Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The slow destruction of gender seems to be on a steady rise.
What does sexual orientation have to do with gender?

Quote:
I guess people are not allowed not to like anything anymore. You have to approve and like everything...
You can like or dislike whatever you want, and nobody was asking them to "approve" of this couple's relationship... they were only asking to be served like any other customer, which I don't think is asking too much of a civilized human being. There are many things & people I don't like, but I still treat them with respect until they've given me a reason to act otherwise.

I work in public service (where we literally have no choice regarding these laws), and you don't think I have to help people I don't like? For crying out loud, we even had a group of neo-Nazis who used to visit my old library - and my Jewish self still served them with a smile, provided them with excellent service, and even laughed at their stupid jokes from time to time. They were generally well-behaved and respectful towards the staff & patrons, so we had no reason to treat them poorly based on their beliefs. One of them had a crush on me, though, which was kinda weird considering I always wear a Star of David necklace.

Quote:
What do some people expect out of the inn keepers?
To follow their state's laws, or stay out of the service industry.

Quote:
That they should think one way all their lives- build a business with a certain vision-
What was their vision, exactly? I've pointed out numerous times that it's not advertised as a Catholic inn, so how was anyone supposed to know of this secret vision?

Quote:
Then suddenly the world is turned on it's head and they are supposed to instantly adapt?
Yeah, pretty much! Society is constantly evolving, and people usually adapt... not exactly rocket science, and if you're the type who can't adapt, methinks running a public-serving business isn't the best choice of endeavors. Lots of old people have trouble adapting to our modern digital society, but I don't hear them asking everyone to stop using smartphones & computers in their presence.

Quote:
Why did the marrying couple simply just walk away and go else where?
Because they shouldn't have to - plain and simple. Have you ever been a victim of blatant prejudice? If so, did you just shrug your shoulders and walk away? If you haven't ever experienced this, I think you can't tell others how to feel and act when it happens to them. And whatever happened to fighting injustices? Our nation is practically BUILT on civil protest, and fighting for equality when others are oppressing a certain group... but now that it's the gay community's turn, we're supposed to expect them to give up and walk away? That seems like a dangerous move to me, as it will send the message that "you can get away with breaking the law and discriminating, while nobody will do a thing about it." Just wait until that reaches you or somebody you care about, and then I have a feeling you'll change your tune.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-30-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
Ultimately, but it requires more than a simple majority - why? Because our founders recognized the danger of the mob, and the dangers of easily persecuting a minority.
Ah so majority of 51% is a mob and at 78% voice of the people. Got it.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 PM

635 posts, read 539,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Ah so majority of 51% is a mob and at 78% voice of the people. Got it.
Obviously we can't have a democracy without majority rule, but we've taken institutional measures to make sure change doesn't come quickly.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What happened to a business owners right to refuse service? I guess business owners have no rights either. Maybe they run a family oriented business and did not want a bunch of gay pride folks running around.
So...gay people are somehow a detriment to a "family oriented business"?

I guess it would be ok, by this logic, for a couple of guys to want to keep their business racially pure and, therefore, not want a bunch of coloreds running around.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
And still as in any democracy: majority rules.
But our country is not a democracy...it is a democratic republic. One of the reasons for that is that it provides some protection against mob rule.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:08 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
And still as in any democracy: majority rules.
We are a Constitutional Republic. Public majority does not rule.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
But our country is not a democracy...it is a democratic republic. One of the reasons for that is that it provides some protection against mob rule.
Why are you calling tax paying law abiding citizens a mob?

Old 08-30-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
We are a Constitutional Republic. Public majority does not rule.
Of course it does. Majority vote elects the Congress. Majority vote in Congress passes laws.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:16 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
As someone who grew up in the fifties and sixties, I find the continual comparison of gay rights to civil rights for African Americans offensive. There is absolutely no comparison. I bet those people making those statements are under 40.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:20 PM

635 posts, read 539,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
As someone who grew up in the fifties and sixties, I find the continual comparison of gay rights to civil rights for African Americans offensive. There is absolutely no comparison. I bet those people making those statements are under 40.
Well yeah, the homophobic sorts are just old geezers who will be dying off soon enough. So really, in that sense the debate is moot, since it's inevitable - I can't think of a single conservative friend of mine who gives a crap about gay marriage (or doesn't just support it outright).

Quote:
Of course it does. Majority vote elects the Congress. Majority vote in Congress passes laws.
To be precise, the public majority does not rule, the elected majority does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies