Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Fact? Haha.

It's a just resolution to the willful violation of a just law.
Do what? What in the hell are you talking about? What has been presented that is not a fact, as concerns crime stats? And how so-called "hate crimes" are defined and applied?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 10:31 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Fact? Haha.

It's a just resolution to the willful violation of a just law.
Fact --- It wasn't a willful violation. The enforcement, punishing agency in Vermont stipulated the owners acted in good faith.

This was a vindictive punishment orchestrated by the Vermont Human Rights Commission's Executive Director, who's also on the Vermont ACLU's Board of Directors.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
You need to bring your source for stats on ethnicity and rape. As long as it is a legit source (not some white supremacist website)
Department of Justice official figures. Here is a good article on the subject:

FrontPage Magazine - The Truth of Interracial Rape in the United States

To see the real truth of the matter, let us take a look at the Department of Justice document Criminal Victimization in the United States, 2005. (Go to the linked document, and under "Victims and Offenders" download the pdf file for 2005.)

BTW -- I am NOT a white supremicist. Nor a racist (whatever the hell that means anymore, anyway). I just do not choose to ignore the truth just because it is not politically correct to ackowledge it. If anything, I am a Southern conservative and make no bones about it. Now if THAT makes me a "bigot", then so be it.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,370,768 times
Causation does not imply correlation. The stats (I did not look at them because I am very sleepy at this point) do not imply a relationship between race and crime. If you do not understand the first sentence I wrote you can google it.

And your source mag seems to be very worried(for what transpires) with race and crime on whites. MPO rape is a crime of opportunity, so I do not believe is a hate crime, because the main motivation ( I do not believe) is the race of the victim. I would say it can be defined more realistically as a hate crime based on gender, but not on race.

Let me give you an example: most white collar crime is committed by white people and most victims are minorities, does that imply the crime is a hate crime ? NO IMO. Money crime in this concept are also crimes of opportunities, the criminal does not commit the crime based on the race of the victims. Or I do not think so.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Sure, my "original statement" was an off topic response to an off topic post by another poster about hate crime laws.
Fair enough. And I gave you my own answer.

Quote:
No, they're not that at all. Bias motivated sentence enhancement laws are get tough on crime measures that put worse criminals behind bars for longer stretches of time.
That is an admirable sentiment in some ways. But it isn't enforced equally and, to use the phrase again, everybody really knows it. The whole underlying intent is eventual thought control.

Quote:
It shouldn't suprise you - I actually understand what bias motivated sentence enhancement laws are. To classify an entire type of crime under such laws doesn't make sense.
Why not? As expressed in the earlier column I linked, murder is murder, rape is rape, burglary is burglary, and mopery with intent to gurk is..wellll, something! BUT, the crime is the crime. The mindset of the guilty party has nothing to do with it.

I am not really proposing that inter-racial rape be made a "hate crime". For one thing, I don't believe in the concept at all. For another? As I said, it is the crime itself, not the thought behind it.

And really, let's be honest. If "hate crime" enhancements were really applied truly objectively and statistically? Then I would bet the fortune (if I had one) that the very folk who advance them now, would be the first to scream bloody murder over it all.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Causation does not imply correlation. The stats (I did not look at them because I am very sleepy at this point) do not imply a relationship between race and crime. If you do not understand the first sentence I wrote you can google it.

And your source mag seems to be very worried(for what transpires) with race and crime on whites. MPO rape is a crime of opportunity, so I do not believe is a hate crime, because the main motivation ( I do not believe) is the race of the victim. I would say it can be defined more realistically as a hate crime based on gender, but not on race.
The "source mag" has nothing to do with it. This same article could have just has easily appeared in, say, "Bird Watchers Of America" mag. Not trying to be a smart-a$$, but the point is, are the statistics correct or not? They come from the U.S. Department of Justice...do they not?

Heck, here are two articles written by a black man, in fact:

Should Black People Tolerate This? - Walter E. Williams - [page]

FrontPage Magazine - What About Hate Crimes By Blacks?

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but IMHO, you are making distinctions that really do not exist, except in wishful ideological thinking...

Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Fact --- It wasn't a willful violation. The enforcement, punishing agency in Vermont stipulated the owners acted in good faith.

This was a vindictive punishment orchestrated by the Vermont Human Rights Commission's Executive Director, who's also on the Vermont ACLU's Board of Directors.
It was willful. They were well aware of the law having been previously sued for allegedly violating it in 2005. I image that as business owners, they were aware of sexual orientation being added to the public accommodation law back when it was passed in 1991.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,370,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
The "source mag" has nothing to do with it. This same article could have just has easily appeared in, say, "Bird Watchers Of America" mag. Not trying to be a smart-a$$, but the point is, are the statistics correct or not? They come from the U.S. Department of Justice...do they not?

Heck, here are two articles written by a black man, in fact:

Should Black People Tolerate This? - Walter E. Williams - [page]

FrontPage Magazine - What About Hate Crimes By Blacks?

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but IMHO, you are making distinctions that really do not exist, except in wishful ideological thinking...
I am mathematician and as I said before (even though the source seems to be DOJ) causation does not imply correlation. You can google it if you do not understand the concept.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

It absolutely was a willful violation...It was the inn owners who cancelled the reception, contrary to the anti discrimination laws of the state...

Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I am mathematician and as I said before (even though the source seems to be DOJ) causation does not imply correlation. You can google it if you do not understand the concept.
LOL So? Am I supposed to fall on my a$$ because you are a mathematician? Hell, I am a notary public! And a political science and history major. LOL Does that elevate me to anything above and beyond the understanding of simple facts? Of course not.

But ok, you are a mathematician. Don't you think the folks who put together the blunt stats are not mathematicians either? If you have that sort of issue, take it up with them, not me or the source.

Do not understand the concept? LMAO. Oh man, you really do have ideological tunnel-vision! *whew* Do you honestly think that those who disagree with you are, by default, incapable of "understanding concepts" What an arrogant attitude.

You are correct, causation does not imply correlation. BUT? What do you say to the blunt (even if unpleasant) fact that the coorelation is undeniable and exists? Young black males commit violent crimes -- including inter-racial -- far and away beyond their percentage of the population. And -- like it or not -- the only way this simple truth is "racist", is to call the outright truth, "racist". We live in a society -- as Fred Reed said -- that covers up what everyone really knows, in their own lives and experience.

What is even sadder, is that there are black men like Thomas Sowell, and Walter Williams, and Shelby Steele, and etc, who know the truth...but they are ignored in favor of hucksters like Sharpton and Jackson.

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-03-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies