Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Do you think Asians are like "herd animals?" Was that mentioned in the Forbes article, or are those the sole intellectual wanderings of one of the brightest lights in the City-Data universe?

The poster above never referred to anyone as a 'herd animal'. He said herd animal mentality. The politically correct term would be 'group think'. And no I dont agree with said comments. What about you. You seem to think Forbes is racist and the CEO of Avon is racist against Asians, despite buing Asian herself. Some people understand that certain groups of people by in large have certain characteristics and traits derived from cultural experiences throughout their lives, other simply choose not to talk about these things both good and bad..just the good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
I once worked for a company that had an asian-american COO. He had worked at several top Fortune 500 companies before ours.

I think if anybody has the social and managerial skills to rise to the top they will, regardless of their ethnicity.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
WTH is "emotional intelligence"?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
There is no such thing as "emotional intelligence." It does make a snappy phrase, though.
Not true, however, there debate in the scientific community about how to exactly define it.

Emotional intelligence

Quote:
Emotional intelligence (EI) is the ability to identify, assess, and control the emotions of oneself, of others, and of groups. Various models and definitions have been proposed of which the ability and trait EI models are the most widely accepted in the scientific literature. Ability EI is usually measured using maximum performance tests and has stronger relationships with traditional intelligence, whereas trait EI is usually measured using self-report questionnaires and has stronger relationships with personality. Criticisms have centered on whether the construct is a real intelligence and whether it has incremental validity over IQ and the Big Five personality dimensions.[

Old 08-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
because of their upbringings which are tilted predominently to study, but dont allow for play and social development earlier in life which are crucial in climbing the corporate ladder. This is her reasoning for why Asians are underrepresented in corporate America in top leadership and managerial positions

Why Aren't There More Asian-American Leaders? - Forbes
I don't know if it's the lack of emotional intelligence, but most Asian cultures focus on conformity, obedience to superiors and getting along within group environments. This runs almost counter in American culture where individualism, creativity, and the ability to stand out in a crowd usually get you ahead.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
That must be why they are taking over the world economy, and getting all our jobs, and buying gold instead of printing worthless fiat currency.

I'd take an Asian with little "emotional" intelligence over a Kenyan with no intelligence whatsoever any day.
I got news for you, most Asian monetary systems are floating or pegged to either a basket of currencies or to the the United States Dollar, such as China.

And while you are talking about Kenyans with no intelligence IBM has just announced they are building a research center in...................Kenya.

IBM launches research centre in Kenya

Quote:
(Reuters) - U.S. computer services company IBM and Kenya have opened a research lab they hope will save the country billions of dollars by developing technology to improve delivery of public services.

While IBM did not say how much it would invest, Robert Morris, vice president for services research, said on Monday it would be a "significant" amount. Globally, IBM ploughs about $6.5 billion per year research and development.

Kenya will contribute $2 million annually over five years, information and communication permanent secretary Bitange Ndemo said, with copyrights for resulting works being shared.

Kenya, Rwanda and other countries in east Africa have vibrant ICT sectors, typified by successful mobile phone-based money transfer services, bill payment services and mobile banking.
Now I do give several Asian countries i.e. South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Malaysia, and Indonesia credit for doing a wonderful job expanding their economies over the past several decades.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I once worked for a company that had an asian-american COO. He had worked at several top Fortune 500 companies before ours.

I think if anybody has the social and managerial skills to rise to the top they will, regardless of their ethnicity.
And that is true. Asians have no trouble getting into the work place -- so they have all the right advantages that way. If they feel there is a bamboo ceiling, it be that many can't prove themselves once they get in that is what's limiting them.

You mentioned an Asian-American. Wouldn't that person be culturally American or more likely able to understand American culture because they would have had some exposure to it?

Old 08-26-2012, 01:15 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
WTH is "emotional intelligence"?
A pseudo-scientific concept fabricated by some well-intentioned folks who want to explain why certain people are better at certain things than others. For instance, they observe a child who is excellent at taking things apart and putting them back together. They observe that this child who shows little interest in classroom activities involving reading and writing and has the attention span of a kitten can devote hours of focused concentration on putting a model car together. How is that? "Why, it's because the child has high kinesthetic intelligence!" You can probably see where this is going. They look at a juggler, observe that few of us can juggle, and conclude that the juggler also must have high "kinesthetic intelligence" along with, possibly, "juggling intelligence." The person who is good at listening and picking up sensitivity in others must have high "emotional intelligence."

It's not unlike the eugenicists of the early 20th century who concluded that since some families seem to have promiscuity within several generations of that family, there must be a promiscuity gene. It's junk science that is foisted upon people lacking in analytical skills and devoid of skepticism.

There is no such thing as "emotional intelligence." There are certainly people with better abilities to interact with others, but that is not "intelligence." There are no "multiple intelligences." A part of all this is the need to make people feel better about themselves. If Johnny is not particularly intelligent, we make an effort to tell Johnny that it's not that Johnny is not intelligent, it's that he's "intelligent in other ways." In truth, Johnny is not particularly intelligent, but he does possess particular skills that are valuable and he is still entitled to the same dignity as the rest of us. Unfortunately, we are unable to be honest about such things, so garbage like "multiple intelligences" is particularly appealing.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
This is her reasoning for why Asians are underrepresented in corporate America in top leadership and managerial positions.
I guess it was just easier just to buy all those American companies. Considering Asian companies like, Toyota, Nissan, Sony, LG, Samsung (Apples recent win aside) I'm not going to be crying over the lack of Asian Americans at the head of American corporations. In fact I might put my conservative hat on and yell "Stop blaming mommy for your lack of success!"

Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
I got news for you, most Asian monetary systems are floating or pegged to either a basket of currencies or to the the United States Dollar, such as China.

And while you are talking about Kenyans with no intelligence IBM has just announced they are building a research center in...................Kenya.
I guess you haven't kept up with China and the other upcoming nations disengaging from our rapidly-devaluating currency. And that they stopped buying our "debt." And that they are working on creating a new world reserve currency. News to you, I guess.

As for Kenyans, I'm sure SOME have IQs above 100. I was talking about the one who has proven his (lack of) intelligence over and over again. As to IBM building a research center--yes, wages are almost nothing there. I can guarantee they won't be hiring their scientists and technical people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies