Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 01:45 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,824,357 times

Advertisements

I won't get smack in the middle of a fight either; however, I will certainly call the police and sadly, too many won't do even that, you are right.

Several years ago, I was showing property to a woman who was separated and was looking for her own place [she had shared her situation w/me]; we were coming out of a property and back onto the road [country - rural area] and he appeared and had literally stopped his car in the middle of the road, jumped out and began to charge towards her [no cell phones at the time nor would it have mattered much given the locale] -- he had not initially noticed me because of the geography of the property; I walked right out into the road and he freaked [he had not gotten close enough yet to her to touch her] when he saw me and ran back to his car and sped away.

We were both fortunate in that situation and perhaps the fact hat he had not been able to get close enough to hit her made a difference as well re: leaving.

When we got back to my office, she called the police.

It was scary for sure, especially for her -- had I had a cell and service, would have called immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:16 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,634,361 times
I lived in an apt next to a man and woman who were living together. This was in the 80's. One day I heard him literally smacking her head in a wall, and running after her doing it on different walls. I freaked out, then called the cops. I heard them come and ask him what was going on. He said, "Nothing." After a few more questions, they left. Wonderful, huh? The woman, thankfully, left him a week later. I saw her moving her stuff out. The crazy landlord called me and said, "Did you call the police"? I said, "Yup." "Well," she replied, "Wish you would have called us first." Hmm. Didn't want the cops at her property. I'm like 20 something and know what to do and they're 40 something and telling me that. Didn't care, I'd do it again. I wasn't afraid of that idiot. But, this guy, you know the sociopathic type, nice smile, always pleasant. And,he was beating the crap out of her. I was really afraid he'd kill her by knocking her unconscious.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:11 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,270,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, thanks. I think we should get involved, but, I am not one who would get in the middle of a fight. Sorry, I have to support folks, myself included. But, I will call the police.

The issue is, some folks would not even bother to call the cops.
Which is my original point to "the cowards." No, I am not asking you to physically intervene in the fight. I am, however, asking you to call and, moreover, be the witness I need to prosecute the idiot.

Domestic Violence is a complicated, VERY complicated psychological issue. I'm not trying to be demeaning, however, the simple fact is the general public do not understand its implications, etc. They especially do not understand prosecuting a case.

MOST victims refuse to provide any sort of statement against their batter's. MOST victims REFUSE to testify against their batter's. In fact, most will say the police lied in their statements to the district attorney. Many, at the scene, will turn against the police during the incident (oh, do I have a wonderful story to this).

The unfortunate fact is simple: The police aren't on every single corner, block, etc. The PEOPLE, the CITIZENS's are the eyes/ears of the police. WE need you and what you saw, heard, smelled, tasted, etc to come forward and tell us what occurred. That way, we can make the proper assessment, arrests, etc.

Everyday I go to domestic violence (DV) calls where the informant is "anonymous." Guess what race fans, the constitution gives suspects the right to face their accuser's. Where are those accuser's when the batter REFUSES (90%) of the time to come forward? NO where to be found. And then, the cycle starts again.

Then the "people" complain the police don't do their jobs. Its all "their" faults. I've NEVER had one DV case go to trial, where I onviewed it, which was dismissed or the defendant found not guilty.

IN 24 yrs of being a police officer, I've gone to trial on ONE case, where the victim refused to testify; without another witness. That witness went forward for the victim; the rest of you who will not? Yes, you are worthless cowards. Hide behind your family, you god, your bible, your whatever; you are cowards.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,459,459 times
I'd call 911.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:31 AM

4,193 posts, read 4,439,563 times
Never had the situation occur as this OP describes, but have a corollary story and my response. From my residence (large apartment building upper floor) one summer night I hear argument loudly coming from adjacent apartment complex. Man and woman, lots of cursing not sure if there is any 'hitting' going on but things were thrown as I heard glass breaking (not sure whether window / glass from door, or beer bottle) - it was typical domestic disturbance type event. What I could make out between the yelling at about 1:30am was someone was cheating on someone and every swear word in the book - a Jerry Springer episode from the adjacent apartments.

The first night it ended (for most part) just before I was ready to do something to shut them up (about 5-7 minutes). Ya know, I'm groggy laying in bed, roll over, can't make out what's going on and then when I become cognizant and roll out it dissipates and has trailed off. However, the second night this happened, it went on longer.

I being at higher elevation and facing down on the where the noise and disturbance was coming from, grabbed my large camping spotlight and went out on my balcony and shone the light in the direction of the arguing idiots. It worked very efficiently, as even though the light was dappled through trees to reach them, in about 30-45 seconds they realized they were being watched - and quieted up. I never bothered calling police as I had no way of knowing if any physical abuse was occuring. Another time this happened months later, I used a laser pointer and they shut up real quick. I think the ominous ness of the unknown (behind the light) and just themselves acting like ***holes made it more unsettling.

If I had a house as the OP describes the scenario I would call 911, I know its not "sexy / chivalry", but in this day and age with mentally ill / deficient, drug / alcoholic abusers, and any myriad of personal emotional variables of those involved in the fight, I have no desire to risk my life. If I had a large guard dog (which I probably would get if I had a house) I may sic it on the idiots if it is daylight and i can determine no weapon. I've always thought people who act like animals should be best dealt with by animals. Only way I'd directly get involved is if the victim was a child or significantly smaller than the abuser as promptness may be only recourse to prevent severe injury or death. Also I recollect another incident long ago as another poster commented, when I yelled at a couple fighting in public ( I don't recall if he struck her), but a man was berating a woman yet when I yelled, "Hey, stop" both those fighting turned and cursed me telling me to mind my own business.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:18 AM

127 posts, read 198,118 times
Depends on the situation, because in some instances you can get shot/ stabbed. Call the cops.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,130,475 times
I would first call the cops. After I make the call I would go outside to try and stop it however being a female I would bring along my trusty baseball bat not that I have any intention of hitting the guy with it but just in case I need to protect myself. Waiting for the cops sadly may take too long which may put that woman's life in jeopardy. I would have trouble sleeping at night if I didn't do everything possible to try and stop her beating.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,258,668 times
"Choot em!"

Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,528,791 times
Calling cops sounds good and all but;

Quote:
Law enforcement officers beat their wives or girlfriends at nearly double the rate of the rest of the population, and trying to control that is not only difficult for the victims but potentially deadly, experts say.

Read more: Police domestic violence nearly twice average rate - SFGate

Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,323,001 times
The issue here, we don't KNOW it is actually domestic violence, maybe this is a stranger attacking a woman. Still, same answer...I will call the police and make a statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies