Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
This.... A big reason low paying jobs go unfilled is people don't want to work, when the illegals don't want them that's when you know the situation is bad. Gas is 4 bucks a gallon and minimum wage is a little over that. Fill up once a week and buy a little food and you basically worked for free.

Cold hard facts Republicans don't want to admit.
Why do you own a car if you are on minimum wage? People haven't heard of bicycles, or busses?

This was my spending with my first job out of college. NOTE: I made more than minimum wage, but wanted to pay down debt quickly, so lived on this budget, and simply saved more.

If I were making minimum wage, I would obviously work two jobs. I would try to work about 65 hrs/week. That is enough so you can still have time to relax/hang out a few nights every week.

65hrs/week, 50 weeks/year: $23,562/yr

Monthly after tax: $1,557
Rent: $300 (crappy apartment shared with two roommates)
Utilities: $150
Bus Pass: $95
Food: $300 (at home and eating out)
Cell Phone: $50
Internet: $75
Health Insurance: $120 (you have a high deductible, but you have it)
Misc. Spending: $120
Savings: $347
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why do you own a car if you are on minimum wage? People haven't heard of bicycles, or busses?
May I ask where you lived? Not every area in this country is bike friendly, and not every place has bus access or has very poor bus access. Many places in this country you have to have a car to get anywhere because our country is built around the car.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
May I ask where you lived? Not every area in this country is bike friendly, and not every place has bus access or has very poor bus access. Many places in this country you have to have a car to get anywhere because our country is built around the car.
This was in Pittsburgh, PA, which is one of the hilliest cities in the country. Personally? For a job I had for four years I rode a bicycle 10 miles each way to/from work. But it definitely is easier to make excuses about unfair pay than to find a way to make it on your own.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
This was in Pittsburgh, PA, which is one of the hilliest cities in the country. Personally? For a job I had for four years I rode a bicycle 10 miles each way to/from work. But it definitely is easier to make excuses about unfair pay than to find a way to make it on your own.
Well I grew up in Virginia Beach, VA and the bus system there was pointless, it would seriously take you hours to get anywhere that is a 20 minute drive away and most of the roads there were very unsafe to ride a bike on for commuting. Also often times people there worked more than 10 miles from where they lived because it is a region that is very hard to find work and housing near each other due to the region's massive sprawl.

Again, our country is built around the car and most cities have poor and non-existent bus service and poor to non-existent bike lanes or any method for bike safety.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Well I grew up in Virginia Beach, VA and the bus system there was pointless, it would seriously take you hours to get anywhere that is a 20 minute drive away and most of the roads there were very unsafe to ride a bike on for commuting. Also often times people there worked more than 10 miles from where they lived because it is a region that is very hard to find work and housing near each other due to the region's massive sprawl.

Again, our country is built around the car and most cities have poor and non-existent bus service and poor to non-existent bike lanes or any method for bike safety.
Live closer and have more roommates. Ride on back roads (who needs bike lanes?). Get a car and join a ride sharing program. Get a motorcycle with 70mpg. Stop making excuses and find a way to take care of yourself.

You seem very comfortable making excuses as to why someone CAN'T make it on their own.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Live closer and have more roommates. Ride on back roads (who needs bike lanes?). Get a car and join a ride sharing program. Get a motorcycle with 70mpg. Stop making excuses and find a way to take care of yourself.

You seem very comfortable making excuses as to why someone CAN'T make it on their own.
And you are talking on a young worker level and most young workers do live closer and have roommates, there are also laws that prevent having too many people living in one place in most cities.

Motorcycles are less efficient when it comes to people who have families and are living off minimum wage.

There are no excuses being made, I just fear you don't see the whole picture of this country and you are simply basing it on your own personal experiences.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
and as for the farm work - how can you possibly get a bus to a remote rural location?

and a bicycle, not much good if the farm is 25 miles out of town.

or is a 50 mile round trip, daily bikathon suggested ?

Old 08-29-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
And you are talking on a young worker level and most young workers do live closer and have roommates, there are also laws that prevent having too many people living in one place in most cities.

Motorcycles are less efficient when it comes to people who have families and are living off minimum wage.

There are no excuses being made, I just fear you don't see the whole picture of this country and you are simply basing it on your own personal experiences.
Can you please post these laws?

There is no law against living in a POS house/apartment with three roommates. Hell, my first apartment out of college was so bad, we had to shut the AC off before using the microwave to not blow a fuse. Obviously everything is less effective. You won't (and shouldn't) have the same standard of living on minimum wage that you do on a higher salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
and as for the farm work - how can you possibly get a bus to a remote rural location?

and a bicycle, not much good if the farm is 25 miles out of town.

or is a 50 mile round trip, daily bikathon suggested ?
Then don't do farm work? How is that a difficult problem? Personally, in this economy, it is nothing short of stupid to live in a rural location.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:33 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
Quote:

Then don't do farm work? How is that a difficult problem? Personally, in this economy, it is nothing short of stupid to live in a rural location.
If you can find work its not. Is it much different living in a big city where all the work is on 188th and nowhere?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
If you can find work its not. Is it much different living in a big city where all the work is on 188th and nowhere?
There are dramatically more options in urban areas than they are in rural. If you can't find a job on 188th st, there are hundreds of other employers close by. If you can't find work with Farmer Joe, you might just be screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies