Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Illegals are not finding any problem with those restrictions. Why is it that they can manage to find the houses and apartments that allow 4 or 5 families, or 14-15 unrelated individuals to live in them?

Unrelated occupancy restrictions are not universal, and exist primarily in higher-cost areas that seek to exclude lower-income people. Since illegals prefer low-rent housing to high-rent housing, illegals generally stay away from places with unrelated occupancy limits independently of knowing whether such restrictions exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:34 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And exactly why would they be having babies when they know they cannot support them or provide them a home?

Would you say that you actually want to reward people for their irresponsibility? And remember -- it takes two parents to make a baby. Two minimum wage jobs comes out to almost $15 an hour.
I agree with the bolded. However I'm not naive and realize that the poor often have children regardless if they can afford them. It is not the child's fault that his/her parents decided to have him when they weren't able to support him/her. That is all I think about(especially as a mother myself). I also know, as a mom, that children are expensive. And I cannot imagine taking care of a baby making minimum wage. It just doesn't seem feasible to me. And you do realize that the largest group of welfare recipients happen to be single mothers? Which means there isn't a father with a minimum wage job that can also contribute. I don't want to reward folks for irresponsibility, but I'm not cruel enough to punish innocent children for there parents irresponsibility.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:00 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
And how much is daycare for this baby? So, now they're down to 10 bucks an hour. Easier to stay on the gov't dole and get free healthcare. They have absolutely no incentive to go to work. If we are to eliminate the welfare system, we have to start offering livable wages, and/or some type of free healthcare to offset, or "these" people will stay on welfare forever. It's a catch 22 for sure.
Pretty much. There isn't a way around it. Expecting people to take care of families on minimum wage is really mind boggling to me. Either the wage needs to be increased and welfare needs to be reformed, or things need to say as is, with some tighter restrictions on certain things.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice#1#Puncher View Post
Minimum wage is usually temporary at most jobs. Once you've been there awhile you get a raise, a promotion, another job may come along that pay more within your skill set, etc. Welfare will always pay you crap. If you attempt to ride the "system" you will never make more than that six hundred some odd bucks, social security will be less when you go to draw it, and credit is non-existent for welfare lifers . Plus as far as enjoying life, poor living sucks unless your mama will let you crash on her sofa until one one of dies.
Thats a nice though but many places will not give you a raise and if they do it is very little. Just because you are there for a while is not guarentee of a promotion either especially since many places have only a certain amount of higher postions.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 PM

109 posts, read 168,073 times
Interestingly enough I work in health care and the only people who come to the ER and clinic over fifty times a year are on Medical assistance...So I believe there is an entitlement issue.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
fairly self-explanatory title.

why work if you can get the same or more on Welfare?

what is the incentive to get a job in this case?

what is the solution?
You only allow welfare for a few months, then only give access to food stamps and homeless shelters.
Some people are very lazy and refuse to work unless they are paid more than their value to an employer.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
fairly self-explanatory title.

why work if you can get the same or more on Welfare?

what is the incentive to get a job in this case?

what is the solution?
Where is your proof that minimum wage pays less than welfare?

Also, families on welfare eventually do find work in the overwhelming majority of situations and this was the reality before welfare.

Also, welfare reform in the 1990's created a time limit of 5 years. So there is no choice. Why do conservatives keep lying about welfare and pretending that it wasn't changed in the 1990's with a time limit and work requirements?

Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
People wondering about life on min wage or thereabouts should read this: "Everyone Only Wants Temps" | Mother Jones

Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
I know a very hard working person who has worked hard his whole life thru. From early teens started working, doing everything on his own, even working sometimes 3 jobs at a time while going to college.

Wanted to be able to give his family when he had one a good family life, and now he does, and he has achieved giving his family a great life and stable.

Recently he said to me, i am going to stop working and going on welfare, they can support me now. Food stamps sound great! i oddly looked at him, and said say what!

He smiled, asked him why he was smiling, he said did you beleive me for a minute, i said of course, you seemed serious to me.

He wanted to see my opinion, which pissed me off a bit.

He then said, those who have always worked, know nothing but hard work, and for so many that use the system for their own benefit, is just wrong. Pissing him off, that there are capable people who can work, but using the system.

The thing is with this guy, his family never bought above their means, if they could not afford it, they did not need it, which is my way of thinking. And they never got into a never ending credit trap. The route of all evil credit cards.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:33 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Where is your proof that minimum wage pays less than welfare?
Federal Min wage is
Quote:
The federal minimum wage for covered nonexempt employees is $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. The federal minimum wage provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Many states also have minimum wage laws. In cases where an employee is subject to both the state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher of the two minimum wages.
U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Wages - Minimum Wage

So, $7.25 (Fed min wage per hour) x 40 hours = $290 per week

Example:
CA $8.00 (min wage per hour) x 40 hours = $320.00 per week
U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Minimum Wage Laws in the States

Max unemployment (Welfare) CA = $450.00 per week
What Is The Maximum Unemployment Benefit In California? - Blurtit

So, yea, its better to stay on unemployment then to work for minimum wage, at least up to the point of unemployment running out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies