Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Unless they're trying to break in and harm you, you call the police and say there's someone on your property and have them hauled away. Chasing someone with a gun is unnessesary.

Well, it's a good thing I don't give a damn, then, isn't it? I frankly don't want to live around a bunch of fundamentalist cowboys anyway.
...and Texans damned sure don't want any more limpwristed liberals in their state. Texans can't support both the illegals and the lazies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
A handgun? Really? Good God, the more I read about people in that state, the less I want to go there.
We don't want your liberal commie ass here anyway, so stay where you are....And yes we carry handguns here....

Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If the producers want to charge me less for doing the dishes and laundry in non peak hours, it's OK by me.
That's the way it's supposed to work but they could just charge you more peak hours.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Do those bills from homes with smart meters have the usage broken down by peak/non peak usage ?

I'm still on the old meter and my bill is use one number..total usage.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do those bills from homes with smart meters have the usage broken down by peak/non peak usage ?

Some companies allow users to access their accounts and monitor usage daily. The costs are broken down by peak/off peak usage as well as kwh and money spent at various times of the day.

Saving Electricity at Home with MyUse Energy Analyzer - Pedernales Electric

Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
There are loonies in Texas who claim that the meters give them headaches and can microwave their skin, but I'm sure there ar eloonies like that in every state.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:10 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
...and Texans damned sure don't want any more limpwristed liberals in their state. Texans can't support both the illegals and the lazies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
We don't want your liberal commie ass here anyway, so stay where you are....And yes we carry handguns here....
Don't know what's "limpwristed" "lazy" or "liberal commie" about the rule of law as opposed to vigilantism, but okay. <shrug>

Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I can access my Texas SmartMeter account where I can view and/or download a database of daily usage, broken down to 15 minutes increments. I can tell when I shut down the electricals at night, start up in the a.m., turn things off to go to work, run the dryer. Or even which days were hotter than others. I used to chart that in a spreadsheet w/graph.

Now my TXU bill shows me the daily usage total. And sends me weekly emails with billing for that week, with estimated month cycle cost.

And the day of the hard freeze last year, with rolling brownouts, I called the service line - chose residential - within 2 minutes my electricity was back on and did NOT go off again that day. They can do that with SmartMeter.

Oh, and that SmartMeter is about three feet away from my pillow, just on the other side of the bedroom wall.

And about that monitoring usage... TimeWarner/RoadRunner now have a website where I can view my daily data usage.

Get used to it, monitoring is just a part of subscribing to any utility. The day will come that we will pay by that usage. Not necessarily a bad idea.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
There are loonies in Texas who claim that the meters give them headaches and can microwave their skin, but I'm sure there ar eloonies like that in every state.
There are people sensitive to certain noises so I wouldn't label them as "loonies".

I've been near wind towers and heard a constant hum and near those big power lines and heard a constant hum. I was looking at RE and knew I couldn't live near them or I'd go crazy.

Now train tracks is no problem. The noise of passing trains all times of the day and night do not bother me.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
The key unanswered question is did the utility worker leave when asked?

If he refused to leave, a simple over-reaction on the part of the woman who should have called police.

If she STARTED with a handgun because of some stupid crap she read on Red State. Charges are in order as well as a mental competency hearing.

>Good for Texas. This is Step 1 of the government telling to when you can run your dishwasher or turn on your washing machine.<

You can still run it any time you want. Having people run high draw appliances during peak electric usage periods affects the power grid. If you insist on running your DW exactly when everyone else is simply trying to keep their houses under 100 degrees in a Texas summer, you deserve to pay more for it.

The RF thing seems to be pushed by this group: The American Academy of Environmental Medicine. They have an agenda, agree with it or not they do have an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies