Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Overweight???

From a certain perspective Christie looks rather typically American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Yes, but that was also pre- the 24/7 news channel. Time have certainly changed. For example, no way would Taft get elected today wearing that fur boa.
You make a good point. In the days when most people got their news on the radio and newsprint people could get to like him before they ever found out how big he was. Plus people just didn't judge being overweight as harshly back then as they do now.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
We have an image culture, so I'm going to say no with few exceptions. He'd have to have huge public support--not just crazy right-wing loons, but we're talking full-out bipartisan public support--an everybody loves the guy--approach. I don't see it happeneing anytime soon.

I'm willing to listen anyone rational. When candidates start rejecting basic science, I turn 'em off. It tells me immediately that are incapable of making decisions based on evidence, which is critical to any leadership role. I automatically reject any and all creationists as supportable candidates. Period.

One of the reasons I didn't shy away from prospects like Huntsman was because he stated he wasn't a creationist. Christie on the other hand, won't say, which is almost as bad. It might seem trivial, but that position is crucial to understanding a politician like no other.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:14 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You make a good point. In the days when most people got their news on the radio and newsprint people could get to like him before they ever found out how big he was. Plus people just didn't judge being overweight as harshly back then as they do now.
Interesting what Roosevelt did to keep his disability in the background, which it seemed the press back then had no problem going along with:

"He discussed the various ways Roosevelt handled his disability with the public, allowing no photographs of his wheelchair, arriving hours early to speeches and events in order to avoid the public eye, and using his bodyguards and his sons as crutches so he could stand while delivering his presentations.

"There was self-discipline on the part of the press and the photographers," Harris said. "I believe that Franklin Roosevelt made a tacit agreement with the American public."

FDR made 'tacit agreement' with public about disability

Old 08-28-2012, 09:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Not a big Chris Christie fan, but...we elected a smoker, ex-druggie,and worst of all a Kenyan who could not run a 5K to save his life, so why not a fat guy?

But Christie is not running so what exactly is the point?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:15 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Christie got elected governor, so he can run and WIN the presidency. Obama as thin as he is , is a lousy president so my image of thin is not in!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:19 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
Let's hope he's never elected to the presidency. And not because of his weight. He's an obnoxious puke!

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Not a big Chris Christie fan, but...we elected a smoker, ex-druggie,and worst of all a Kenyan who could not run a 5K to save his life, so why not a fat guy?

The first and third Presidents of these United States admitted to smoking marijuana.

Your point?

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Although if it were a choice between "overweight" and "black", I think we all know which way that one would go...

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

The fact that he got such a plum assignment at the convention means the powers that be in the party were giving him an audition for the next step in his career. Many of them wanted him to run this time, if you'll remember. He does connect with people in a way the Mitt will never be able to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies