Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times

Advertisements

Ok, getting ready to head to work just as winds are picking up here. Work in the hospital's boiler room which includes the emergency generators. Am also the first responder to non-medical emergencies like people trapped in elevators (like during a power outage). Only some of our 14 elevators are on emergency power and if we have a power blink while an elevator is moving, it could cause it to fail and not run until the contractor comes to jump out circuits to get it moving again. Have a bag packed incase I can't come home in the morning. Wife and dog are staying with her 93 year old godmother in an old brick home. Not too worried about this storm. With heavy rains, our sewage drains can get backed up because the sewage treatment plant drains into a nearby canal that's long overdue for dredging. We have city water supply so we're good there. Roads to our home flood but our home is dry. Utility company is very good at getting power back up. I'll know if there's no power by calling my house to see if the answering machine picks up. Our home also has double windows for added protection. Hospital also has double insulated windows hurricane rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Cat 1 storms are for pussys and news casters.

Nothing to see here.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Nothing to see here.
For winds, I agree. However, it's the rains and flooding that's the danger. We've had weeks of steady rain. Our soil is completely saturated. Add more rain and tropical force winds and trees will come down on people's homes as well as power lines coming down.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Best of luck to you, Dave, and everyone in the path of Isaac.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
For winds, I agree. However, it's the rains and flooding that's the danger. We've had weeks of steady rain. Our soil is completely saturated. Add more rain and tropical force winds and trees will come down on people's homes as well as power lines coming down.

Lived through three tropical storms over the last two years that will likely produce more rain then this thing will. That tropical storm that sat on the coast for a week drenched us for a week straight, think we had 20 plus inches of rain.

I just don't think its a big deal. I'll pay attention to Cat 2's or above, Cat 3 really gets my attention, even on the rain totals.

We won't be talking about this thing in two days.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Nothing to see here.
That's easy for you to say up there in Tennessee, ain't it?

Old 08-28-2012, 09:28 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Ok, getting ready to head to work just as winds are picking up here. Work in the hospital's boiler room which includes the emergency generators. Am also the first responder to non-medical emergencies like people trapped in elevators (like during a power outage). Only some of our 14 elevators are on emergency power and if we have a power blink while an elevator is moving, it could cause it to fail and not run until the contractor comes to jump out circuits to get it moving again. Have a bag packed incase I can't come home in the morning. Wife and dog are staying with her 93 year old godmother in an old brick home. Not too worried about this storm. With heavy rains, our sewage drains can get backed up because the sewage treatment plant drains into a nearby canal that's long overdue for dredging. We have city water supply so we're good there. Roads to our home flood but our home is dry. Utility company is very good at getting power back up. I'll know if there's no power by calling my house to see if the answering machine picks up. Our home also has double windows for added protection. Hospital also has double insulated windows hurricane rated.
Hang tough, Dave. The Southern Baptist Disaster Relief teams will be on the way shortly to help with feeding, chain-saw, flooded housing mud-out, child care and a host of other things.

Just as soon as we can get in, we'll be there.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That's easy for you to say up there in Tennessee, ain't it?

Just moved here from Florida, I've had my share of storms.

Hell, Thunderstorms scare me more then Cat 1 storms

Old 08-28-2012, 09:48 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:

You ain't kiddin', there are parts of my yard too squishy to drive the lawn tractor.
There's nowhere for 20 inches of rain to go. I hope my big pines remain erect.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
And it's a slow storm - meaning more and more rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies