Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
i hop[e the send in the national Gurd to stiop you from Breaking up canada and the U.S. so Guess were on a diffrent sides on the Issue.
Well like I Stated this isn't a movement to break the country apart but more of a vision of what it would look like if it happened. I do very much enjoy living in america I just thought this concept was interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Wonder what would be the Capital of Cascadia, Seattle or Vancouver?
Seattle could be because it would be slightly more centrally located.
However, Vancouver, is a bigger player on the World stage.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times
Anyway, I read the entire thread.

I see the American way of life as being unsustainable. I also feel that paying taxes to fund American imperialism around the world in the name of 'spreading democracy' is unethical. The Canadian government is essentially America's little brother now, Canada is no longer the gentle humanitarian place it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

I think Cascadia would be a great model for a new kind of sustainable civilization. A lot of ideas originate here and spread throughout the world, such as the Hippie movement, Grunge rock and the coffee culture.

Oregon and Washington aren't as 'generically American' as people think either. There's a distinct culture and way of life here. People feel more connected to the outdoors and it lacks the 'tension' that I feel in other parts of the United States. It does feel more like Canada imo in that sense.

Another major difference between Cascadia and most of the rest of the continent is the greatly reduced role religion plays in life here. A slight majority of people in Oregon, Washington, and BC are Christians but we're not a 'Christian culture' like most of the rest of the US and Canada are. Being a non-believer isn't really a stigma here.

BCers do seem more against the idea than Oregonians and Washingtonians I've noticed. Pretty much everyone I've mentioned the movement to (most people still aren't aware of it though that's changing) here seem to think it's a good idea. The Canadians in BC I've talked to about it for the most part hate the idea, probably because they look down on America (guess what, so do we in OR/WA!!). I guess Canada is still in much better social and political shape than the States are, but American ideals and corruption are unfortunately quickly infecting their country too.

The Cascadia movement would also re-align the human world better with the Earth. The 49th parallel cuts right across a bioregion.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I honestly don't care about the capital. Actually, I'd rather Cascadia had a mobile government rather than a capital. Or maybe we could be like South Africa in the sense we could have several capitals.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Victoria BC should be the capital, that is one beautiful city.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Actually Seattle is a bigger player then vancouver in terms of economics but because of the recent olympics alot of light has been shined of vancouver. I actually think the capital should be in victoria. It can be turned into a true political city that can already tie in with the rich culture and could become a major world city, I could even see a possible tunnel across the strait ( if populations significantly rise) connecting port angeles to victoria making in more accessible.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Actually Seattle is a bigger player then vancouver in terms of economics but because of the recent olympics alot of light has been shined of vancouver. I actually think the capital should be in victoria. It can be turned into a true political city that can already tie in with the rich culture and could become a major world city, I could even see a possible tunnel across the strait ( if populations significantly rise) connecting port angeles to victoria making in more accessible.
Well, if Juneau can work in AK, maybe Victoria could work in Cascadia?
However, I think you're way better off, having the Capital city on the mainland.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Well, if Juneau can work in AK, maybe Victoria could work in Cascadia?
However, I think you're way better off, having the Capital city on the mainland.
Well as long as a bridge or tunnel is built, It would be pretty accessible for most people and I think its good being closer the one major city.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:52 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not really mimicking, just the drug laws would become more relaxed and life in the northwest tends to be much easier and more laid back than other areas of the country.
So you want to secede just to be allowed to smoke pot?

Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 PM

I feel like revitalizing Chinuk Wawa as a language would give Cascadia a lot more chance to be free.

Chinuk Wawa Language - Greetings and Yes/No - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies