Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Here, let me have Admiral McRaven explain it to you. He knows a bit more about this than you do (or me).

Hopefully that clears it up...
All servicemembers who hold clearances are held to the same obligation. There is no special one just for S.F.

I am glad that you found and posted this, as an explanation of what I said to you. I hope it does explain to you how this works

What I did not know that was that are willing to pre-review books. Thank you for that detail, I did not know.

A LCDR I served under on my first boat [Ralph Chatham], was named and thanked in the front cover of Tom Clancy's first book, for revealing so much to him. I was surprised to see it. As I knew the guy. When I read that book, I was shocked at how much classified information they had exposed.

Ralph was charged and imprisoned. However as it turned out Ralph had done his homework, and he had documented each classified item and found where Congress had already revealed each of them to the public. So in Clancy's Novel no individual secret was being revealed for the first time. The DOD dropped the charges against Ralph and Tom, eventually Tom was picked up as a mascot. Given tours and encouraged to write more, which was when he shifted to using ghost writers.

In that case, I was certain that Ralph had violated the law, as many of those things were classified as far as I knew. But Congress had already published each of those tidbits. So Ralph was able to prove that he and Tom were quoting Congressional speeches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 08:04 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Not after they retire..!
Not true. It depends on what agency and what level you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies