Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 01:12 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I hate this. We should have fought harder. Now it is to late and our children will suffer because of it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/05/op...ic-sector.html
Who is the mayor of Chicago and who is the governor of Illinois and why are they so racist?

You do know, right, that this has nothing to do with the federal government except for the "stimulus." Let me tell you what happens. To get re-elected state politicians get stimulus money from the Obama administration and hire all of these new state and local government workers. They like to brag about teacher, firefighters and police. Some of the workers who were going to lose their job from out of control state and local spending, get to keep their job another year. You with me? But what happens in Years 2, 3, 4 and 5? See they actually can't afford those new hires beyond the first year unless the federal government continues to subsidize them with more stimulus money every stinkin' year. They should not use federal stimulus money to hire people because beyond Year One, the responsibility to pay them belongs to the state and local government and they don't have the money.

So, they fire them or raise your taxes and they prefer to do the latter because that makes the state and local public employee unions happy. The Federal stimulus is making your taxes go up. But President Obama comes out smelling like a rose.

Do some research. See which states have a balanced budget and/or a surplus/rainy day fund. Check out the party of the Governor and the Mayor that are now in the hole with these workers they can't afford.

Sucking at the federal government's teat is not a formula for success and it's the workers and taxpayers that suffer.

I might add, this is similar to unfunded state mandates. The federal government passes a law. The state and local government has to pick up the tab. The President can say, "I didn't raise your taxes" and he didn't. He preferred to make the governors the bad guys who will have to raise states/local taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 01:19 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
You probably have not been paying attention then.

this is at schools but its the same in the workplace.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/06/ed...ata-shows.html
But does race have anything to do with the cause? Statistically, blacks live in lower income neighborhoods. This is a socioeconomic problem, not a racial one. No one cares what race you are any more. Drop someone with any color skin into a poor school/neighborhood, and they will develop discipline problems. Racism isn't the problem, people (of any color skin) not having equal educational opportunity across school districts is.

And please don't give me any crap that this happens in the workplace. People couldn't care less what color your skin is when applying for a job. It is hard enough to find a decent candidate for most professional jobs today without any kind of discrimination.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:32 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Default Really?

Quote:
I hate this. We should have fought harder. Now it is to late and our children will suffer because of it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/05/op...ic-sector.html
Really?

This is the tea party's fault?

The Republicans want smaller government, because it costs less for one thing. For another, the federal government should not even have a Dept of Education, because that's a state's issue, not a federal one.

The less money government costs to run, the less in taxes it needs to collect, the more money people have to spend, they more they spend, (and not send to the government), the more money the economy has flowing, and the more the economy grows.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 PM

3,523 posts, read 3,728,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Really?

This is the tea party's fault?
Per the OP's article:

Quote:
While the private sector has been adding jobs since the end of 2009, more than half a million government positions have been lost since the recession.
Go where the winners are located. Also, if racial demographic trends continue, and whites will make up a lesser percentage of the population, in a few decades the only enemy country that will exist may be in oneself. Whose fault will that be?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:12 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
But does race have anything to do with the cause? Statistically, blacks live in lower income neighborhoods. This is a socioeconomic problem, not a racial one. No one cares what race you are any more. Drop someone with any color skin into a poor school/neighborhood, and they will develop discipline problems. Racism isn't the problem, people (of any color skin) not having equal educational opportunity across school districts is.

And please don't give me any crap that this happens in the workplace. People couldn't care less what color your skin is when applying for a job. It is hard enough to find a decent candidate for most professional jobs today without any kind of discrimination.
And on which planet do you live?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Brown v. Board of Education caused our educational standards to plummet. If we can work around that, Tea Party or not, hallelujah.
You're serious? You prefer the Plessy v. Ferguson decision of 1896 which allowed state-sponsored segregation?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
And on which planet do you live?
The one where Rahm Emanuel is firing public workers and beating on the unions.....and the OP and apparantly you.....are blaming the teaparty.

Seriously, I feel the most pity for the far right and left that are REPEATEDLY fleeced by thier party because they are just tribal party loyalist sheep.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

That's unpossible! Chicago couldn't possibly be racist and beating down on the unions etc. They are democrats!

Suckers.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Wow, bro. Fascinating. I read your posts and then I get to thinking of all the blacks that I see in my private-sector existence. My uncle's black x-girlfriend's daughter, who, with her master's degree, was laid off as a pharmaceutical rep during the recession. Did she cry about racism when she lost her above-median-average salary? Nope. She adapted and became a head-hunter. Or the black guy who works in my company and is pretty high up in his skill-based position. I guess it was the fact that he, being former military, and a divorced dad with daughters, learned skills that were beneficial to employment in the private sector, just like everyone else is supposed to do. Or the black woman who, also clearly with a college education, was a representative of the company that came to explain the new benefits package. She stated she also had three children. Or try walking into major retailers in any city (at least the one that's nearest to me), and you will see black men--yes, black men--employed. Or all the blacks and Hispanics that I have worked with in my working lifetime. Then I read posts like this on C-D, and it just makes me wonder if some who post here are the only person of a differing color in the area in which they live.
The OP is from detroit and blames the incarceration of the former may Kwame Brown on racism.

Basically, you can crap on him, steal his money and as long as you have a magic (D) at the end of your name and the right skin color.....you will get away with it.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

To ignore that racism didn't help create this imbalance in the first place is utterly unfair.

It's like a boxing match where I start out the first round with a baseball bat and after you are battered I declare round 2 to just be a "fair fight".

That being said, it's a complex problem, not solveable in a pithy sentence or three.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The OP is from detroit and blames the incarceration of the former may Kwame Brown on racism.

Basically, you can crap on him, steal his money and as long as you have a magic (D) at the end of your name and the right skin color.....you will get away with it.
I have asked you this before with no response. What are you talking about? Im not fron Detroit and could careless about whoever this is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies