Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,181,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
No, they do not have to throw it away. And yes, in many cases they can give away food to homeless shelters. They may not be able to legally sell expired food straight off of their own shelves (even though it still happens unintentionally), but I'm not aware of any law on the books stating that expired food must be thrown in the trash.
Another poster corrected me, it not a legal mandate, but the risk of being sued for giving out potentially harmful food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 AM

223 posts, read 282,415 times
It would be nice if certain things could be bought in smaller quantities...for example, bread. I never go through a loaf of bread before it gets too stale or molded to eat. And for those who say put it in the refrigerator or freezer - ick. I hate the way it makes it taste.

For the most part, my husband and I buy very few vegetables and fruits at a time. Our fridge is filled up mostly with beer, sodas, juice and condiments, (the condiments are compliments of my MIL who likes to pick up tons of that kind of stuff at food fairs, festivals and small markets.) One might get the impression looking inside of it that we don't eat well, but we pick up veggies and fish on an as needed basis. We do buy chicken and beef at Costco and portion it out, and put it in our large deep freezer.

Leftovers from restaurants - it's not my fault such huge portions are served. I don't overfill my stomach and don't want to join the ranks of the overweight, so most often I have huge amounts of food leftover in restaurants. I only take home the leftovers if it's something that will heat up well the next day. I would gladly pay 75% of the cost of regular size to only get 50% of the regular size portion, but that sort of system probably ain't going to happen in dining establishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies