Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
Mitt Romney as a plumber, I have to say, the notion amuses me...
Maybe you have hit on the next job for Obama. He will be looking by January, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Probally Joe.
That was my first thought.

Actually, it's an excellent analogy. America is drowning in sewage. The plumbing must be fixed. I'd use Plumber #2.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Plumber 2 but he is no gun smith, so don't go there if your gun is broken.... It's too bad he didn't get that fixed, and went the wrong way.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Say you are on Angie's list trying to find a plummer in your area. You found a couple of possibilities, but they both have mixed reviews. You do a little more research and find out more about them.

Possible plummer #1: Seems like a real down to earth guy. The kind of guy you would like to go grab a beer with. He's nice and polite, but he can't seem to get his employees very organized to work together. He is really good at telling you how he is the perfect man for the job, but his success rate for fixing the plumbing problems are around 40%. You ask him about his approval rate and he says that was because the previous plummer messed things up too badly for him to fix things. He says, very sincerely, that he just needs more time, but can't tell you how much time he needs.

Possible plummer #2: He seems kind of up tight. Kind of rigid and awkward. He tries to joke with you, but it's kind of awkard and you have to force a smile. Can't go have a beer with him because he doesn't drink. But, his business is booming. He keeps having to hire more people to keep up with the work. He effectively gets his employees to work together to get the job done quickly. He is so sure in work that he himself doesn't even take a paycheck as leader.

Which would you choose?
Alright, let me go at this.

Possible plumber #1 (we'll call him #1) has experience, not very good results, and problems with staff cohesion. Possible plumber #2 (we'll call him #2) may or may not have experience, is apparently really doing well, and is great with staff cohesion. My guess is that ignoring the personal qualities and assuming that #2 has the experience to handle my particular plumbing problem, I'd choose #2 from the description provided.

The problem is that this doesn't translate very well outside of your hypothetical scenario in the "plumbersphere." Politics isn't plumbing. It doesn't work that way. Politics is based on desires, not on how things work. Plus, your description of #2 is quite misleading. If Romney or whoever this describes had been this universally great president in the past, I'm sure he'd win a landslide. But that's not what the situation is, and anybody who understands politics would know this.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Well if a plumber told me that if he couldnt fix a problem in a given amount of time that he wouldnt deserve to keep the job I would hold him to his word.
I wouldnt want a plumber who really never managed a plumbing business or any other business for that matter as my contractor.
As for the other, he has a strong history of results, has proven himself able to deliver on many things, I dont care what his personality is, just fix the problem.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:24 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,194,543 times
I'd probably go with Jake Plummer. Sure he was inconsistent and threw interceptions in bunches, but he was a gamer he seemed to play above his level when you least expected it.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Say you are on Angie's list trying to find a plummer in your area. You found a couple of possibilities, but they both have mixed reviews. You do a little more research and find out more about them.

Possible plummer #1: Seems like a real down to earth guy. The kind of guy you would like to go grab a beer with. He's nice and polite, but he can't seem to get his employees very organized to work together. He is really good at telling you how he is the perfect man for the job, but his success rate for fixing the plumbing problems are around 40%. You ask him about his approval rate and he says that was because the previous plummer messed things up too badly for him to fix things. He says, very sincerely, that he just needs more time, but can't tell you how much time he needs.

Possible plummer #2: He seems kind of up tight. Kind of rigid and awkward. He tries to joke with you, but it's kind of awkard and you have to force a smile. Can't go have a beer with him because he doesn't drink. But, his business is booming. He keeps having to hire more people to keep up with the work. He effectively gets his employees to work together to get the job done quickly. He is so sure in work that he himself doesn't even take a paycheck as leader.

Which would you choose?
You forgot to add that at one of the plumbing companies plumber #2 was at he made other plumbing companies go broke. Also that his plumber friends have prevented plumber #1 from doing his job.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:41 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,804,161 times
I would choose another channel than Hannity! His plumber analogy is lame!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Ummm... Republicans.... *cough, cough*

White House Plumbers?

You might want to pick another analogy. Because that didn't work out too well for you last time.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,361 times
Plumber number two sounds like this guy

Moonstruck - Copper Pipes.avi - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies