Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
All of the women featured in your pics are dark/lovely and living quite well, but this doesn't change the fact that around the globe, white/light skin is usually the universal standard of beauty for women.
But what does it matter to the individual woman what the "universal" standard of beauty happens to be? One is not trying to date/fall in love with/marry the entire world.

That is why this whole "pity party" on the part of dark skin women is so asinine. The women who spend so much time worrying about not being the "universal" standard of beauty or have the attributes that certain types of men want can't even see that there are many men who do want women like them.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
I hope this thread is not too controversial, but for quite sometime, I've noticed that mixed raced children (with one black parent) are often labeled as black. Mixed race children who are white/Asian, Hispanic/Asian, Native American/White, Arab/white, or any other combination are however, viewed as 'mixed,' and not solely labeled as one race.

I'm black American and I clearly understand the history of slavery, etc and the "one drop rule," but what I don't understand is the insistence on continuing to keep the "one drop rule" alive. In truth, I've heard a number of blacks state that a black/white person is black, I've even heard black guys and white women state that their children are black. And of course, we all know that the majority of white & black Americans view Obama as black, despite the fact that his mom is white. I'm very perplexed by this, because from my understanding, it takes two black people to create a black child, just as it takes two white people to create a white child.

What does this say about the black American identity, if a black/Asian, black/white, black/etc, are labeled by society as black? Is it merely political?

On another note, are Soledad Obrien's children black as well, since her mom is a black Hispanic? Are they mixed, since Soledad is half Australian and half black/Hispanic, or white since her husband is white, and the children have mostly white lineage?

Recall Karyn Parsons from the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air." Karyn is mixed (half black/half white), but are her children black? Or are they white, since her husband is white and they clearly favor the father.

Is Wentworth Miller (Actor) black as well, since he has one African parent & one European parent?

This is all very confusing and it seems politically driven.
There is no cut and dry answer to this question: some 1/2 black people choose to be referred to as black, some people refer to 1/2 blacks as racial mixed (I am inclined to think of kids who are 1/2 black as being racial mixed) or multi racial. As for kids who have a white parent and a 1/2 black parent I think most would consider the children white or as I said, racial mixed.

Is it politically driven? I would say, much of the time it is..

Old 09-03-2012, 01:11 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
What is that going to prove?
....sadly, that you are a VERY sick young woman

Exhibit A...your thread on skin lightening Skin Lightening that can look natural

Old 09-03-2012, 01:20 PM

734 posts, read 932,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
But what does it matter to the individual woman what the "universal" standard of beauty happens to be? One is not trying to date/fall in love with/marry the entire world.

That is why this whole "pity party" on the part of dark skin women is so asinine. The women who spend so much time worrying about not being the "universal" standard of beauty or have the attributes that certain types of men want can't even see that there are many men who do want women like them.
Your statements are true, but generally speaking, women who fall under the white/light standard of beauty tend to have a better quality of life, because they are usually able to attract men with greater economic resources. I am not in any way stating that some dark skinned black women (such as the ones featured in your post) aren't able to attract high powered men, but generally, the darker the woman is, the harder it will be for her to do so...

Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Your statements are true, but generally speaking, women who fall under the white/light standard of beauty tend to have a better quality of life, because they are usually able to attract men with greater economic resources. I am not in any way stating that some dark skinned black women (such as the ones featured in your post) aren't able to attract high powered men, but generally, the darker the woman is, the harder it will be for her to do so...
Uh; coming from a dude, me, Ok I prefer light women but IF I met a dark skin lady who was sweet as in NOT having that "hood rat" attitude and so on, we'd talk and may go out. Never say never in the dating world.

Tho what many dudes seem to like are the smaller noses and not so thick lips but I can't stand real thin lips. But Queen Latifah can look real good, thin lips and all.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:39 PM

734 posts, read 932,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; coming from a dude, me, Ok I prefer light women but IF I met a dark skin lady who was sweet as in NOT having that "hood rat" attitude and so on, we'd talk and may go out. Never say never in the dating world.

Tho what many dudes seem to like are the smaller noses and not so thick lips but I can't stand real thin lips. But Queen Latifah can look real good, thin lips and all.
I'm curious if you date "hood rat" light skin women, because you did not state that they should have a sweet attitude. I guess you just assume that if the woman is light, she will be sweet, while the antithesis is true for dark women.

Also, are you light, with a small nose and thin lips?

Old 09-03-2012, 03:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
My point is, the universal beauty standard for women is white/light skin.

There are women who are very lovely but are by no means dark black women, being paraded as the standard of "black" beauty. The irony of this is being lost on a lot of people: Why can’t truly dark-skinned African American women be held up to represent a skin tone that touches the word “black” much more closely and more realistically than many of the celebrated light "black" beauties?

I am however in no way stating that dark skin women should feel inferior or expect others to pity them.
I'm sorry baby, but we must be living in different universes.
I've never held light over dark or vice versa.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm buying it. I've seen it to some extent first hand. Racism exists and so do class differences. And men will find certain women more appealing. That isn't unique to racial differences. Tall skinny flat chested women might find their shorter, more voluptuous friend getting more attention. Fat girls might feel bad for no one asking them out. I also think looks-ism is worse for women than for men.

Just like the skinny 5' guy in high school may find he's less popular than the 6' muscular jock. He may get fewer dates because heightism, weightism, body-typism, and all the other isms actually do exist. Those who didn't get the "right" looks just have to accept it, do their best but be glad they're not in a wheel chair or laying in a vegetative state --- you can always find someone who has it worse.

Terms like "red-headed step child" and "treating one like the fair-haired child" didn't just happen. People do that kind of thing. And it's why songs like this one were written:

At Seventeen - YouTube
Those are vastly different and more generalized scenarios than the nyanna pity party I referred to. Black people don't make a practice of discussing color and/or ancestry to random audiences. Even within families it doesn't often come up.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
I think a lot of the reason why bi-racial kids call themselves black is because of racism.
My best friend is half black half white.
He didn't meet his white grand parents until he was 12 years.
His white Mom was thrown out of her house at 17 because she was dating a black man!
His Moms sister(my best friends Aunt) got pregnant when she was 17,and was allowed to stay in the same house.
You guess it,the sisters 25 year old boy friend was white!
I know of at lease 50 personal stories just like this one^^^^^
I sit and wonder,how many Kids have not even met their grand parents because of racism.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:20 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Those are vastly different and more generalized scenarios than the nyanna pity party I referred to. Black people don't make a practice of discussing color and/or ancestry to random audiences. Even within families it doesn't often come up.
Okay you are not being very truthful Lucario. You are really doing your best to invalidate my experiences
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies