Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 05:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post

Because that was the rule in many states until a few decades ago.

Or maybe because that's how they self-identify.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:40 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I hope this thread is not too controversial, but for quite sometime, I've noticed that mixed raced children (with one black parent) are often labeled as black. Mixed race children who are white/Asian, Hispanic/Asian, Native American/White, Arab/white, or any other combination are however, viewed as 'mixed,' and not solely labeled as one race.

I'm black American and I clearly understand the history of slavery, etc and the "one drop rule," but what I don't understand is the insistence on continuing to keep the "one drop rule" alive. In truth, I've heard a number of blacks state that a black/white person is black, I've even heard black guys and white women state that their children are black. And of course, we all know that the majority of white & black Americans view Obama as black, despite the fact that his mom is white. I'm very perplexed by this, because from my understanding, it takes two black people to create a black child, just as it takes two white people to create a white child.

What does this say about the black American identity, if a black/Asian, black/white, black/etc, are labeled by society as black? Is it merely political?

On another note, are Soledad Obrien's children black as well, since her mom is a black Hispanic? Are they mixed, since Soledad is half Australian and half black/Hispanic, or white since her husband is white, and the children have mostly white lineage?

Recall Karyn Parsons from the "Fresh Prince of Bel Air." Karyn is mixed (half black/half white), but are her children black? Or are they white, since her husband is white and they clearly favor the father.

Is Wentworth Miller (Actor) black as well, since he has one African parent & one European parent?

This is all very confusing and it seems politically driven.
Have you heard of the 1 drop rule invented hundreds of years ago?

Old 08-21-2013, 06:51 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
They label their kids as "black" to get free stuff and preferred treatment later in life. Maybe there should be a standard for playing the "black card". What happened to the "paper bag" test?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:27 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
It's the "one drop" rule that applies only in America. Where have you been?

Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
It's the "one drop" rule that applies only in America. Where have you been?
Most anglo white people in 2013 don't use the 1 drop rule anymore if a person looks "white". Tho it seems many Black people in 2013 DO still use 1 drop to try to keep the quadroons on the "plantation" of the mind.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:19 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
They label their kids as "black" to get free stuff and preferred treatment later in life. Maybe there should be a standard for playing the "black card". What happened to the "paper bag" test?
You do know the paper bag test still didn't label those that passed it as white right?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
When I was kid in the midwest there were probally a half a dozen kids I went all through school with who were bi-racial. I went to public schools that were 70%-40% white. These kids lived in the black part of town, sat with the black kids in class and at lunch, played with the black kids at recess, couldn't date white boys or girls, their parents worked black jobs, and the teachers treated them like they were black . Thats what made them black.

I'm sure even at Hollywood high and all the upstate wealthy private schools every where notable and uper class bi-racial couple's send their kids, the kids are known as someting other than white and that too makes you black. Being black is howyou feel not how you look.
LOL at the bold. What is a "black job." lol. I wonder if I work a "black job."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post

I am still waiting to get my free black stuff. LOL. What do black people get for free. And don't tell me welfare because I'm not on it. I didn't get a free college education and didn't get a free house and didn't get anything free that anyone else, who is non-black can also get for free. And if you bring up UNCF, like I mentioned last year in this thread, I went to an HBCU (which is more expensive than a non-HBCU college) and people who are non-black can get UNCF scholarships if they go to a UNCF school.

I also don't know what "preferred treatment" is.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
I can't answer what makes people identify themselves in any particular way. It probably varies. Either way, however they identify themselves is okay with me. It's up to them and what makes them happy.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 AM

4 posts, read 5,661 times
The best and easiest way to explain this is if it was the early 1900s. Would they be a master or a slave?

Old 08-23-2013, 06:30 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keitaro2187 View Post
The best and easiest way to explain this is if it was the early 1900s. Would they be a master or a slave?

That's a horrible way to answer the question.

1) There was no slavery in America in 1900

2) Slave owners were white, black and Native American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies