Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:09 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,819,457 times

Advertisements

As much as algore likes to talk, and show people how smart he is, why would he refuse to debate something he feels so passionately about? Chilly reception for debate offer :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Steve Huntley (http://www.suntimes.com/news/huntley/589551,CST-EDT-HUNT05.article - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 08:29 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
I guess you missed the great news!!! Al Gore is going to debate the skeptics!!!!

Al Gore 'Debates' Global Warming for the First Time in YouTube Video; 'We Debate, You Decide' environmental education video series launched by DemandDebate.com

Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,674 times
That sounds like it'll be an extremely fair, balanced "debate"...

Old 10-05-2007, 08:56 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Playing a previous video is not a debate.

"Al Gore has refused multiple invitations to debate in-person about
global warming," said Steve Milloy, executive director of DemandDebate.com.
"So we've decided to let video of his previous remarks do the talking for
him,"
Milloy explained.

de·bate / [di-beyt] noun, verb, -bat·ed, -bat·ing.
–noun 1. a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints

Old 10-05-2007, 09:17 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,202 times
I would prefer they just use sock puppet and have them "debate."

Seems more honest.

All of the sides have some corporate hands up their @ss, anyway.

Would work for the Presidential debates, as well.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:27 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
The debate...any debate...isn't actually the issue. The earth is doing what it's doing, and it's going to continue doing exactly that regardless of who debates with whom. Evidence has been steadily mounting that some of the implications of what the earth is doing are undesirable from the point of view of things ranging from continued human prosperity to continued human survival. To the extent that this trend continues, there will come a point when even rigged and biased arguments will be too absurd and too futile even to raise. At that point, the deniers of today will claim that no, they were strongly in favor of addressing climate change all along, and were merely trying to focus the attention of proposed corrective plans and actions into areas of the highest priority and concern so that scarce resources would not be wasted on more trivial issues. Those claims, like many of those that they put forward today, will be a lie...

Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
As much as algore likes to talk, and show people how smart he is, why would he refuse to debate something he feels so passionately about? Chilly reception for debate offer :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Steve Huntley (http://www.suntimes.com/news/huntley/589551,CST-EDT-HUNT05.article - broken link)

While you're so concerned with trying to debunk global warming by trying to debunk Al Gore, scientist all over the world finding additional evidence related to global warming. So you're actually looking in the wrong place. It's like asking a physican assistant on the benefits of brain surgery for a brain injury. Why not ask a brain surgeon?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:40 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,674 times
The brain surgeon isn't as easy to demonize.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I think the posters make good points, and I want to add mine here as well.

Gore states (paraphrased) in the article that he won't debate whether global warming is a fact, just how to address it. He may be correct, and perhaps not. My take on it is what is the big deal at this point in time?

If he were considering a presidential run, then I could see this as a public discussion issue. I would be willing to bet that he never seeks a major public office ever again. His political career is over, and he knows it. I don't think he regrets it much either, he isn't one of those folks with a "fire in the belly" to be president. I think he prefers an academic or think tank environment.

Next, the issues regarding global warming itself, and other issues, are largely intertwined. Even if global warming is vastly overstated, the issues of energy independence, cleaner air, better long term use of natural resources, reduced cost of daily living (with same or better living standards) and use of renewable energy technology are all benefits practically everybody can agree with. In working towards these goals, the climate issue, if it even is an issue, can be addressed as a byproduct, instead of an objective.

I would personally prefer to focus on how to make life better, create new interesting jobs, and gain freedom from political extortion from foreign nations. The sideline benefit of helping reduce global warming, if it is even a legitimate issue, would just be a byproduct vs being the objective.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
I was being sarcastic in my enthusiasm for the debate. Al Gore refuses to debate because he doesn't want to be questioned, and he's too busy increasing his net worth and that of his friends at GIM.

The video is a humorous poke at Gorebal and the fact that he won't debate.

Oh, and evidence certainly is mounting that global warming is a crisis. It was 75 last Friday, today its supposed to be 89!!!!! 14 degrees in 7 days, WE ARE ALL DOOMED TO DIE OF UNMITIGATED CLIMATIC DISASTERS THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN BEFORE!!!!! WE ARE ALL GOING TO HELL IN A NON BIODEGRADABLE HANDBASKET!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies