Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this a racist thing to say?
Yes 20 25.64%
No 58 74.36%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:16 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,411 times

Advertisements

Let the white men have them. I sure will not be marching in the streets to stop them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 06:03 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
What about marrying someone because you love them??? Novel idea right?
Bah, in today's society of easy divorces why bother getting married for something as silly as love. Marriage has become the new dating it seems.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 AM

288 posts, read 283,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
It's a STUPID thing to say, that for sure. And it's not true because I've seen some ugly mixed people!

I was thinking the same thing, I have seen people say they will marry someone pretty are handsome just so they can have some pretty kids. What these people don't realize is that their child can look like anybody on either side of their families and that the child can come out looking like one of the unattractive people in the family..

Old 08-30-2012, 06:13 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
Racist? No...self-hating yep.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
In my view, mixed-race children tend to be either be above-average in looks, or very ugly.

In terms of black/white mixes especially. It largely depends on facial features.

If you look at a full-black kid for instance who is albino. Albino Africans look "weird", because the light skin with the African facial features don't go well together. It is especially noticeable in the nose and hair.

When I look at mixed-race black/white kids. If they have largely Caucasian facial features and relatively light skin, then they tend to look very attractive. If they have largely African facial features and relatively light skin, they just look weird.

I think its funny that someone said something about mixed-race Mexican/white... Mexicans are almost all mixed-race already(part native-American and part Caucasian).

As for good looks in general. I think we should separate the average from optimal.

Basically, I would say that mixed-race kids tend to be less likely to look very unattractive, because they tend to have better symmetry. But I can't say that they are the most attractive either. When it comes to the most attractive women in the world, very few are "mixed-race". Of the highest paid supermodels, there aren't any that are mixed. Of course you do have some women with small admixtures of other races, like Alessandra Ambrosio. But I would hardly say that she actually looks mixed at all.

Alessandra Ambrosio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, I think race-mixing might be a relatively safe "hedge" for less attractive people, who are hoping for a decent-looking child. But for more attractive people. You will have much higher odds of attractive kids by finding someone attractive who basically looks a lot like you.

Of the more attractive women who have gotten into "interracial relationships", I can't think of any of their kids who are very attractive.

I mean, look up Heidi Klum, Madonna, Halle Berry, Tiger Woods, etc. Not the best looking kids.

Strangely enough, I think the best looking celebrity mixed kid, is actually Michael Jackson's daughter Paris.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-30-2012 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Biracial people do seem to have a proportionally high number of good looking people.

Not sure if it's racist, but it's certainly shallow and stupid to marry someone based on what your kids might look like.
My ex wife once said when we were breaking up, "You're the reason our kids are so ugly".

Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No different than someone saying they want to marry someone tall so they can have tall kids. Or someone smart so they can have smart kids.
Quote:
What about marrying someone because you love them??? Novel idea right?
Gee, we agree. I didn't say it was a good basis to decide who to marry, just that it isn't racist.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If an Asian or black woman said, 'I want to marry a white man because I think mixed kids look better.'

(this is something my sister actually said).

Do you think this is a racist thing to say?

I think it's at least somewhat racist, since it's suggesting one race, albeit not your own, is superior...but then again, you could say thinking whites look better is just an opinion, or a preference, but it's at least a grey area, would you agree?

I see nothing wrong with intermarrying, but I'm just thinking about the reasoning behind it.

Is it "racist"? No.
Is it indicative of self hatred? Yes, very much so.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
My ex wife once said when we were breaking up, "You're the reason our kids are so ugly".
That was harsh.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Not quite sure how you feel it's racist when your sister is talking positive about mixed race babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies