Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Is this the woman you're refering too? Wow, she is scary. You can see just how she's attacking those poor defensless people. Oh, the humanity......
Your attempt to paint all same-sex marriage supporters as violent mobsters is really weak. It's okay, though. You're on the losing side of history. Rational people recognize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Generally when somebody wants to have sex with the same gender, that's a pretty good clue.
Are we talking about having sex or marrying a person? As farvas I know see IA not a prerequisite to marriage, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
th
You're stretching so hard to make a point, I don't even get your line of reasoning here... but if I understand your so-called logic, we should also ban straight marriages for all the same reasons. Who's to say a married straight person isn't really a homosexual in disguise? That wasn't uncommon back in the day, but I guess you've never heard of the terms "on the down-low" or "beard."

But I'm not really sure what this has to do with gay marriage/rights, or why it justifies discrimination against those who actually ARE gay (or straight, for that matter).

There is no discrimination: neither straight or gay can't marry a person of same sex. Marriage is an union between a man and a women regardless of their sexual orientation.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
There is no discrimination: neither straight or gay can't marry a person of same sex. Marriage is an union between a man and a women regardless of their sexual orientation.
Marriage is also a union between a man and a man, or a woman and a woman, in Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Iowa, Washington DC, and most likely in Washington state and Maryland by next year.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Sorry for posting this so long after the controversy. I moved and have been travelling a lot for work and haven't had the time.

I just want to say that Chick Fil A appreciation day really opened my eyes to the plight of Gays in this country. I drove by my neighberhood Chick Fil A and it was just packed full of people. And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people. But what struck me the most was how proud some of them looked to be standing there. Granted I'm sure that some people were there to support religous freedom but most of them were there because they don't like Gay people.

I thought to myself what a bunch of hypocrites. They say they want the Government out of their business yet they want the Government to legislate THEIR morality. I like millions of other people will never eat at CHick Fil A again. Also I now 100% support gay rights and will help advance them in anyway I can.

Chick-fi-la, didn't change your mind.
Your mind was made for you long ago, when that dude, ed you in the and you liked the attention. The attention you were not getting from mommy.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:45 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Are we talking about having sex or marrying a person?
Either or. But this whole line of reasoning is moot, since we also don't have any way to test straight people before allowing them to marry... unless I'm mistaken, if so I'd love to hear how they do that!

Quote:
As farvas I know see IA not a prerequisite to marriage, is it?
What?? Please try again, this time in English.

Quote:
There is no discrimination: neither straight or gay can't marry a person of same sex.
Did you get the official "overplayed arguments against gay marriage" handbook, or what? Next you'll pull out "G-d made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" or my favorite "next thing you know, people will be marrying their dogs!!"

This one is easy, and I already have a stock answer since it's so old: There is discrimination, when ONLY straight people are allowed to marry the consenting adult of their choice. Can gay people marry the one they love? No. Can straight people? Yes. And if gay marriage is legalized, no rights will be lost from either side - as then everyone would be able to marry a man or a woman, regardless of their own gender. Inclusive vs exclusive, what part of that do you not understand?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:48 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Marriage is also a union between a man and a man, or a woman and a woman, in Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Iowa, Washington DC, and most likely in Washington state and Maryland by next year.
Will see about that

Old 09-01-2012, 09:48 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Sorry for posting this so long after the controversy. I moved and have been travelling a lot for work and haven't had the time.

I just want to say that Chick Fil A appreciation day really opened my eyes to the plight of Gays in this country. I drove by my neighberhood Chick Fil A and it was just packed full of people. And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people. But what struck me the most was how proud some of them looked to be standing there. Granted I'm sure that some people were there to support religous freedom but most of them were there because they don't like Gay people.

I thought to myself what a bunch of hypocrites. They say they want the Government out of their business yet they want the Government to legislate THEIR morality. I like millions of other people will never eat at CHick Fil A again. Also I now 100% support gay rights and will help advance them in anyway I can.
Their hatred is all they have left.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:51 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
In the absence of any other logical explanations for wanting to limit the freedoms of an entire class of people, I find that unlikely (that it's not a matter of bigotry).
Quote:
What class of people? Anybody can claim to be gay or bi.... what class?
Do we have a way to determine who is gay, straight or bi?
That's the part you choose to argue with? Seriously? So you admit there are no other logical explanations for wanting to limit their freedoms?

Your strategy is beyond transparent. Don't like the challenge extended to you? Divert attention away from it by starting a new debate over semantics or ultimately irrelevant points!

Old 09-01-2012, 09:53 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
I just want to say that Chick Fil A appreciation day really opened my eyes to the plight of Gays in this country. I drove by my neighberhood Chick Fil A and it was just packed full of people. And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people.
Speaking of being judgemental, hateful and prejudiced. What a rude and disgusting thing to say

Old 09-01-2012, 09:53 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I'm prejudiced because there is not a single scientific study that proves, or even claims, homosexual behavior isn't simple preference? Really?

Fine. Provide the study that makes that claim. I'll be waiting right here for you.
Are you blind? I just posted that the work of Dr Kurt Freund starting from about 70 years ago was just the beginning of a large body of scientific research that shows homosexuality is not a 'matter of choice' as you claimed. It's not difficult to research this yourself.

Why do you think all the major health associations make statements like this?
Quote:

Royal College of Psychiatrists

"Despite almost a century of psychoanalytic and psychological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heterosexual or homosexual orientation. It would appear that sexual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment."
Quote:

AmericanAcademy of Pediatrics

“…the current literature and most scholars in the field state that one’s sexual orientation is not a choice; that is, individuals do not choose to be homosexual or heterosexual.8,11

AmericanAcademy of Pediatrics (2004) Sexual Orientation and Adolescents
http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;113/6/1827
As for 'waiting forever', here's a post from over a year ago where I presented some examples of recent studies and all you did was cherry-pick a sentence out of context from one of the studies to misrepresent it and then completely ignored the other studies.

Scientists have known for a long time that there are structural and functional differences between the brains of men and women. More recently, studies like those I’ve linked to below, have shown conclusively that there are structural and functional differences between the brains of heterosexuals and homosexuals.

The significance of these studies is that the structural differences were fixed in place before birth and were not likely to be the result of learning or “nurture”. Fetuses do not "choose" the development of their brain structure.

Along with the twin studies that show that identical twins have a more than 50% chance of both being gay compared to the approximately 5% chance in the general population, other studies showing biological differences between gays and straights, as well as studies that show there is no evidence that child sexual abuse causes homosexuality, as well as research into the failed so-called 'conversion' therapies, I’d say that was fairly conclusive evidence that homosexuality has genetic and biological environmental causes, and is not result of “nurture” or "choice".

Add to that, there aren't any credible peer-reviewed studies that show that homosexuality is a choice, or is learned, or is caused by parenting, or by being sexually abused as a child, or is a mental illness.

Quote:

Sexual orientation and its basis in brain structure and function.

Current evidence indicates that sexual differentiation of the human brain occurs during fetal and neonatal development and programs our gender identity—our feeling of being male or female and our sexual orientation as hetero-, homo-, or bisexual. This sexual differentiation process is accompanied by many structural and functional brain differences among these groups.
http://www.pnas.org/content/105/30/10273.full.pdf
Quote:
Sexual differentiation of the brain and behavior.

During the intrauterine period the human brain develops in the male direction via direct action of a boy's testosterone, and in the female direction through the absence of this hormone in a girl. During this time, gender identity (the feeling of being a man or a woman), sexual orientation, and other behaviors are programmed.

As sexual differentiation of the genitals takes places in the first 2 months of pregnancy, and sexual differentiation of the brain starts during the second half of pregnancy, these two processes may be influenced independently of each other, resulting in transsexuality. This also means that in the case of an ambiguous gender at birth, the degree of masculinization of the genitals may not reflect the same degree of masculinization of the brain.

Differences in brain structures and brain functions have been found that are related to sexual orientation and gender.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17875490

Quote:
Gay brains structured like those of the opposite sex

Brain scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is a biologically fixed trait. The scans reveal that in gay people, key structures of the brain governing emotion, mood, anxiety and aggressiveness resemble those in straight people of the opposite sex.
The differences are likely to have been forged in the womb or in early infancy, says Ivanka Savic, who conducted the study at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden.

"This is the most robust measure so far of cerebral differences between homosexual and heterosexual subjects," she says.

Previous studies have also shown differences in brain architecture and activity between gay and straight people, but most relied on people's responses to sexuality driven cues that could have been learned, such as rating the attractiveness of male or female faces.

Brain symmetry

To get round this, Savic and her colleague, Per Lindström, chose to measure brain parameters likely to have been fixed at birth.
"That was the whole point of the study, to show parameters that differ, but which couldn't be altered by learning or cognitive processes," says Savic.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14146-gay-brains-structured-like-those-of-the-opposite-sex.html
Quote:
PET and MRI show differences in cerebral asymmetry and functional connectivity between homo- and heterosexual subjects

The present study shows sex-atypical cerebral asymmetry and functional connections in homosexual subjects. The results cannot be primarily ascribed to learned effects, and they suggest a linkage to neurobiological entities.
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2008/06/13/0801566105.full.pdf+html

Quote:

Relationships among childhood sex-atypical be... [Arch Sex Behav. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Several studies report that the cognitive performance of gay males is more typical of heterosexual females than heterosexual males.

Furthermore, the brain waves of gay males while performing verbal and spatial tasks are more similar to heterosexual females than males or significantly different from both."

Relationships among childhood sex-atypical behavior, spatial ability, handedness, and sexual orientation in men. Cohen KM. Arch Sex Behav. (2002)

and a few more brain studies:

Brain response to putative pheromones in homosexual men

Sexual orientation and the size of the anterior commissure in the human brain

Brain response to putative pheromones in lesbian women

http://reberlab.psych.northwestern.e...ron_BN2007.pdf

Last edited by Ceist; 09-01-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies