Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 07:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,823,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unounehana View Post
A few posts back I addressed this. There legally, as the mayor of Boston stated, nothing he can do. He even stated that it's not within his power. So no...there was no REAL threat of censorship. I suggest you research your assertion a little more.
Right -- like I said, he backed down only after the people reminded the wannabe-fascist that he doesn't get to dictate others' viewpoints. Before then, he wasn't nearly so deferential:
"Chick-fil-A doesn't belong in Boston. You can't have a business in the city of Boston that discriminates against a population. We’re an open city, we’re a city that’s at the forefront of inclusion. That’s the Freedom Trail. That’s where it all started right here. And we’re not going to have a company, Chick-fil-A or whatever the hell the name is, on our Freedom Trail."

I suggest you research your counter-assertion a little more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,314,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Boycott or not, explain why their profits are up 4 times that of last year?

How are long lines around the business a boycott?

With any business, you pick your market and it sounds like Chick-fil-a, chose their market wisely.

Chick-Fil-A in my area has ALWAYS had lines around the building at lunch. That hasn't stopped, though I did remark a virtually empty parking lot at dinner time just two days ago.

Their brand has suffered, period. No matter if the diminished brand now attracts throngs of new followers who eat their because they too are little bigots and support things like death penalty for gays.

They will always be asociated with negative conotation to at least half the country. Before, they had a neutral-to-positive association with everyone.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:32 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,650,588 times
Quote:
Boycott or not, explain why their profits are up 4 times that of last year?

How are long lines around the business a boycott?

With any business, you pick your market and it sounds like Chick-fil-a, chose their market wisely.
In more ways than one.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,823,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
The Chick-fil-A issue was not about freedom of speech. Dan Cathy had every right to voice his opinion, and others had every right to voice their disagreement. All y'all know damn well what that day was about.
That particular day absolutely was about freedom of speech. The attempted boycott of CFA by various groups has been common knowledge but the general public had erstwhile left it to the culture warriors on the right to engage in "support CFA" counter-campaigns. When politicians began explicitly threatening CFA's freedom of speech, that's when the public at large got involved to remind them that this is not how governance works in a free society. Even people who think Cathy is a right imbecile queued up that day.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,050,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
Sorry for posting this so long after the controversy. I moved and have been travelling a lot for work and haven't had the time.

I just want to say that Chick Fil A appreciation day really opened my eyes to the plight of Gays in this country. I drove by my neighberhood Chick Fil A and it was just packed full of people. And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people. But what struck me the most was how proud some of them looked to be standing there. Granted I'm sure that some people were there to support religous freedom but most of them were there because they don't like Gay people.

I thought to myself what a bunch of hypocrites. They say they want the Government out of their business yet they want the Government to legislate THEIR morality. I like millions of other people will never eat at CHick Fil A again. Also I now 100% support gay rights and will help advance them in anyway I can.
What about ALL of the black voters in CA that voted against gay marriage? Just because blacks (and Hispanics) weren't out there picketing Chick Fil A, doesn't mean that they were supportive of gay marriage. Not everyone is a picketer.

Those of macho cultures and people who are really religious tend not to be supportive of gay marriage.
When I worked two years ago at another job at a college with a gay GM, the ones against gay marriage were a group of Brazilian, Moroccan, Turkish and Portuguese nationals and the only American born person against gay marriage was a spoilt Jewish 21 year rich kid type. And their main objection to gay marriage was not that they minded two men living together, but that the whole church ceremony nuptials and the word "marriage" they wanted to keep for heterosexual unions. The Jewish kid also was offended by gay pride parades with the "obscene" costumes and dances celebrating their maleness.

What would help is if the Pope and the church would be accepting of the gay lifestyle and marriage. Most people who are against gay marriage are ones who take their religion very seriously, especially the devout organized religion types. And devout christians and muslims come in all races, not just white ones.

Quote:
African American voters in California gave 90 percent of their ballots to Obama and 70 percent of them voted yes on Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage in the Golden State
And later in the same news article, it states that a recent poll has 55 percent of all African Americans are against gay marriage. So it's not just old white people who are against gay marriage.

Don't blame blacks for Obama's reticence on same-sex marriage - PostPartisan - The Washington Post

Last edited by miu; 09-05-2012 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Added facts.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,395,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Chick-Fil-A in my area has ALWAYS had lines around the building at lunch. That hasn't stopped, though I did remark a virtually empty parking lot at dinner time just two days ago.

Their brand has suffered, period. No matter if the diminished brand now attracts throngs of new followers who eat their because they too are little bigots and support things like death penalty for gays.

They will always be asociated with negative conotation to at least half the country. Before, they had a neutral-to-positive association with everyone.

In the last month alone, the Chick-fil-a brand has shown no signs of suffering. In fact it has grown tremendously, with record profits to prove just that.

It is you that is suffering the reality of your demise.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,314,236 times
Quote:
In the last month alone, the Chick-fil-a brand has shown no signs of suffering. In fact it has grown tremendously, with record profits to prove just that.

It is you that is suffering the reality of your demise.

"Reality of my demise"?

Bless your simple little heart. You think CHICKEN is a surrogate for something more meaningful.

The only thing on the "demise" right now are more and more old people who die every day, taking their close minded mentality with them, and making way for the younger voting generation that supports or is neutral to gay rights issues.

That should....well, scare you to death if you're a "traditional marriage" supporter!

Conservative old folks have driven the economy into the ground, sent our generation to fight your idiot wars in the sand box, and now in your last years have entrenched yourself on this culture war issue that you are slowly losing by virtue of the fact that your strongest base will be dead in 20 years time.

I will say the same thing to you that I do the others: Tick tock. It's only a matter of time:

There is at least a 20-point generation gap between Millennials (age 18 to 29) and seniors (age 65 and older) on every public policy measure in the survey concerning rights for gay and lesbian people.
•More than 6-in-10 (62%) Millennials favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry, 69% favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to adopt children, 71% favor civil unions, and 79% favor employment discrimination protections for gay and lesbian people.

•Among seniors, only about 1-in-3 favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry (31%) or favor allowing gay and lesbian couples to adopt children (36%). A majority of seniors favor civil unions (51%) and employment discrimination protections for gay and lesbian people (58%), but support lags significantly behind Millennials and the general population.

•Nearly half (49%) of Republican Millennials favor allowing gay and lesbian people to marry, compared to only 19% of Republican seniors and less than one-third (31%) of all Republicans.

•Forty-four percent of white evangelical Millennials favor allowing gay and lesbian people to marry, compared to only 12% of evangelical seniors and 19% of evangelicals overall.

•Among Americans who say their views have shifted over the last five years, more than twice as many say their current opinion about the legality of same-sex marriage has become more supportive than more opposed (19% and 9% respectively).

•Consistent with this sea change in opinion over the last five years, a majority (51%) of Americans currently say it is more socially acceptable to support same-sex marriage rather than to oppose it. Nearly two-thirds (64%) of Millennials say it is more socially acceptable to favor same-sex marriage, while a majority (56%) of seniors say it is more socially acceptable to oppose same-sex marriage.

Canada. Mexico. Western Europe. Argentina.... the United States will soon find itself among the third world on this issue.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,132,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
I'll ask the same question that I asked a previous poster. Would you start eating at Chick-Fil-A if it stopped funding the groups you dislike?
If the owner stopped donating to these organizations, I probably would. Had it been the owner's own personal money going to these organizations, I'd roll my eyes and still partake in the occasional (once every few months) meal. But seeing as how company profits, money directly from the consumers, is the money being used? I don't want my money being involved in that.

So yes, if CFA stopped using profit money to donate to organizations that lie and slander to have their flavour of religion be the basis for law, I would enjoy the occasional meal or drink.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:35 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,777,259 times
Gays have their fair share of human rights...They don't need anymore- They have more privileged and more protection in society than the average person....BUT that is not good enough it seems...They not only want equality..They want dominance...I would safely say that a balance has been struck and gays should appreciate what they have. It is time to back off and live their lives.

If the extremists keep pushing for more power...blow back will occur..and resentment will set in- Gays did not like being dominated and abused...Straights are starting to feel the same...They do not want to be oppressed either...seems that power does corrupt. I don't want to hear the usual retorts regarding this subject. People should be satisfied with what they have- and NOT attempt to dominate...I know a few extreme gay activists...They will not be happy till they are the select ruling class of ultimate privilege and dominance....There is a time to be quiet and I believe that time has come.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,020,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
I don't think that your statement is what the public perceives as the current case. Dictating what a company owner does with his money is not a form of censorship?
I'm not dictating what he does with his money, I'm just stating that as long as his money is spent on hate groups, I won't spend my money there.

Quote:
So you would start eating at Chick-Fil-A if the company stopped giving money to the groups you dislike?
I would probably get the occasional milkshake or lemonade, but eat there? Gods, no. THat place is disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies