Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 01:25 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,621,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
the millenials ARE superior to the generations before them,
Sounds reminiscent of the flower children of the 60’s with the “don’t trust anybody over 30” and how they were going to change The Establishment. Now they are The Establishment and they didn’t change the world either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,013,892 times
Quote:
So you've only ever known one gay, years ago, and you're also simulataneously bothered about how IN YOUR FACE people are on the issue at a PERSONAL level? How does that even work?
Perhaps they object to flamboyant acting gays? Gay men in drag?

Personally, I find flamboyant gay mannerisms to be annoying also, just like I don't care for southern belle acting women or ghetto tough acting people. It's one thing to goof around for a short while as a "flamer" but please just tone it down otherwise.

I know many gays and lesbians, and I prefer the company of those who act just like normal (straight) people. I don't need to know which way they "swing". It's not a matter of being prejudiced, but don't we all make close friends based on personality traits and common interests?

Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,783,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
No duh.

When society doesn't recognize you as fully equal to your fellow neighbors, you tend to doubt yourself and will have a harder time accepting "this is who I am no matter how crappy I'm being treated". For some, like me, it's easier than for others. I really don't care what people think of the pansexual chick who makes anime/gaming/comic costumes and attends conventions while dressed up in said costumes because I have an excellent support system. Those without a support system are less likely to have the confidence needed to be okay with being themselves.

So yeah. You're right.

Many gays have issues with self-acceptance because of people like you (especially when in large groups) who are perfectly okay with institutionalized discrimination against them and those who even fight for further discrimination.
No. Society does not accept and it is threatened by most deviations from a norm understood as the middle of the bell curve or gaussian plot of typical behavior. You can be branded as weird or if you are succesful as eccentric for many many traits that'd have nothing to do with sexuality.
It is up to you though to learn to accept yourself. You can't force other people to change their perceptions about you. All you can do is to force them to pretend.
This whole idea of gay marriage is absurd, there is a thousands years old traditions of marriage with historical purpose absolutely incompatible with being homosexual: procreation. Learn to accept yourself and do not force the society to do it for you.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Personally, I find flamboyant gay mannerisms to be annoying also, just like I don't care for southern belle acting women or ghetto tough acting people. It's one thing to goof around for a short while as a "flamer" but please just tone it down otherwise.

I know many gays and lesbians, and I prefer the company of those who act just like normal (straight) people. I don't need to know which way they "swing". It's not a matter of being prejudiced, but don't we all make close friends based on personality traits and common interests?
Absolutely. I don't need straight friends to tell me details about their lives as swingers. I don't care. There are some things that should be left private.
Many gays because of their inherent low self esteem and lack of self-acceptation often tried to compensate by being "flamboyantly gay" which for most straight people is very uncomfortable.

For instance, I am a nudist and used to go to a nudist beach in Long Island, that just happen to be in Fire Island's "gay area". There were always a lot of naturists with families and gays but everybody worked to keep the area clean of any sexual overtones, real naturists don't like the sexual connotation that naturism has earned and don't want to give the state an excuse to close the naturist beaches.
Unfortunately we often had to tell gay couples to take a hike because they were engaging in an activity that would get us all in trouble and because we had kids with us who were watching it.

As far as I know gay culture is oversexed, from indiscriminate sex with random partners via glory holes in gay clubs, to gay bath house culture of sex with random partners gays are used to be much more "sexual" in the way they act and much more used to display thei sexuality to other people. The AIDS epidemic amongst gays was not a concidence.

The majority of population however, bear in mind gays are just a tiny sliver of it, believes that nobody should be forced to watch. Nobody has to accept this kind of behavior as normal, even when this behavior is displayed by other straight people, we consider it immature and incosiderate.

Last edited by rebel12; 09-05-2012 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 PM

354 posts, read 852,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Absolutely. I don't need straight friends to tell me details about their lives as swingers. I don't care. There are some things that should be left private.
Many gays because of their inherent low self esteem and lack of self-acceptation often tried to compensate by being "flamboyantly gay" which for most straight people is very uncomfortable.

For instance, I am a nudist and used to go to a nudist beach in Long Island, that just happen to be in Fire Island's "gay area". There were always a lot of naturists with families and gays but everybody worked to keep the area clean of any sexual overtones, real naturists don't like the sexual connotation that naturism has earned and don't want to give the state an excuse to close the naturist beaches.
Unfortunately we often had to tell gay couples to take a hike because they were engaging in an activity that would get us all in trouble and because we had kids with us who were watching it.

As far as I know gay culture is oversexed, from indiscriminate sex with random partners via glory holes in gay clubs, to gay bath house culture of sex with random partners gays are used to be much more "sexual" in the way they act and much more used to display thei sexuality to other people. The AIDS epidemic amongst gays was not a concidence.

The majority of population however, bear in mind gays are just a tiny sliver of it, believes that nobody should be forced to watch. Nobody has to accept this kind of behavior as normal, even when this behavior is displayed by other straight people, we consider it immature and incosiderate.
Nearly all the glory holes, cruising etc are not openly gay men they are the ones in the closet. These things were much more common in the past because more gays were in the closet and did not feel like a gay lifestyle was an option for them. Their only option was to Marry some poor woman and have sex with other random dudes in the same situation.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:42 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,013,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
You ARE trying to dictate what a company does with their profits
No.

I'm not.

Quote:
As for ChickFil-A being "disgusting",...that is only in your mind, and in your opinion.
Never said otherwise.

Food being disgusting is all about personal taste.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,287,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie
Sounds reminiscent of the flower children of the 60’s with the “don’t trust anybody over 30” and how they were going to change The Establishment. Now they are The Establishment and they didn’t change the world either.
Actually, they did change the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu

I don't see why it matters to anyone? Be it ghetto mannerism, "flamboyant" mannerisms, tough guy macho mannerisms, redneck mannerisms, hipster mannerisms, bro-ey mannerisms, ditzy girl mannerisms..... just "do you" and let other people "do them."

People are free to act how they want to act, so long as it does not harm anyone else (note: "annoying you" does not qualify as "harming" you). It's why we tolerate bikers, surfers and tech workers all the same.

We do not discriminate against an entire sub group and say, "We do not accept you because the prevailing stereotype of your group annoys me. You do not deserve equal rights because I don't like looking at you".

"I hate the way gays act" "I hate Asians and their nerdy ways" "I hate ghetto blacks."

It's rather immature, really. After high school this shouldn't be the way grown folk view other people. Laugh at them if you want, avoid them if it REALLY bothers you otherwise, or, live and let live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12

Wait. First off, you're a NUDIST and you have the balls (no pun intended) to talk about acceptance of "alternative lifestyles?" There are people today who believe nudists are nothing but rapist perverts engaged in deviant lifestyle of filth and promiscuous sex. A large contingent of the nudist population is engaged in swinging, and if you see them at a popular beach (such as Haulover in Miami), you will often find couples sexually touching in the water.

Imagine a law was passed that said two nudists cannot marry one another.

Second, you're obviously old. Glory holes are so 1970, and this is now... oh... the fifth or sixth time you have mentioned glory holes and gays as if they are synonymous, and every gay household has a backyard glory hole or something.

Really, you're obsession is very telling.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Wait. First off, you're a NUDIST and you have the balls (no pun intended) to talk about acceptance of "alternative lifestyles?" There are people today who believe nudists are nothing but rapist perverts engaged in deviant lifestyle of filth and promiscuous sex. A large contingent of the nudist population is engaged in swinging, and if you see them at a popular beach (such as Haulover in Miami), you will often find couples sexually touching in the water.
First of all Haulover is not a naturist beach, it's a pervert bonanza.
You want to see a naturist beach come to Europe or Sandy Hook or Long Island. Naturists often come with entire families including kids so no sexual overtones of any kind, gay or straight are welcomed. The kind of open sexual behavior I saw at Haulover would not be tolerated in New York or New Jersey.

Second. I am a naturist but I would never try to force the society to let me walk around naked just because it expresses my personality/religion/sexuality whatever absurds reasoning you would use.
There are nudist beaches for this and you always watch not to go beyond without cloths. There are naturist retreats where naturist do not force the general population to observe them.

Quote:
Second, you're obviously old. Glory holes are so 1970, and this is now... oh... the fifth or sixth time you have mentioned glory holes and gays as if they are synonymous, and every gay household has a backyard glory hole or something.
Sure. There are no gay "bath houses" in Miami. LOL

Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
First of all Haulover is not a naturist beach, it's a pervert bonanza.
You want to see a naturist beach come to Europe or Sandy Hook or Long Island. Naturists often come with entire families including kids so no sexual overtones of any kind, gay or straight are welcomed. The kind of open sexual behavior I saw at Haulover would not be tolerated in New York or New Jersey.
I've BEEN to nudist beaches in Europe and I've seen the same damn behavior going on.

Quote:
Second. I am a naturist but I would never try to force the society to let me walk around naked just because it expresses my personality/religion/sexuality whatever absurds reasoning you would use.
There are nudist beaches for this and you always watch not to go beyond without cloths. There are naturist retreats where naturist do not force the general population to observe them.

Your nudity and your decision to live your abnormal, perverted and destructive naturist/nudist lifestyle is a CHOICE.

Sexuality is NOT a choice. Just like sex, race or ethnicity. You do not and should not be able to restrict the rights of people on innate characteristics.

We have freedom of religion in this country. People are free to worship 100 gods, or none. That we as a society have agreed to allow freedom of religion does not mean that we are forced to ACCEPT other people's religions as valid, equal or something worth experiencing. However, we do agree that we shouldn't be able to discriminate or disallow people of a certain sect from their basic freedoms as citizens because who they choose to worship.

And again, religion is a CHOICE. Why do we extend this protection to a CHOICE people make, but restrict those who HAVE NO CHOICE in their sexuality?

Old 09-05-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Sure. There are no gay "bath houses" in Miami. LOL
There is one.

There are also straight swinger clubs and parties, hookers and strip clubs galore.

What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies