Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:35 AM

354 posts, read 855,211 times

Advertisements

Sorry for posting this so long after the controversy. I moved and have been travelling a lot for work and haven't had the time.

I just want to say that Chick Fil A appreciation day really opened my eyes to the plight of Gays in this country. I drove by my neighberhood Chick Fil A and it was just packed full of people. And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people. But what struck me the most was how proud some of them looked to be standing there. Granted I'm sure that some people were there to support religous freedom but most of them were there because they don't like Gay people.

I thought to myself what a bunch of hypocrites. They say they want the Government out of their business yet they want the Government to legislate THEIR morality. I like millions of other people will never eat at CHick Fil A again. Also I now 100% support gay rights and will help advance them in anyway I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 11:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Sounds like your views on gay rights had already been established. I had better lose a few pounds, do not want to be mistaken for a bigot.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Sounds like your views on gay rights had already been established. I had better lose a few pounds, do not want to be mistaken for a bigot.
You are correct they were but before this whole thing I would never have pushed for Gay Rights.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmhughes View Post
You are correct they were but before this whole thing I would never have pushed for Gay Rights.
Yes, of course. Seeing a bunch of old, chubby, white people just through you over the edge.

What about this post of yours from January of this year?

Quote:
I'm sure that MLK would have supported the gay rights movement and if he was alive today he would be one of the most vocal supporters of gay marriage. Not all Christians are against gays (Just the loudest ones).

Christianity tends to bring social change slowly and by working inside the system not against it. For example the abolition movement and the Armenian Genocide relief movement to name a few. The most pressing social issue in America at the time was the unfair treatment of blacks. It was right for Him and others to focus on that before they moved on to other groups (Gays, Poor, Disabled, etc.). If you couldn't even get society to allow blacks to use the same restroom how could anyone realistic hope that they could get society to change enough to except gays.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:43 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Thats your decison of course. I frankly feel the same way about the Republican party on lots of issues. "Keep your hands off my religion, but let me legislate that for you to follow". As if my opinion on their religion doesn't matter?

At anyrate, the people who expressed their first amendment right shouldn't be judged for who they are anymore then you should be judged based on your belief in Gay marriage. Their opinion is equally valid from a voting point of view.

The people of Chick-Fil-A should be good to express and feel whatever way they should about gay marriage. I disagree with the company because they use my money to push an agenda they back. I can't fault them for their agenda, but I can remove my money from their support.

I can't support any business thats pro big government, especially on social issues.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Sorry for posting this so long after the controversy. I moved and have been travelling a lot for work and haven't had the time.

I just want to say that Chick Fil A appreciation day really opened my eyes to the plight of Gays in this country. I drove by my neighberhood Chick Fil A and it was just packed full of people. And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people. But what struck me the most was how proud some of them looked to be standing there. Granted I'm sure that some people were there to support religous freedom but most of them were there because they don't like Gay people.

I thought to myself what a bunch of hypocrites. They say they want the Government out of their business yet they want the Government to legislate THEIR morality. I like millions of other people will never eat at CHick Fil A again. Also I now 100% support gay rights and will help advance them in anyway I can.

I don't know where you live ...hey.....check this out!!

Since you ARE LATE to this show!

Articles: My Black Dad and Chick-fil-A

Go back to sleep.....

Old 08-31-2012, 11:47 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:

it sounds to me like YOU are the one that is closed minded and judgmental. what you dont understand is that chick-fil-a appreciation day was NOT about gay rights, it was about FREEDOM OF SPEECH. there were many gay people who attended the day because they too understood that the CEO ahs the right to say the thing he said. if government an take away the right of someone to say they are against gay marriage, the the right to free speech is gone for EVERYBODY. once you understand that, then you will truly understand what chick-fil-a appreciation day was really about.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, of course. Seeing a bunch of old, chubby, white people just through you over the edge.

What about this post of yours from January of this year?
I don't understand your point. I admitted that I supported Gay Rights before Chick Fil A in the Post that you quoted. I'm saying I never would have done anything to advance the cause before this.

What explanation do you need for my previous post? Please explain.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it sounds to me like YOU are the one that is closed minded and judgmental. what you dont understand is that chick-fil-a appreciation day was NOT about gay rights, it was about FREEDOM OF SPEECH. there were many gay people who attended the day because they too understood that the CEO ahs the right to say the thing he said. if government an take away the right of someone to say they are against gay marriage, the the right to free speech is gone for EVERYBODY. once you understand that, then you will truly understand what chick-fil-a appreciation day was really about.
I understand that for SOME people this was the case. And if that truelly was you then good for you. But do you honestly believe that most or even the majority of people there were there for that. They were there because they don't like Gays.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,425 times
Quote:
And as I was looking at them I realized they all had a lot of similarities. All were white, none of them dressed well and all of them looked a little pudgy or were elderly. What you would typically associate with close minded bigoted people.
Don't you realize that in itself makes you come off as a bigoted, close-minded person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies