Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:29 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I don't want a president to dictate to me what kind of car I can drive. I don't want a tiny car that is made out of plastic so it can get better mileage. I am a big man and I am more concerned about safety. If you treehuggers want these cars than there will be a demand to build them. We don't need a dictator to force us to buy them. As far as gas prices, we should be developing all of our fossil fuels to lower prices. I especially would like to see natural gas in vehicles.
If you don't want one, don't buy one. Nobody will stick a gun to your head and make you.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
The government can't guarantee your food is safe. The toilet paper works fine and so do the light bulbs. The new cars that will be made lighter and smaller WILL be less safe. There are safety nets so that the poor get healthcare already. Ever hear of Medicaid? You move to China or maybe Cuba.
The government most certainly can guarantee that the food supply is safe. When was the last time you had food poisoning? The toilet paper and light bulbs work fine because government mandates their manufacturers adhere to certain standards. The new cars will pollute less and reduce our dependence on the Saudis. Medicaid exists BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT MANDATES IT.

You're just another tea partier whining that government sucks while driving on government roads, eating government supervised foods and living in a house that is a safe because of government mandates. Your ignorance is exceeded only by your arrogance in refusing to admit this.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:51 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Unlike these radical liberals around here, I also would like more poisons in my food and in the environment for my children to play in.

Bad for people, good for JOBS.
It doesn't have to be this way. Cities all over the country are finding that adopting new arcihtectural designs that are less energy dependent is paying off in both savings and in the creation of new jobs. The same goes for much new technology that is developing rapidly right now.

Exactly the same new developments of the time happened 100 years ago, and they too met the same conservative opposition you have, but we all got used to electric lights, telephones, hot water and indoor plumbing fast enough. All were unthinkably radical just a few years before each became another common 20th century development.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:16 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
I don't want a president to dictate to me what kind of car I can drive. I don't want a tiny car that is made out of plastic so it can get better mileage. I am a big man and I am more concerned about safety. If you treehuggers want these cars than there will be a demand to build them. We don't need a dictator to force us to buy them. As far as gas prices, we should be developing all of our fossil fuels to lower prices. I especially would like to see natural gas in vehicles.
Fine and dandy. No one is demanding any change from you at all. No one is forcing you to do anything in any way either.
We have pumped out all the easy oil long ago, but there is still lots of oil, and it's going to get pumped out, too. But don't expect it will ever be as cheap as the good old days again; there are millions and millions of Indians and Chinese who want to own a car just as much as you, and their cars will burn the same gas yours burns.

Do you honestly think you are the ONLY person who is concerned about a car's safety? Don't be ridiculous. New cars, no matter what size they are or what they are made of will be safer than anything made in the past. No one wants they or their kids to die in a car. That includes big men and treehuggers alike, buddy.

'Large' and 'tiny' are relative. All of our ancestors once drove small vehicles before the cars grew big. There will always be a demand for both large and small. Driving a big car is no big deal, as long as you are willing to pony up for the gas prices, but be assured those prices will only grow larger as the years go by. How much you are willing to feed the gas pump is your affair. No one else gives a damn about your decision.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
If the president has the right to direct every cabinet dept. to do anything he wants I guess we don't need congress. We don't need a budget from them either! Nothing contrary here? And nothing wrong with the cabinet heads making policy either, like forcing the Catholic Church to provide contraceptives.
You do know that there were only four cabinet depts when the constitution was written. The additional cabinet depts. is one of the biggest reasons we have so much debt that will destroy us.
We need Congress. One that works anyways. They can't even decide what to cut, when the cuts they will be forced to make are bigger than the ones they could judt choose to make.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:34 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You must of been pissed at that dictator Bush when he created the Patriot Act.

I know I sure was , and Obama for extending it.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:03 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If you don't want one, don't buy one. Nobody will stick a gun to your head and make you.
You don't understand simple things. There will be no large safe vehicles being made because they won't be able to comply with the new dictate. So I will be forced into buying a small unsafe vehicle.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
The government most certainly can guarantee that the food supply is safe. When was the last time you had food poisoning? The toilet paper and light bulbs work fine because government mandates their manufacturers adhere to certain standards. The new cars will pollute less and reduce our dependence on the Saudis. Medicaid exists BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT MANDATES IT.

You're just another tea partier whining that government sucks while driving on government roads, eating government supervised foods and living in a house that is a safe because of government mandates. Your ignorance is exceeded only by your arrogance in refusing to admit this.
You are just another sheep who is being led away from freedom and our constitution. I do not drive on government roads. Those are the people's roads. WE paid for them. WE built them. WE pay to maintain them. Medicaid was passed through Congress, not through executive order. Do you see any difference? Are you kidding about the food? You are delusional. There are constant cases of people getting sick from food. Only after some people die does the government get involved. If the purpose of the new car standards is energy independence why not let oil and gas companies drill for all the oil and gas under our lands? You are just another treehugger who does not understand there must be a balance between the environment and people being unemployed. No Tea partier has ever called for NO government. We just want SMALLER government with less cost and less intrusion into our lives. Americans are not so pathetic that we need the government to tell us what to wipe ourselves with.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Fine and dandy. No one is demanding any change from you at all. No one is forcing you to do anything in any way either.
We have pumped out all the easy oil long ago, but there is still lots of oil, and it's going to get pumped out, too. But don't expect it will ever be as cheap as the good old days again; there are millions and millions of Indians and Chinese who want to own a car just as much as you, and their cars will burn the same gas yours burns.

Do you honestly think you are the ONLY person who is concerned about a car's safety? Don't be ridiculous. New cars, no matter what size they are or what they are made of will be safer than anything made in the past. No one wants they or their kids to die in a car. That includes big men and treehuggers alike, buddy.

'Large' and 'tiny' are relative. All of our ancestors once drove small vehicles before the cars grew big. There will always be a demand for both large and small. Driving a big car is no big deal, as long as you are willing to pony up for the gas prices, but be assured those prices will only grow larger as the years go by. How much you are willing to feed the gas pump is your affair. No one else gives a damn about your decision.
If you are in a high speed crash with a tractor trailer would you be safer in a Chevy Volt or an Expedition? Buddy.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:57 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,833 times
So there are efforts to reduce emissions, increase efficiency, ultimately reduce cost of ownership, and create IP and new jobs developing innovation in this area?

Yeah, sounds oppressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies