Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 04:45 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times

Advertisements

Rewarding companies that keep jobs here isnt the responsability of the gvmt. That one belongs to the American consumer. Have we realy become so lazy of a people that we want the gvmt to do something that we will not do ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 04:57 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Default Nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I keep reading about Romney being a job creator... well her certain created a lot of money for his investors but whenever I try to find out what kind of jobs Bain actually created the main claim to fame that keeps popping up is Sports Authority, Staples and Burger King. Now I'll be the first to say, that all three of those companies provide great job opportunities for kids looking for a job, but they the kind of jobs that can sustain a thriving middle class?

As for Romney's job creatorness outside of Bain... the Massachusetts record isn't as impressive as all those store clerk and burger flipper jobs that he created when he was in the job creating business.

So do we really need more retail clerks and burger flippers?
Apparently the "rags to riches" stories told by the many entrepreneurs at the Republican Convention were lost on you.

Business start-ups require capital investment. That's what a capital investment firm like Bain Capital does. They help businesses get the funding they need while in their infancy, and they don't just fund "hamburger flipper" companies (Why would you think that?).

However, if there is a retail business started by an enterprising individual, why would you disparage that? Those retail clerk jobs are the way a lot of people learn the retail business, and they provide jobs for people just starting out in life.

My wife began her working life as a FotoMate (you probably are not old enough to remember FotoMat Corp.) Then she moved into the Corporate personnel office. After that, she spent many years working in retailing, first as a clerk, then a department manager, and finally as the General Manager of one of the stores in the Chain (Buffum's, an upscale retail store on the order of a Dillards). She managed the Fashion Valley Store, The Grossmont Store, and finally the Lomas Santa Fe Store before the company closed in 1992.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
People who are unemployed might say yes. People who are trying to hold on to a professional white or blue collar job might say no.
But, he supposes the only kind of jobs created are "hambuger flipper" and retail jobs. That isn't true, as many entrepreneurs are developing technology and new products.

All of the companies I worked for started out as "garage shop" highily techinical companies:
  • Hydro Products - Manufacturer of oceanographic instruments and under water TV and remote controlled vehicles for the offshore oil and commercial diving industry.
  • Sub-Sea Systems - Same as above, but we did not have a vehicle division, and we built TV systems only.
  • Scientific Atlanta's Dymac Division - Begun as Dymac by a couple of engineers in a garage. Built dynamic balancing equipment for aircraft engines, and later vibration analysis instrumentation.
  • HME - Wireless microphones. Built the first wireless drive through window system for McDonalds, which eliminated the noise that was so often characteristic of those early drive up ordering systems, and delivered clear noise free audio, using COMPANDER technology, and FM transmission.
  • Trans World Communications - Military radios.
All these companies started up as small garage shops by one or two entrepreneurs, and a handful of employees.

These are the types of businesses that get funding from companies like Bain.

And YES OBAMA, THEY DID BUILD THAT! Those entrepreneurs took the risk, sacrificed their time, putting in long hours, adding their sweat, and THEY made that happen!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:38 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post

The goal is to redistribute the wealth. Take money from the suburbanites who work for a living to have a better standard of life and give it to the urban poor to improve their quality of life. Lift up the urban poor, pull down those living in the suburbs, to the point that you squeeze those living in the suburbs into moving into the inner cities putting everyone on equal footing.

Pretty much like a homeless personal asking Obama if he has some spare change and Obama says "sure", then reaches into the pocket of another guy.
You raise a very important point, but let's put some more spin on it.

"Structural unemployment" has fallen particularly hard on the displaced usually-male breadwiner. At one time, his job was more likely to involve the command of a larger amount of capital per employee, thereby justifying a higher salary, The greater risk of serious injury also placed greater emphasis on safety, further increasing the push for higher wages.

That displaced worker, more often than not in his mature years, also has to wrestle with the expectations of greater sensitivity by an increasingly-diverse market; traditionally, this is a demand with which women are increasingly better-equipped to deal.

The trend itself is unstoppable, and is further fueled by the growth of a personal-service-based economy where output cannot be mass-produced, stored, or withheld. We all have to live with it. I make ends meet by working in situations where my time is still micro-manged, but at least that micro-management is determined by a hand-held computer rather than some spoiled brat.

Because a lot of us can only take so much kumbayah.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:39 AM

Default Prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Mitt Romney's entire "job creation" background is a myth.

Romney was a job creator.....

...... in China
Have anything to back this up? We can recognize baseless charges. It can also be called "propaganda."

Old 09-01-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
No. This country needs a President who will support Energy jobs that pay more decent money. Barack Obama killed those jobs.
Yes, and Romney/Ryan will get America drilling and developing our resources again. We will see the XL Pipeline built, if it's not too late.

Contrary to what Obama says, oil is as much the energy of the future as it has been the energy of the past. Oil is the fuel that powers the engine of liberty.

And, natural gas will be BIG. Right here in my state, we are sitting on top of one of the largest deposits of Marcellus and Utica shale. We have leased our 11 acres

Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 AM

Default Those aren't the only jobs to be created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A thriving middle class depends on a young workforce that gets experience doing unskilled labor.

I worked as a package handler(loading trucks), an unloader(unloading trucks), a cart pusher - offically I was a "courtesy clerk", a shelf stocker, an order puller, Iv'e made money by mowing lawns and taking trash barrels to the street for elderly ladies, as an inventory clerk, all the way through being a test technician(electronic devices), a computer technican twice, and still being a trained and qualified electronics technican - with a college degree in my field of expertise.

Along the way I have been a bartender, a dishwasher, volunteered to plant flowers and other plants for a church, been a Sunday School teaher and a Vacation Bible School instructor,, helped the homeless as a server and a overnight coordinator at a shelter, and been the administrator of a private charitable organization whose focus is on helping children and seniors.

Their is nothing wrong with entry level jobs or education that teaches the next generation the technology and skills that will enable them to lead the future.

Those are the types of jobs that the Republican Party wants people to attain and that the Democratic Party will not promote.
We will also see new business start-ups, and expansion of existing businesses in technology. Small manufacturers become large ones if there products are successful. I have worked for some of those companies that became bigger with world wide sales.

I too, have spent many years as a tecnician. Isn't it fun? Electronics is so fascinating!!! Good for you!

I now build Websites and have taught myself PHP and installed Apache, PHP 5.3 and MySQL on my PC.

I'm retired from my former business as a self employed ceramic tile guy (that died in Nov 2008 — People put off their home improvement projects with the election of Barack Obama).

Old 09-01-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
If that is meant to imply a Romney victory, I expect you will be very disappointed after November 4th.

Get ready to be unhappy for 4 more years.

Your unhappiness translates into my joy.
Hahahahahahahahah! I think it is you who is going to be disappointed.

Internal polling (Carville - Greenberg) has Romney up 15 points over Obama among independents, and that was on Thursday, before the Convention was over.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 AM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Rewarding companies that keep jobs here isnt the responsability of the gvmt. That one belongs to the American consumer. Have we realy become so lazy of a people that we want the gvmt to do something that we will not do ourselves?
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Americans can & will still buy an American company's product made overseas. Companies which sell American-made products and profit well will still close factories and send the jobs elsewhere if they can make an even bigger profit by doing so. Tax breaks to those companies are incentive for them to stay. It's essentially blackmail, but what's the alternative?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Obama aspires to be the hamburger flipping job President. As my brother said, if you want a job, vote for Romney and you might get one. If you want a welfare check, vote for Obama and you might get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies