Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:01 AM

27,995 posts, read 29,823,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Mormon doctrine of eternal progression teaches that God the Father was once a man, who progressed to Godhood through obedience to certain laws and ordinances. Part of this obedience involved getting married to a woman ("The Heavenly Mother"), who gives birth to God’s spirit children, who are sent to earth to inhabit bodies of flesh and bone. These spirit children, if they are Mormons, remain obedient to the laws of the Mormon Church, and are married in the Mormon temple, have the potential to become gods themselves. They will produce spirit children and rule their own planet. This process is then repeated.
Well, I'll be damned! That sounds a whole lot like early Christianity to me...

In the second century, Saint Irenaeus said, “If the Word became a man, it was so men may become gods.” He also posed this question: “Do we cast blame on Him (God) because we were not made gods from the beginning, but were at first created merely as men, and then later as Gods?” At about the same period of time, Saint Clement made this statement: “The Word of God became a man so that you might learn from a man how to become a god.” And Saint Justin Martyr agreed, saying that men are “deemed worthy of becoming gods and of having power to become sons of the highest.” Some two centuries later, Athanasius explained that “the Word was made flesh in order that we might be enabled to be made gods. He became man that we might be made divine.” And, finally, Augustine, said, “But He that justifies also deifies, for by justifying he makes sons of God. For he has given them power to become the sons of God. If then we have been made sons of God, we have also been made gods.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:04 AM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It is easy to know God's will. Read the bible and find out.
I can quote chapter and verse. I'm a Christian.
It is not easy to know God's will at all, and I distrust anyone who says it is easy. The path to understanding is narrow, steep and dark.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:09 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Ever hear of angels.. different kinds of angels.. who knows what the mysteries of God are. We walk by faith and we believe in the God of Abraham through Jesus Christ. We see through a glass darkly now , but we will come into the glory of the Lord in the here after.
According to the Mormon faith, your god in the next world could be Romney. How do you like that?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:32 AM

27,995 posts, read 29,823,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
According to the Mormon faith, your god in the next world could be Romney. How do you like that?
That is absolutely false. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is the only God any of us (Mormon, non-Mormon, Christian, non-Christian, theist, non-theist) will ever worship in the next life. Your take on LDS theology is creative and entertaining to consider but completely inaccurate. And the sad thing is, you don't even care.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,396,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You fundies are hysterical. I don't know what we'd all do without you.
So you're unaware of Romney's business experience as a corporate raider?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:53 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,396,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo700 View Post
Lots of strange religions, the largest one being the strangest. Its the man you are, not the religion you belong to.
Indeed. And Romney has proven the man he is by his business practices of borrowing money to buy "sick" businesses, taking over the businesses, draining them of all their money, making himself very very wealthy, then leaving the businesses......often to go into bankruptcy and ultimately causing many hard working people to lose their jobs. Corporate raider. That simply cannot be ignored with looking at the "entire" man.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:11 PM

313 posts, read 323,667 times
I would say Bain Capitol is a success, I would say Staples is a success, i would say Sports Authority has been a success, i would say that Bright Horizons that First Lady Michelle Obama rightly praised has been a success, I would say Steel Dynamic's has been a success, I would say the Winter Olympic were a success. Can you even imagine the amount of people these companies have put to work. Romney is the kind of man to get behind and follow and make him the next President of these United States.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,467,969 times
People have gotten over the religious argument since Kennedy, a Catholic, was elected president. No one has to join their church, they are just president in a country were we have freedom of choosing what religion we want to belong to.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:29 PM

731 posts, read 1,576,567 times
These are just my personal opinions, it won't do any good to attack them, I probably will not respond, because I don't care if you don't like them.

Keller is a lunatic. He is a member of a non-denominational church, a church that follows no specific doctrine, runs his church as a business not a church of worship and fellowship, reminds me of tv evangelists who pray for money and ask for money--pray for financial security, all that kind of thing, I just do not feel that those are the thing you should pray for--its blasphemous

This Keller says we are Judas if we vote for either, but this person must have never entertained that Judas was picked by God so his son Jesus could complete the act of ultimate sacrifice, Jesus knew who would betray him, it was part of God's plan

Mormonsim-I know a little bit about and I don't agree with alot of their beliefs, but I haven't heard anything about the Mormon Church denouncing America or calling USA--KKK...so far, I don't believe Romney will try to force Mormon beliefs through law if he gets president. like baptism for the dead.....I'm not threatened by Mormonism and Romney could be a god in our next life.....puhleeeez

Romney may be the person to minimize this national debt we are suffering in because she has business horse-sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies