Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 09:21 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
By letting this "homeless" person pick through your garbage you are saying it's ok to be a lazy non-contributor to society. If there was a 90% chance of starvation and death from homelessness in America there'd be a lot less bums. Good job for enabling this idiot. The problem is that society is too weak and pc (cloaked in so called altruism and compassion) to see the truth about the majority of the poor and homeless and let them get what is coming to them. The MAJORITY of these people are in their circumstance because of the choices they've made not "unfortunate" circumstance.
I would like to believe this is satirical, but I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:24 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Let's just see if anyone else gets it.

(I got an ad up in the corner to donate to Romney. It was uproarious. If you get an ad for, say, Mazdas, it won't be nearly as funny. Pity. Best laugh of the day.)
Must have been a popup. I did not get any ad on that page at all.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:27 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Most homeless are there by choice and poor decisions.
And you know this how?

Even if true - and perhaps it is - their are many kinds of poor decisions, and most don't lead to homelessness. Indeed, people make morally bad decisions all the time, and, often enough, those decisions make them rich.

In other words the homeless don't have a monopoly on sin, and if your poor decisions haven't hurt you economically, that's mercy and not justice.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
By letting this "homeless" person pick through your garbage you are saying it's ok to be a lazy non-contributor to society. If there was a 90% chance of starvation and death from homelessness in America there'd be a lot less bums. Good job for enabling this idiot. The problem is that society is too weak and pc (cloaked in so called altruism and compassion) to see the truth about the majority of the poor and homeless and let them get what is coming to them. The MAJORITY of these people are in their circumstance because of the choices they've made not "unfortunate" circumstance.
Fact: It's HIS garbage, and it's solely HIS right to allow or not allow this to occur.

If you wish to watch folks starve, have at it. That is your right, BUT if you want your right to watch respected, respect HIS right to allow someone to use stuff he had tossed to avoid starving.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Let's just see if anyone else gets it.

(I got an ad up in the corner to donate to Romney. It was uproarious. If you get an ad for, say, Mazdas, it won't be nearly as funny. Pity. Best laugh of the day.)
Let me take a stab at this. You're trying to tell us that Romney doesn't believe in helping the poor. Or something. And you're snickering to yourself because the topic of homelessness is, for you, an opportunity to score cheap political points in an election year. Am I close?

Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
"We owe each other nothing". Talk about short-sighted.
No, it is short sighted to think we do owe each other something, for if one buys into that, it diminishes the act of charity. Now when we donate money, time, energy, we end up enriching ourselves far more, so never demean that as something owed.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:26 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,850 times
Default Well then let's just stop jerking around and do something

How about if we stop buying the crappy cloths from the low wage countries, that are sold in stores like JCP Walmart, Macy's, Sears and wherever....And insist on something made in the U.S.A
Actually I ask this question every time (Is anything here made in the USA?)...So, I go to smaller independent stores and buy USA made shoes for about $140 - But, I only own 2 pairs at a time...and they last.

I look for USA made clothing - again high prices...But the buttons don't fall off, the sleaves fit right, and they last a long time. Unlike the shoddy crap I get for Christmas gifts every year, that I still have in my closets with the tags on for 2 or 3 years...People finally understood and don't buy them for me anymore (I tell them).

Furniture today is absolute garbage...I look for American made...Much which is poorly made or you have to love oak or pine, but if you shop around, you find something decent at a fair price.

So, if everyone does this, the stores and manufacturers will get the hint...We'll have jobs here again.

The minimum wage is a joke...Anyone that feels they can't run a business without paying people the lowest wages are not going to be in business too long anyway...Other services, materials, etc. will go against their mind-set.

And if you are using a service, or buying from someone here paying the minimum wage...tell them they are lousy business people, ask them how the f*** they can afford the $50K pick-up truck?... and stop patronizing them...It make no sense if they are charging anywhere near market prices - does it?...(the money is going into their greedy pockets).

The politicians that support the low minimum wages are the scum of the earth...Stop voting for them...even if they smile and shake your hand once very year (they really don't give a freak about you, so stop wetting your pants about it), and if you are voting for them because they are your kind (religious, ethnic, proper party affiliation, a single issue that you are focused on or whatever)...you should not have the right to vote...You're a moron. I rather see the illegals and dead vote than your type.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
The poster you are replying to was referring to Reagan's time as governor, not as president.
Yeah, I knew the poster was talking about Reagan as governor. I just didn't realize Reagan was governor in 1967. Just looked it up. I didn't think he was governor until the 1970s. Deinstitutionalization did start before Reagan was governor (under Kennedy in the early 1960s and then officially in 1965) but not "way" before Reagan was governor.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:56 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well that's nice. I was living on my own while working full-time as a 17-year-old in the early 90s as well. That doesn't mean everyone has the same opportunities or life situation we did back then.
My parents moved away and I was on my own. I had a high school diploma and the help wanted section. That was my life situation and those were the opportunities I had. Do you remember what the economy was like back then?

Old 09-02-2012, 05:02 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think the minimum wage in the US is a big part of the problem...It is too low...The highest is $9.04 in Washington, and the lowest is Wyoming at $5.15 or only $2.13 for those that get tips...Try living on that... List of U.S. minimum wages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The lowest in Canada is $9.75, and the highest is $10.30, and we still have homeless people.
This is the most asinine argument ever. Are we supposed to pay people 20.00 per hour to pump gas? How do you suppose that would affect the price of gas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies