Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:56 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,022,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Many of the homeless are even employed today, making an average of $9,500 per year, which isn't enough for an apartment in most places. Have you noticed the same?

The State of Homelessness in America - 2012
Perhaps $9,500 is not enough for an apartment, but three guys living together as roommates could do it easily.

The dumbing down of America has succeeded better than anyone could have imagined. Years of watching television and playing video games has paid off for the people who want us to be compliant, ignorant and dependent upon the government for their existence.

In numbers even homeless people can achieve great things. But you really have to want to.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:57 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,140,283 times

JOE SOUTH- " WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES " - YouTube

Old 09-01-2012, 10:57 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,383,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I live in a rural area with some tremendously kind people who will give you the shirt off of their backs, but even here the nasty mindset you reference is present and I think it is getting worse. I wish there was more focus on the Randite philosophy that Mr. Ryan now tried to pretend was never at the center of his life. We should talk about the obligations we have as Americans vs. ourselves. It's important.
IMO, the "Randite philosophy" brings out the absolute worst in people! Totally greedy and destroys the idea of any social responsibility. People have deluded themselves into thinking they have accomplished everything in their lives all by themselves. I agree with you that the greedy nasty mindset is actually getting worse. Amazing that so many so-called Christians, like Paul Ryan, love Ayn Rand and her philosophy so much!

Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Perhaps $9,500 is not enough for an apartment, but three guys living together as roommates could do it easily.

The dumbing down of America has succeeded better than anyone could have imagined. Years of watching television and playing video games has paid off for the people who want us to be compliant, ignorant and dependent upon the government for their existence.

In numbers even homeless people can achieve great things. But you really have to want to.

20yrsinBranson
Indeed the dumbing down of America has succeeded. Take those who believe that if you just work hard enough, you will be wealthy. How many millionaires on this board? How many millionaires do you know? Or are all your acquaintances "lazy?" Are we, ourselves, "lazy?"

Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,323,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I volunteer at a rescue mission for the homeless --- and they do have cell phones, cell phones with cameras and the whole bit.

How do homeless people recharge their cell phones?

Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
IMO, the "Randite philosophy" brings out the absolute worst in people! Totally greedy and destroys the idea of any social responsibility. People have deluded themselves into thinking they have accomplished everything in their lives all by themselves. I agree with you that the greedy nasty mindset is actually getting worse. Amazing that so many so-called Christians, like Paul Ryan, love Ayn Rand and her philosophy so much!
I get the radical priests. I get the Mennonites. I do not get the poor-hating, pro-war, social justice-ridiculing, in-name-only Christians. And I never will.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM

15,798 posts, read 21,314,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes he was. He had an oncologist, he was given chemotherapy, he spent some time in the hospital. They did all they could to get him to move into the homeless shelter but he out-and-out refused. He truly was homeless by choice, he was "odd" and yet did not appear to be very crazy. He said he would be afraid in the homeless shelter but I really don't think that was a realistic fear. He also did not like to shower or bathe -- he would become angry in the hospital when they forced baths on him.

I know for a fact that many homeless would have to be kept locked up if you decided you wanted them off the streets, and they do not want to be locked up.
Yes, he was crazy. Risking his life and the life of other innocent, medically compliant, immunocomprimised cancer patients because he didn't want to bathe? Yes, that IS mental illness.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,585,358 times
I'm a bit shocked by some of the responses - "no sympathy" whatsoever? Really? "God opposes the proud and gives grace to the humble".

And then the others - "how dare you not give the man something to eat"! Well, normally I do that through the local food banks and kitchens, though I did hand a young man on the streets a ten the other day. But I almost feel dirty having said that, as this post wasn't really about me or the things I do or don't do for the homeless. I don't do enough. Satisfied?

Take this post for what it's worth, just an anecdote. This is California. I've never been homeless myself, but have been living around homeless people all of my life. I started off with a minimum wage job out of high school, a lot of pride, and an Ayn Rand attitude almost 30 years ago. For decades it did seem as though most of the homeless were substance abusers or mentally ill. Personally, by my observation, that seems to have been changing over the last several years. I'm seeing a lot more young people. I don't know their stories, but I know that in this region the true unemployment rate is around 18-20 percent. Home Depot is hiring here too. Big deal. The problem today is that they have 100 applicants with years of retail sales experience. Some kid out of high school doesn't have a chance. Laid off construction workers don't have much more of a chance. Yes, they have my sympathy and prayers and not enough of my help.

Let's talk about the substance abusers, the mentally ill, and the moral train wrecks who have burned all their bridges. I know a fellow who was just released from prison. He has a wife and five children, but she won't let him live there. (Quite understandably under the circumstances.) "There but for the grace of God go I." Yes, I have sympathy for them too, as should you if you have any life in your soul. The homeless problem is our problem, your problem, and we ignore their plight at great peril to our souls.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,062,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
What? You don't believe he was paying for all of that on $8 per hour?
Maybe 20 years ago, but wages have not kept up with inflation.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,323,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson

And then if your slimeball roommate skips out on the rent/utilities and leave you the tab, then what? Just part of the cost of living with roommates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies