Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:04 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I guess that is the answer you are looking for Western. My guess is they will want to keep the other government checks coming in, so I doubt one would go against what they are required to do as a hospital because a hospital is not the same thing as a church, even if a church runs a hospital.
No, that's not right. All health plans, regardless of employer, will be required to cover contraceptives. See: Contraceptive mandate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 01:09 AM

635 posts, read 539,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
No, that's not right. All health plans, regardless of employer, will be required to cover contraceptives. See: Contraceptive mandate.
The hospital is the provider, not the insurer.

According to your link, "The Obama administration proposed changes in response to the criticism. Under the proposed new regulation, birth control medication would be provided by the insurers, without direct involvement by the religious organization."

Old 09-02-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
That's like saying that because the Catholic Church has paid monetary settlements to those who were victims of sexual abuse that I myself as a Catholic am guilty of the sin of the sexual abuse of children. Is that where you really want to go with this?
Wildly false analogy, as usual. If the Catholic Church provided child sex abuse manuals to its employees free of charge, or offered free hospital rooms for the abusers to use while committing their crimes, you would be on to something. Try again.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
The hospital is the provider, not the insurer.

According to your link, "The Obama administration proposed changes in response to the criticism. Under the proposed new regulation, birth control medication would be provided by the insurers, without direct involvement by the religious organization."
Yes, I know. That's extremely disingenuous language on the part of the Obama administration, as the organization still has to financially procure and manage the insurance. The bishops have rightly rejected this.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,604,707 times
Quote:
Wildly false analogy, as usual. If the Catholic Church provided child sex abuse manuals to its employees free of charge, or offered free hospital rooms for the abusers to use while committing their crimes, you would be on to something. Try again.
Why are you fixated on written literature? Is your problem not with birth control itself but instead the directions that come with it on how to use the birth control? I can tell you it doesn't come with a manual to have sex.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Why are you fixated on written literature? Is your problem not with birth control itself but instead the directions that come with it on how to use the birth control? I can tell you it doesn't come with a manual to have sex.
Helenejen:

You don't have to agree for purposes of this discussion. If you're going to participate, just answer the question - how far will Obama go?

If you don't like the example of hospitals, what about Catholic colleges who have formally stated that they will not comply with the mandate? How far will Obama go to enforce this mandate? That is the question. Is he bluffing, or does he mean business?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Helenejen:
I don't know why, but you giving me the hand actually made me laugh.

Quote:
You don't have to agree for purposes of this discussion. If you're going to participate, just answer the question - how far will Obama go?

If you don't like the example of hospitals, what about Catholic colleges who have formally stated that they will not comply with the mandate? How far will Obama go to enforce this mandate? That is the question. Is he bluffing, or does he mean business?
I already answered that. Frankly I liked the compromise he already offered. It was a distinction worthy of the Catholic Church.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I don't know why, but you giving me the hand actually made me laugh.
Glad I could be of service.

Quote:
I already answered that.
Sorry, I must have missed it. Can you run that by me again?

Quote:
Frankly I liked the compromise he already offered. It was a distinction worthy of the Catholic Church.
Of course it doesn't matter whether you like his bogus "compromise" or not. The bishops reject it, and many Catholic organizations reject it. How far will Obama go to force their compliance?

Old 09-02-2012, 01:38 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
The mandate is already in effect as of August 1, 2012

Obama’s Contraception Mandate Takes Effect Today | TPMDC

Quote:
As of Aug. 1, new or renewing health insurance plans are required to provide birth control to women at no out-of-pocket cost. Houses of worship are exempt and religious nonprofits get a one-year reprieve, as well as the option to pass the cost to the insurance company.
They can pass the cost on to the insurance company as opposed to paying for it themselves and they won't even know which of their employees makes use of this particular benefit if the insurance company does it.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I must have missed it. Can you run that by me again?
No one is being arrested.

Quote:
Of course it doesn't matter whether you like his bogus "compromise" or not. The bishops reject it, and many Catholic organizations reject it. How far will Obama go to force their compliance?
Not far at all. What gives you the impression that he will do otherwise? I hardly think of him as a stand-your-ground type of guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies