U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
 
31,372 posts, read 17,755,591 times
Reputation: 14358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
No evidence of God?
None, nada, not a scintilla.

Quote:
Are you ignorant of human biology?
Ah no.

Quote:
Do you think the complexity of the human body, down to the inner workings of the cell all happened by mere chance?
No again! Not mere chance just billions of years of cellular evolution.

Quote:
Get real.
I think that it is you who should try getting real.

Quote:
Look at places in the solar system inhospitable for life. Do you think that a place inhospitable for life is going to produce a diversity of life with so much complexity?
Obviously not, which speaks more to chance than anything that I can think of.

Quote:
Seriously?
Very seriously!

Quote:
The only logical explanation is God!
"I don't have any explanation for certain natural phenomenon thus, it must have been some kind of god," and you think that is logical?

 
Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 5,528,170 times
Reputation: 3104
This is why I am against homeschooling. Idiots should not be teaching anyone.
 
Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 PM
 
7,541 posts, read 2,526,279 times
Reputation: 1821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
So are you now not saying that it was the Colorado River that eroded the ground to form the Grand Canyon?
When people start a sentence with "So are you now not/saying" means you are putting words into their mouths.

I suggest you read it again because it is not what I said.


Quote:
That was the official theory.
No, the official reason is EROSION by water. I suggest you put down your creationist created science book and pick up a REAL science book, especially one on geophysics and geology.

What you fail to understand is that the consensus is that the canyon was created through EROSION. Exactly how the EROSION happened, being that it was due to the Colorado River in whole or not, is what is up for the debate.

Quote:
Are evolutionists now backtracking from that, since it is so obviously preposterous?
BZZT. Evolution has nothing to do with erosion. You don't even know the difference between Evolution ( the science of how species were created) and simple Geology (the study of all things that have to do with the Earth)

Quote:
If you claim that it was covered by water, couldn't it just as much have been under water because of a global flood,
ICE AGE. didn't you learn about the ICE Age in your religious science classes? You need to learn Geology. You are surely showing that you've never heard of the science.


Quote:
You know, what's sad, is that you folly yourself in knowing material, but you're likely much younger than me, know far less science than myself, and are far more gullible.
Trust me, YOU are way younger than me. And it shows because you don't even know the difference of evolutin and Geology.


Quote:
You know it's 4.5 billion years old because of what? Someone told you that, despite no evidence?

Carbon dating bites you in the #$#$3v on this.
 
Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
8,707 posts, read 4,516,556 times
Reputation: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post



Child Abuse?

Wow, you equate telling children that an all-powerful God created the Heavens and the Earth, and all within it, to child abuse? The sad part is that you probably believe it.

Oh yes, putting children at a disadvantage? How so, when the nonsense that the opposition promotes cannot even be proven?
Stop twisting the words to suit your purposes. There is nothing wrong with teaching children about any and all religions.

I once posted that evolution was God's way of tweaking things to improve them, and was told that it was impossible for God to create anything that needed to be tweaked. The alternative to thiis is that Adam and Eve killed the dinosaurs by overfeeding them on apples because they refused to evolve. Science isn't something that someone sat down one afternoon and wrote like a novel. All scientific fact is subject to change pending further observation.

To teach children (as demonstrated in this "textbook") that there is only one explanation and that science is a mere "guess" decidedly stunts the intellectual growth of a child. It is the equivalent of locking the child in a closet until adulthood, where they find themselves socially, educationally, and mentally unprepared to integrate themselves into society and function as a human being.

I'll stick with my choice of the word "abuse". If you get a chance to see the documentary "Jesus Camp", don't miss it.
 
Old 09-03-2012, 12:20 PM
 
811 posts, read 240,599 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
We have observable data. From fossils to carbon dating.
It sounds like you're spewing stuff from 7th grade, 10th grade, or a college Biology class.

The fact of the matter is that fossils can be formed relatively quick under the right conditions.


Carbon Dating is only reliable for objects under 50,000 years, and most carbon samples come back showing things less than two have lives. This gives more credibility to a young Earth theory.

Why, it breaks down half of the sample in only 5730 years or so.

After 11,000 years, only 25% is left. After 16,500 or so years, only 12.5% is left.

Quote:
Carbon Dating, and long trusted medium to determine age, says that you are wrong.
Carbon dating can't measure anything in the billions of years range, let alone millions. Thus, where's your proof?

Quote:
Observable data shown in the striations of the canyon walls, the different types of rock found in each layer and the fossils found in each layer, says you are wrong.
Do you not realize that many layers of sediment can be deposited rather rapidly during floods,each with different materials? This has been shown in locations around the Earth, providing evidence for a flood.



Quote:
Science says you are wrong.
Science claims that it can't prove anything, only that it provides evidence that offers a reasonable explanation.


Quote:
Your post is one of the reasons why religious indoctrination is so very dangerous.

Evidence for a Young Earth - Convicted - Dr. Brad Harrub - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRSjzY0s0SM

Last edited by Sound of Reason; 09-03-2012 at 12:33 PM..
 
Old 09-03-2012, 12:22 PM
 
22,229 posts, read 16,345,643 times
Reputation: 7222
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post


LINK!
I was looking for one but I'm finding all religious sites. I believe the show on it I saw was on the Science Channel, Discovery etc. The issue is that the volume of water that is the Colorado today would be hard pressed to produce that type of erosion even over millions of years. In geological time the Grand Canyon is not that old. When you get a large volume of water rapidly moving through a river basin it can carve new river channels literally overnight. That would help explain how the Colorado was able to erode such a large quantity of material so fast.

It may have been carved over million of years, it may have initially been very rapid.... proabaly both. There is two competing theories here and these are scientific based theories. It has nothing to do with religion, the great flodd or anything of that nature.
 
Old 09-03-2012, 12:25 PM
 
811 posts, read 240,599 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Yes. there is no evidence of "God". He was created by powerful and rich and overbearing men, who wanted to control the weak minded, ignorant, and uneducated people, to scare them that an all mighty being would punish them if they didn't follow the commands of those above them, who told them that they were being spoken to by "God".



Science has figured this all out. No "God" involved. Science has even gone down to explore the human biology right down the the GENOME level. Its not a mystery anymore. Only people who wish to remain ignorant thinks that its a mystery.




And you fail at understanding astrophysics as well.




The logical explanation is knowing that you are uneducated about basic science .
Uneducated about basic science? This is the most laughable claim that I have ever heard.

You probably know a fraction of what I know regarding biology, so you're in over your head if you really want to go there.
 
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 5,528,170 times
Reputation: 3104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Uneducated about basic science? This is the most laughable claim that I have ever heard.

You probably know a fraction of what I know regarding biology, so you're in over your head if you really want to go there.
Unfortunately, everything you seem to know appears to be wrong.
 
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM
 
811 posts, read 240,599 times
Reputation: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Unfortunately, everything you seem to know appears to be wrong.
Only to those who choose to deny God and seek to deny all the evidence and observed phenomena to support their unreasonable, illogical explanations.
 
Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 5,528,170 times
Reputation: 3104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
Only to those who choose to deny God and seek to deny all the evidence and observed phenomena to support their unreasonable, illogical explanations.
I don't deny God. I do find it funny that you use reason and logic in a sentence, but your posts are devoid of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top