Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Good for you, if it had not been labor Day you would have not pulled in the extra pay, opps
Do I owe the unions for the 4th, Thanksgiving, christmas, new years, Martin luther King day and easter as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Do I owe the unions for the 4th, Thanksgiving, christmas, new years, Martin luther King day and easter as well?
You can thank them for all your Holidays, Vacations and and sorts of benefits you get, read your history and learn what businesses did before Unions were formed.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:38 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,524,353 times
Quote:
You can certainly thank them for getting PAID on those holidays.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You can thank them for all your Holidays, Vacations and and sorts of benefits you get, read your history and learn what businesses did before Unions were formed.
The company I work for has a long history of giving its employees benefits, including profit sharing and retirement. Founded in 1837..

Old 09-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You can certainly thank them for getting PAID on those holidays.
Perhaps or I can look at the fact the company I worked for did much of these things on their own.
My best friend can thank the Union because he is unemployed this labor day. His Union absolutely refused to compromise. The company closed the doors and moved to South Carolina.
Techniglass in PA same story. By the way my none Union plant paid better than either one of those companys and had a better retirement.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Which many woud not pay, tried going down that road myself and guess what they did not understand that if I worked on a day I would be paid for but for time and a half then I would be working for half pay. You assume a lot, yes I do work in the high tech industry, but my job is not one that keeps me in an office and not getting dirty working on the equipment, and as a former US Army Grunt and as someone that lives in the country and does more hard work in two days than you do all week I would have to say your ignorance is showing. Want to try again
You obviously did not understand the concept that there are industries and businesses that require workers work on a holiday and pay them well for it. I think even in the Army ya sometimes gotta work on a holiday.

I am sure that country living is real rough on ya.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
Quote:
The company I work for has a long history of giving its employees benefits, including profit sharing and retirement. Founded in 1837..
In most cases employers will give their employees something that is accepted in that industry. Standards that were set in negotiations between unions and employers, will sometimes trickle to non-unionized companies. However, you will rarely see one employer offering its employees something no one else offers.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
In most cases employers will give their employees something that is accepted in that industry. Standards that were set in negotiations between unions and employers, will sometimes trickle to non-unionized companies. However, you will rarely see one employer offering its employees something no one else offers.
In some cases this is true. In 1837 which Unions were pressuring for profit sharing or retirement?
Fortunately in our plant we have told the Union to go pound sand 4 times in the last 20 years. The folks who wanted the Union tend to be the laziest and worst performers. I wonder why they would want a Union?
That said I have a healthy respect for the trades Unions. In my experience they produce some very highly skilled craftsmen.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:48 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
"In the 1890's violent outbreaks occurred in the North, South, and West, in small communities and metropolitan cities, testifying to the common attitudes of Americans in every part of the United States." Workers with different ethnic origins who worked under very different conditions in widely separated parts of the United States nonetheless responded with equal ferocity when unions came under attack. "Serious violence erupted in several major strikes of the 1890's, the question of union recognition being a factor in all of them."
Source: Philip Taft and Philip Ross, "American Labor Violence: Its Causes, Character, and Outcome," The History of Violence in America: A Report to the National Commission on the Causes and Prevention of Violence, ed. Hugh Davis Graham and Ted Robert Gurr, 1969.

1892 in particular was a year of considerable labor unrest. Governors of five states called out the national guard and/or the army to quell unrest—against miners in East Tennessee and in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, where a shooting war followed the discovery of a labor spy, against switchmen in Buffalo, New York, against a general strike in New Orleans, Louisiana, and against the Homestead, Pennsylvania steel strike.

=========================

Shortly after 1 AM on October 1, 1910, a time bomb constructed of 16 sticks of 80% dynamite connected to a cheap windup alarm clock exploded in an alley next to the Los Angeles Times. It detonated with such violence that for blocks around, people ran panic-stricken into the streets, believing that an intense earthquake had hit the city. The explosion destroyed the Times building, taking the lives of 20 employees, including the night editor and the principle telegraph operator, and maiming dozens of others.

Two other time bombs – intended to kill Gen. Harrison Gray Otis, the publisher of the newspaper, and Felix J. Zeehandelaar, the head of a Los Angeles business organization – were discovered later that morning hidden in the bushes next to their homes. Their mechanisms had jammed.

Eventually two brothers, J.B. McNamara, who planted the bombs, and J.J. McNamara, an official of the International Assn. of Bridge and Structural Iron Workers union who ordered the attacks, were arrested, convicted, and imprisoned.

=========================

Here is to remembering over 130 years of union violence.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You obviously did not understand the concept that there are industries and businesses that require workers work on a holiday and pay them well for it. I think even in the Army ya sometimes gotta work on a holiday.

I am sure that country living is real rough on ya.
True and in the Army there is no extra pay for it.

Nope, wrong again, I Love living in the country where I do not have to listen to the drone of traffic in the background, and can go hiking, hunting and fishing at any time, hard work has it's own rewards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies