Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,158,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I am curious to hear why people feel the rich should pay more in taxes than the middle class for example.
Wahhh, because they have more than I do and I don't want get my hands dirty to work for it, plus my college professor told me I am entitled to other people's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,818,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I know you think I'm BSing you but I really don't know what you're getting at. I am by no means a tax expert, that's why I have a financial advisor and accountant.
H&R Block is offering all that and a fast refund? Shoot, I need to get down there.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,653,599 times
The idea of a progressive tax was first signed into law by Abraham Lincoln. You know, the hero of the Right.

It absolutely makes sense.

My wife and I are well off.

5% of our income means nothing to us.

To the poor, 5% means a lot. It might mean missed meals.

I agree with President Reagan (look it up, uneducated Pubs). A progressive tax system (instead of a flat tax) makes sense. I would gladly pay 40% of my income to help those who have to do without.

What Would Jesus Do, right?

WWJD?

Seriously, WWJD?

You claim to be Christians, but you love to screw the poor at every turn.

Would Jesus cut taxes for the rich and cut programs for the poor?

Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
Because the wealthy CONTROL most of the country, and receive the most BENEFIT from the United States operating in its current state.

It's only fair to ask those that derive the most benefit to pay a bit more. It's only fair and natural that if you OWN 3/4 of all wealth and assets in the United States, you should also PAY for the maintenance and protection burden for 3/4 of the United States.

For god's sake we have literally INVADED other countries on behalf of FRUIT COMPANIES!!

Why is this so hard to understand?

Don't want to pay more taxes? Don't make more money and accumulate more crap that the rest of us have to protect through war and military "protecting" access to "resources" and "commerce"!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

WWJD?

Seriously, WWJD?

Corinthians 5:4 and 5:5

When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.

Proverbs 23:14

Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death.

Christianity isn't an excuse to, without just cause, tolerate bums. It would be quite easy to find dozens of similar verses.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 09-03-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 09:55 PM

629 posts, read 944,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Because the wealthy CONTROL most of the country, and receive the most BENEFIT from the United States operating in its current state.

It's only fair to ask those that derive the most benefit to pay a bit more. It's only fair and natural that if you OWN 3/4 of all wealth and assets in the United States, you should also PAY for the maintenance and protection burden for 3/4 of the United States.

For god's sake we have literally INVADED other countries on behalf of FRUIT COMPANIES!!

Why is this so hard to understand?

Don't want to pay more taxes? Don't make more money and accumulate more crap that the rest of us have to protect through war and military "protecting" access to "resources" and "commerce"!
Ha ha, yeah, consider it a user fee for owning the government and running it from behind the scenes.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,928,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I know you think I'm BSing you but I really don't know what you're getting at. I am by no means a tax expert, that's why I have a financial advisor and accountant.
He is implying that you must not pay taxes. He is implying anyone who actually pays taxes would be against paying taxes. He must be operating off of the assumption that everyone who pays income taxes is a selfish sob.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
He must be operating off of the assumption that everyone who pays income taxes is a selfish sob.
Everyone who doesn't work for the government, works hard, has big money, doesn't want the government telling them how to live, or rejects self-immolation as an expression of morality rejects the idea that paying taxes (in excess of those necessary to preserve the nation) is good. That's the assumption.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 PM

23,667 posts, read 23,987,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
The idea of a progressive tax was first signed into law by Abraham Lincoln. You know, the hero of the Right.

It absolutely makes sense.

My wife and I are well off.

5% of our income means nothing to us.

To the poor, 5% means a lot. It might mean missed meals.

I agree with President Reagan (look it up, uneducated Pubs). A progressive tax system (instead of a flat tax) makes sense. I would gladly pay 40% of my income to help those who have to do without.

WWJD?

Seriously, WWJD?

You can stop confusing fiscal conservatives with Christians any day now. They are not interchangeable terms.

Oh, and if you want to give 40%, there's nothing stopping you. You can give 90% for all anyone cares, if you want to. You just can't demand the same of anyone else.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:21 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,928,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Everyone who doesn't work for the government, works hard, has big money, doesn't want the government telling them how to live, or rejects self-immolation as an expression of morality rejects the idea that paying taxes (in excess of those necessary to preserve the nation) is good. That's the assumption.
Your post makes no sense. I don't think this is what you meant when you typed it. It is late. You just may be tired. Self immolation- have no idea how that plays into anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies