Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was listening to talk radio yesterday and the show was about the question of why people under 30 still support Obama so overwhelmingly despite being the generation affected most by this economy. The host asked the question and then numerous young people called in to answer it. Almost every caller said that gay marriage was the primary reason they or their friends were supporting Obama. They see a vote for Romney as a vote for closed-minded bigotry and homophobia, despite the fact Romney would probably be the better choice on the economy. It appears Obama's strategy has worked in coming out for same sex marriage. He has won over young voters and energized them, which once again is ironic because they are the ones suffering most under his economy. This could ultimately be what wins Obama the election.
I saw a poll recently that placed support among young people for same-sex marriage at 70%. There's still a significant minority that oppose it, however. They appear to be quiet, given what's at stake if they came "out" with their views, especially now that many of the pro-same sex marriage crowd is vicious in attacking whoever has the audacity to challenge their opinion.

Personally, as a 25-year-old, I have seen many Facebook posts from people my age in support of same-sex marriage, and when Pres. Obama came out in favor of it, some people linked to news articles proclaiming the fact and many people "liked" it. But I still don't think that same-sex marriage is really an "important" factor in the voting choice of most young people. I would say that many who oppose Romney fear he will erode the social safety net and public programs (which include student loans) and support policies that would further enrich the rich at the expense of the middle and working classes.

Last edited by tvdxer; 09-05-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 PM

398 posts, read 729,391 times
The reason people support MR .......ignorance.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
1) Gay marriage? Sure, in places like the village in NYC, San Francisco or LA they do. But overall in America (which includes WV, OH and TX as well), the majority of people under 30, do not care about that, one way or another. America is so large that listening to one media outlet may distort your view. Obama may speak to young people more then Romney, but not necessary because of gay marriage.
2) Which Obama economic policies make young people suffer? (Unless of course you refer to his general failure to stop the recession...)
Speak for yourself. Many Texans will be staying home because of this issue and others, or voting for Obama. Civil liberties should be supported by all canidates

Old 09-06-2012, 02:30 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And where did you hear that?
Don't tell me, Faux.
I don't recall MSNBC saying that.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:31 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I was listening to talk radio yesterday and the show was about the question of why people under 30 still support Obama so overwhelmingly despite being the generation affected most by this economy. The host asked the question and then numerous young people called in to answer it. Almost every caller said that gay marriage was the primary reason they or their friends were supporting Obama. They see a vote for Romney as a vote for closed-minded bigotry and homophobia, despite the fact Romney would probably be the better choice on the economy. It appears Obama's strategy has worked in coming out for same sex marriage. He has won over young voters and energized them, which once again is ironic because they are the ones suffering most under his economy. This could ultimately be what wins Obama the election.
Romney's practices are a big reason we're in the situation we're in. Outsourcing and downsizing has eliminated hundreds of thousands of jobs in this country.

Clearchannel ruined radio. Romney owns Clearchannel.

There's more reasons than just "gay marriage" that people aren't voting for Romney.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Gay rights are not a social view.... they are a civil right

Gay people don't choose to be gay, just like blacks don't choose to be black..... big difference between this and .....

Choices.....social views are things like drugs, abortions, birth control, prostitution etc. people choose to do these things and are not born this way (and some of these views currently are not progression)

Don't ever try to lump basic human rights in with human choice based many times on lack of self control
Born that way or not, there is nothing different about a gay person from a straight person other than what they do with their genitals. There may be correlations to homosexuality such as brain structure, hair whorl, finger length, etc but no PHYSICAL trait has been discovered that is exclusive to gay people nor does every gay person have those features. That is the one thing that separates race from sexual preference. The stereotypical lisp and feminine characteristics aren't exclusive to gay people either nor does every gay person have them, though are certainly a correlation.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
obama appeals to the elderly and the young... more so than the baby boomers.. I can't understand the baby boomer generation to save my life.. I know it's not accurate to paint with a broad brush, but I just feel like there's a lot of anger, resentment, and division in THAT generation.. way more so than any other alive right now.. I wonder if it has anything to do with vietnam and all the political, economical, and social changes that took place in such a short period of time??? It's hard to put your finger on it. I can sit with my grandmother who is 80 and we totally see eye to eye even though she doesn't label herself as a progressive or democrat.. but with my baby boomer father (her son) he just like's to rant and rave about liberals and democrats and social security etc.. all the while ignoring the fact that social security and veterans benefits from his father are the only thing providing a comfortable decent retirement for his mother my grandma... we both can sit and just roll our eyes as he rants.. it's quite comical.. I just love her to death... is this just my family? or does anyone else relate?

my favorite quote from her was this "that little black boy has more intelligence in his little finger then all the rest of them combined"

Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
obama appeals to the elderly and the young... more so than the baby boomers.. I can't understand the baby boomer generation to save my life.. I know it's not accurate to paint with a broad brush, but I just feel like there's a lot of anger, resentment, and division in THAT generation.. way more so than any other alive right now.. I wonder if it has anything to do with vietnam and all the political, economical, and social changes that took place in such a short period of time??? It's hard to put your finger on it. I can sit with my grandmother who is 80 and we totally see eye to eye even though she doesn't label herself as a progressive or democrat.. but with my baby boomer father (her son) he just like's to rant and rave about liberals and democrats and social security etc.. all the while ignoring the fact that social security and veterans benefits from his father are the only thing providing a comfortable decent retirement for his mother my grandma... we both can sit and just roll our eyes as he rants.. it's quite comical.. I just love her to death... is this just my family? or does anyone else relate?
Really? Every older person I know is pretty upbeat and content

It seems like an awfully high number of angry younger folks out there...... then again, not all their fault, they are the 1st big generation of kids of the start of the bad parenting era, also all the garbage culture they have to endure, far more pressures than generations before and nwhere near the same level of opportunity as before

I know I am making excuses for them, but I feel kind of sorry for them sometimes

Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Really? Every older person I know is pretty upbeat and content

It seems like an awfully high number of angry younger folks out there...... then again, not all their fault, they are the 1st big generation of kids of the start of the bad parenting era, also all the garbage culture they have to endure, far more pressures than generations before and nwhere near the same level of opportunity as before

I know I am making excuses for them, but I feel kind of sorry for them sometimes
while very valid points... I still think that there's a bigger picture perhaps your generation might be missing.. I get a very "terrified and scared" vibe from baby boomers.. not really anything in particular either.. just everything!.. they think everyone is out to get them, destroy their families, destroy their lives.. It's like they're scared of loss. Perhaps it's being the generation that was given so much, has a lot to lose, while other generations have vivid distant and very recent memories of loss.. I don't know? Maybe my grandma is just really progressive in her little house here in ideehoo.. hehe

Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
while very valid points... I still think that there's a bigger picture perhaps your generation might be missing.. I get a very "terrified and scared" vibe from baby boomers.. not really anything in particular either.. just everything!.. they think everyone is out to get them, destroy their families, destroy their lives.. It's like they're scared of loss. Perhaps it's being the generation that was given so much, has a lot to lose, while other generations have vivid distant and very recent memories of loss.. I don't know? Maybe my grandma is just really progressive in her little house here in ideehoo.. hehe
Actually, I am late 20's in age

I guess I can see where you are coming from...... it probably dependes on income with boomers regarding their happiness. If they are struggling they probably are not too happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies