Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
That link doesn't seem to be working
Try it again: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Except that part of it isn't just that they're bringing in "white" culture. Part of it is that the white newcomers are pricing out the old-time Hispanic residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
You got that right. I wish we had an influx of asians and indians here in Westbury, instead of these illegals. Having been in NHP frequently enough I would not move out of there. It's actually one of the few non overpriced, but safe areas on LI. The OP would have much more to complain about living in Westbury, the schools are ghettofabulous (unless you're west of Ellison), you have men hanging around and getting drunk at all hours, overcrowded homes popping up where people move out, with lots of cars with out of state plates around. Immigration is a good thing when done legally, such as what has happened to NHP, but it's a bad thing when done ILLEGALLY, like in Westbury and countless other LI Communities.
Are you from INS? How do you know the immigration staus of those people in Westbury? I know areas where Hispanic men hang around looking for work, and they just leave everybody alone. From what you've posted in your videos, it doesn't seem like those "illegals" are "worse" than the ones we have in SI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
She is worried about asians and indians? Really? I understand worrying about an influx of blacks and hispanics, but asians?
I'm going to be honest: I see what you're saying, but that statement doesn't sit too well with me (and it's nothing against you). If their neighbors had kids who were like me and had perfect grades, but were Hispanic, I don't see what's "understandable" about it. Or if some of the Black kids with good grades in my class moved next door to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The common denominator is that they are mostly all Spanish speakers. There are more Hispanics regardless of race/cultural differences coming here both legally and illegally more than any other ethnic group. Most of them are from Mexico. That is not diversity and as evidenced by the way Spanish is being pushed in this country they aren't assimilating but colonizing instead.
And there are many Hispanics who are assimilating. It would amaze you to know how many Hispanics don't even speak Spanish. (And even among those who do speak Spanish, many speak perfectly good English. You'd never be able to tell I'm Hispanic just from my accent alone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If the Indian and Asian students become the majority and start excluding her white child from activities, would that be considered racist?
Yes.

Personally, though, I was never a social person anyway, and I've rarely hung out with friends outside of school-related activities. (Why do you think I spend so much time on here? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMary View Post
You obviously dont know the area! The Asian, Indian and Spanish population are far from being the minority. The reason the discussion did not go well is that there are ignorant angry people who like to make everything a racism issue.
It is inherent for a parent to want what is best for her child and any good parent would get that.
Asians & Hispanics are minorities in this country, no? That's like saying that there aren't minorities in Brownsville, Brooklyn because it's mostly Black.

In any case, New Hyde Park is 58.1% White. Unless there's been a ton of White flight in the past two years, Whites aren't a minority in that area, and even if they were, it would be a while before Asians actually became the majority. Asians make up 26% of the population.

I like math. Let's do some calculations for the fun of it. The total population of New Hyde Park is 9,712, so half of that would be 4,856. The existing White population is 5,642, which means that in order for Whites to become less than half the population (i.e. A minority), over 14% of the Whites would have to move out.

The Asian population is 2,521, which means that in order for Asians to become a majority (not a plurality which just means that they outnumber the other groups, but a majority, which means that they make up over 50% of the population), their numbers would have to increase by over 93% over their current numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I work with many Asian people and they all talk about moving to the neighborhoods here that are dominated by Asian people, mainly those of Indian descent. Many are consultants who are new to the area and seem to concentrate on moving to these particular neighborhoods while living in temporary apartments. It's quite competitive because there are a lot of people vying for these homes. Many homes have been sold for a bit MORE than the list price because the buyer wants to live in these neighboroods that are majority Indian. I wonder why they don't move to a more diverse neighborhood, in other words, a "white" neighborhood. Just think, there will be Indian, Irish, Italian, German, English, Polish etc. I couldn't think of a more diverse neighborhood.

If you are going to call a white person a closet racist because they want to move out of a neighborhood that is being dominated by people of a different race, then you have to call these Indian people racists as well. It works both ways.
Except that even the "most Indian" neighborhood isn't going to be "Indian-dominated". The most Asian census tract on Long Island is 43% Asian (which looks like it corresponds with the boundaries of Herricks), and not all of them are Indian. So if you factor out East Asians, you're probably left with an area that's 30-35% Asian Indian or so.

Here's the demographics of the zip code that includes Herricks and part of New Hyde Park. It's 18.3% Asian Indian (32.1% total Asian). 18.3% doesn't constitute being "dominated" by that ethnicity.

In any case, as far as the OP's concerned, if her real issue is worrying about whether her kids will be allowed to participate in social activities or whatever, then the solution is to simply try and make friends with the Indian kids in the class and see what happens. I mean, the OP said the kids didn't have any problem, so maybe they could arrange a playdate or something. That way, you don't have to worry about "What if?". Then you'll know for sure what'll happen. I mean, it's a new schoolyear, so now's as good a time as any to try and get in contact with the other families.

My high school is pretty diverse (it's listed as 26% White, 31% Black, 7% Asian, and 36% Hispanic), and while there is always a slight tendancy for people to stick with people of their own racial/ethnic group, it's definitely not uncommon to see Blacks & Asians, or Whites & Hispanics hanging out together. And part of it is because the demographics of the school zone aren't consistant throughout (so people have friends who they've known since elementary school, and they're more likely to live near each other, making it easier to hang out after school, and so they're more likely to be of their own race). That wouldn't even be an issue in New Hyde Park because it looks like the demographics are basically the same throughout the school zone (and aside from that, this is in elementary school isn't it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 06:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I work with many Asian people and they all talk about moving to the neighborhoods here that are dominated by Asian people, mainly those of Indian descent. Many are consultants who are new to the area and seem to concentrate on moving to these particular neighborhoods while living in temporary apartments. It's quite competitive because there are a lot of people vying for these homes. Many homes have been sold for a bit MORE than the list price because the buyer wants to live in these neighboroods that are majority Indian. I wonder why they don't move to a more diverse neighborhood, in other words, a "white" neighborhood. Just think, there will be Indian, Irish, Italian, German, English, Polish etc. I couldn't think of a more diverse neighborhood.

If you are going to call a white person a closet racist because they want to move out of a neighborhood that is being dominated by people of a different race, then you have to call these Indian people racists as well. It works both ways.
That's true.

With the rules of political correctness, every other group even including immigrants who left their own country to contaminate themselves in this country can insist that they want to live among their own kind -- and it's viewed as perfectly acceptable.

It's only really bad if white Americans say they want to live among their own kind.

I think though it's better to just prepare your kids because this country is being overrun with all kinds of groups moving in. Essentially there is no USA anymore, we have no immigration laws, whoever wants to come can come -- and that seems to pretty much be the whole world. We're not the United States, we're the United Nations.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:45 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
If you're "uncomfortable," move. It's just me but I laugh so hard at the white flight starting on LI. "We're a country of immigrants. We love immigrants." As long as they look and act like us or don't move too close or go to the same schools or open businesses that cater to their likes. There's always the shangri-la of the Louisiana-Texas border. They keep them foreigners out down there! As for Hicksville, I work there and the Indian population has clearly improved the heck out of the place. If we get Asian or Indian neighbors on my block, I'm ecstatic. Generally (as all things are based on the individual) smart, hard working, model Americans looking for the same dream as me.
You may love immigrants.....not me, many are 3rd worlders..........STAY HOME!

310 million people and 20-30 million illegals....they can go somewhere else.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's true.

With the rules of political correctness, every other group even including immigrants who left their own country to contaminate themselves in this country can insist that they want to live among their own kind -- and it's viewed as perfectly acceptable.

It's only really bad if white Americans say they want to live among their own kind.

I think though it's better to just prepare your kids because this country is being overrun with all kinds of groups moving in. Essentially there is no USA anymore, we have no immigration laws, whoever wants to come can come -- and that seems to pretty much be the whole world. We're not the United States, we're the United Nations.
Yes, that has definitely been evidenced by some of the posts on this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies