Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times

Advertisements

I hear over and over again the phrase "American dream" being used by Politicians and i wonder why they think the "American Dream" is the same for all American's.
The "American dream" is, in fact, different for everyone.
We ALL do not want to be multi-millionaires or be CEO's or own companies etc etc etc. and it seems there are those out there who feel that unless you have achieved "Greatness" you are a loser.
The truth is that many in the USA's dream is to own a home and pay their bills and take care of their family. For some, their dream is just to see their children being well educated and given a chance in the USA. For others their dream is that they can get decent health care for themselves and their loved ones without the fear of bankruptcy or even pain and death. ALL of us do not want to be wealthy or have 5 houses or be the leaders of Industry or be successful on the stock market............... far from it.
So let's get real here and STOP trying to make people in the USA feel that they have failed if they do NOT become mega wealthy.
To have the simple things in life and get a fair days pay for a hard days work and to feel that the hardest hit of us are not pushed to one side is the "American Dream" of millions here and must be respected as much as the ones with the "American Dream" to be multi millionaires and rule the World..... until then we will always have a huge split in America and the problem's of the impossible unwanted "American Dream" devised by the Elite.
Does anyone here think we all have the same dream as the wealthy and should be made to feel a failure if we haven't................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is all that is to it. Republicans just try to make it about wealth.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,798,923 times
The American Dream is an idea that the United States is the greatest country in the world, the greatest country that ever has been and ever will be--and that Americans are the greatest people in the world.

All of which is nothing more than unbridled ethnocentrism.

Sorry I didn't respond to the text of your post and opted instead to answer the title question in a different way.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
So you're saying that if someone, who's dream was to get healthcare for his family, was presented with the opportunity to be a CEO of a company after moving up the ladder, he would turn it down because that's not his dream?

People who dream lower only do so because they have no shot at acheiving anything higher than that. Children are told to DREAM BIG and REACH FOR THE STARS...not dream for mediocrity. I will agree that it is very prudent to be prepared for reality, but that should not be the dreams of an individual.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM

994 posts, read 1,591,969 times
American Dream? I think you have to be asleep to experience it!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,873,009 times
There won't be any more American Dreams if Obama is re-elected. No more land of the free.
People want to come here from other countries because your future isn't decided here by someone else- you get to decide your dreams for yourself. Obama wants us all living in poverty. Obama wants to turn us into a third world country. Is that.okay with you? Is that the future you wish to have? I certainly don't. We can't let that happen.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
So you're saying that if someone, who's dream was to get healthcare for his family, was presented with the opportunity to be a CEO of a company after moving up the ladder, he would turn it down because that's not his dream?

People who dream lower only do so because they have no shot at acheiving anything higher than that. Children are told to DREAM BIG and REACH FOR THE STARS...not dream for mediocrity. I will agree that it is very prudent to be prepared for reality, but that should not be the dreams of an individual.
I think the OP is asking - at what price are most people willing to achieve those kinds of dreams? Will people sacrifice their health, freedom, family and values to become multi-millionaires? Because that's often what it takes.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post

And here we have it in a nutshell...........................
YES there are people who would turn down a CEO position because not EVERYONE looks at being a CEO as the be all and end all of their life. I know people who feel they have made it by being good at their job, being respected by their work colleagues and getting a decent pay.
This really annoys me when YOUR reaching for the stars should be the same as everyone else............ YOU couoldn't be more wrong. So YOU decide what is mediocrity and everyone should have YOUR aspirations........... NO WAY!
For a society to be succesful it must run at the strengths of everyone and everyon's strengths are different.
YOU want to be a multi millionare .... go knock yourself out but for many MONEY is Not their God or Goal and they are as important here as anyone else.............. They are as succesful being a family provider as a wealthy man being a family provider but without the constant me. me, me.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is all that is to it. Republicans just try to make it about wealth.
Wealth isn't the dream, wealth is the practical means of achieving your dream. If the dream is to have a comfortable life with your family where you don't have to worry about health care, retirement, etc, you better have a lot of money saved up so that you can cover any expenses that come your way. Wealth is simply another means of achieving your dreams.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
And here we have it in a nutshell...........................
YES there are people who would turn down a CEO position because not EVERYONE looks at being a CEO as the be all and end all of their life. I know people who feel they have made it by being good at their job, being respected by their work colleagues and getting a decent pay.
This really annoys me when YOUR reaching for the stars should be the same as everyone else............ YOU couoldn't be more wrong. So YOU decide what is mediocrity and everyone should have YOUR aspirations........... NO WAY!
For a society to be succesful it must run at the strengths of everyone and everyon's strengths are different.
YOU want to be a multi millionare .... go knock yourself out but for many MONEY is Not their God or Goal and they are as important here as anyone else.............. They are as succesful being a family provider as a wealthy man being a family provider but without the constant me. me, me.
Unfortunately, money is what makes the world turn round. The people that don't strive for better paying jobs, or even jobs at all, are the ones that then become a drain on society by reaping all the benefits that the government will provide for them.

I understand the ideal that money shouldn't be the "end all, be all" but the problem is, in the world, it IS. How can you survive without money?

Also, why does a wealthy man have to be "me, me, me?" Not all wealthy people are all about themselves. Just because they strove to the top of their respective fields doesn't make them any less valuable than someone who is just a successful family provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies