Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times

Advertisements

Young adults should have option of having high deductibles like $2000-2500 its wont break the bank with them.

Not sure why people are opposed to $2500 deductible for singles. Most of then have smartphone bills over $100/month. Weekend drinking tabs of $50-100.

Many young adults can afford the deductible. But this is where university officials over step and "assume" lower co pays at the expense of higher premiums is the way to go.

Plus their parents can put up to $3100 in hsa account (roughly a $1000 real tax savings).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Young adults should have option of having high deductibles like $2000-2500 its wont break the bank with them.

Not sure why people are opposed to $2500 deductible for singles. Most of then have smartphone bills over $100/month. Weekend drinking tabs of $50-100.
Sorry, but such plans aren't allowed under Obamacare. It mandates a bunch of coverage in terms of prescriptions and "wellness checks", that is paid via the premiums. So much for trying to save money by responsibly managing your health care usage.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 PM

415 posts, read 615,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
And they have even more health insurance rate increases effective 1/1/14 when they graduate.
The HHS is allowing insurance companies to increase premiums 45% for ages 18-24 and 35% for ages 25-29 If they fail to purchase a policy, the 'penalty' is $695
Then you will see more and more people like me simply opting to pay the penalty rather than have insurance.

I thought this whole thing was to sop freeloaders from abusing the ER. Funny how that's not going to happen. Per EMTALA hospitals will still have to take the uninsured and the illegals when they show up, and now, thanks to this, there will be more, not less people without health insurance. Plus a hike in people with health insurance who end up freeloaders because their insurance won't cover the ER. But it will cover birth control and colonoscopies. Just not a ruptured appendix that required an ambulance.

My insurance at work that complies with Obamacare does not cover ER visits very well at all. 35% after you pay a $2500 deductible. As my boss said, "assuming they want to pay. They still might not cover you." So I'd be paying $100 a month for what again? Insurance that doesn't cover anything I need as a healthy 29 year old, that's what.

I'll pay the penalty. I'll just get less of a tax refund. Big deal. Cheaper than shelling out $1200 a year (my half; my boss is paying roughly that as well) for insurance that covers nothing I need.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
ObamaCare hinges on millions of under 30 year olds to sign up and pay up to 700% higher premiums as Justice Alito pointed out during the hearings last year; if they choose not to sign up and go without insurance, that will leave only the sickest of us with coverage, which would guarantee an explosion in premiums that none of us have ever experienced.

College students nationwide are bound to experience local versions of 'rate shock' as NC college students are set to experience, which this administration furiously insists are nonexistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies