U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,769,522 times
Reputation: 6633

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It seems like when one posts an argument against anti-same sex marriage, many here dismiss it automatically as tripe, because whoever opposes same-sex marriage MUST be a religious zealot whose argument is of absolutely no merit.

The idea that the OP is proposing is that certain health-related risk factors are much higher among homosexual males than heterosexual males. Enabling them to "marry" one another could make them eligible for additional health benefits. The (stated) fact that they bear additional risk could put more burden on the medical system. I don't necessarily disagree nor agree with his argument, but it certainly should not be dismissed out of hand like so many here do.
Because, you know, I hear so many people calling for a ban on smoking-marriages, or fast-food-marriages, or not-exercising-marriages, or motor-cycle-riding-with-no-helmet-marriages. THAT's how I know this is about the medical system and not fueled by hate for homosexuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,402 posts, read 20,052,948 times
Reputation: 8330
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Here's another:

CDC Report: Blacks Hit by STDs More Than Whites

If we follow your logic, the conclusion is: Blacks are bad people who shouldn't be allowed to get married.


Gay sex and black straight sex are not the same thing, so you are basing your argument on an apples and oranges comparison.

Homosexual intercourse carries with it unique risks.

That both groups are likely to engage in risky behavior doesn't make gay sex equal with straight sex in terms of STD transmission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,588 posts, read 10,742,979 times
Reputation: 9292
Poop....What about the poop? That can't be healthy getting some of that pushed into the shaft of the penis...and what about maintaining control of your bowels after long term anal sex? These are some honest questions...I can imagine gays having oral sex and maintaining reasonable health...But that other stuff...what about certain bacteria entering into the urinary track and working their way to the kidneys or prostrate? Are gay couples doomed to wear condoms forever? Do they have to have an enema before they engage? Sounds like a pretty complicated way of carrying on a relationship- just asking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,402 posts, read 20,052,948 times
Reputation: 8330
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Nice try, but again, you fail to make a logical argument.

Your anti-gay screeds are tired and stale. I take comfort knowing that opinions like yours are on the decline.


Proven wrong and fresh out of arguments...now the predictable name calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 PM
 
35,120 posts, read 40,064,647 times
Reputation: 62030
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
No, same-sex marriage is about marriage.

In general, when people get married, do their numbers of sexual partners go up, down, or remain the same?

I've thought about this part of your statement that I bolded and I have decided that this is NOT a true statement. The reason being: IF same sex marriage is about marriage then it would be referred to as

"Marriage" and NOT "Same Sex Marriage". If you have to single out one part of the statement because it is different from the main part of said statement then it is different. ie: Marriage vs Same Sex Marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 PM
 
637 posts, read 464,500 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Mr. Jim Wallace of Australia puts it in perspective for you:

"I think we're going to owe smokers a big apology when the homosexual community's own statistics for its health - which it presents when it wants more money for health - are that is has higher rates of drug-taking, of suicide, it has the life of a male reduced by up to 20 years ...The life of smokers is reduced by something like seven to 10 years and yet we tell all our kids at school they shouldn't smoke."

As an aside, it's worth noting that anti-smoking zealots are largely those who have ditched Christian morality but who, nevertheless, need to replace it with a moral crusade of some kind.
So, you believe we should outlaw tobacco products, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,372 posts, read 27,521,808 times
Reputation: 6535
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Religion is for the weak.
No, it's for the spiritually advanced.
The weak are the ones who don't believe in higher being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM
 
637 posts, read 464,500 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No, it's for the spiritually advanced.
The weak are the ones who don't believe in higher being.
I'd love to hear the logic behind this one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,769,522 times
Reputation: 6633
Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
I'd love to hear the logic behind this one...
Don't ask for logic from anyone who believes that a 2000 year old comic book character is in control of their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 PM
 
15,723 posts, read 9,615,081 times
Reputation: 6988
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It seems like when one posts an argument against anti-same sex marriage, many here dismiss it automatically as tripe, because whoever opposes same-sex marriage MUST be a religious zealot whose argument is of absolutely no merit.

The idea that the OP is proposing is that certain health-related risk factors are much higher among homosexual males than heterosexual males. Enabling them to "marry" one another could make them eligible for additional health benefits. The (stated) fact that they bear additional risk could put more burden on the medical system. I don't necessarily disagree nor agree with his argument, but it certainly should not be dismissed out of hand like so many here do.
The information that the OP presented is in fact lies. The notion that gays have a lower life expectancy is a myth fabricated by Paul Cameron, an infamous, discredited, fraud who manipulates studies to make gays look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top