U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:10 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,403,704 times
Reputation: 9358

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
The only reason that gas prices fell at the very END of the Bush presidency was because of rapid worldwide fall in demand caused by a near depression that HE helped to create.

Some record.
But somehow, the world has seen a magical increase in demand even though the world hasnt exited that very same economic crisis..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 PM
 
15,723 posts, read 9,616,495 times
Reputation: 6988
This just in, Presidents don't control gas prices. And the fact that you have to resort to calling him names makes your entire argument void.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Metairie, La.
1,156 posts, read 1,565,883 times
Reputation: 769
Fact is, most Americans do indeed believe that presidents control gas prices. Yes, Americans are that stupid. Therefore, I predict that Mitt Romney will win if gas prices are still around $4/gal in early Nov.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,240 posts, read 2,771,470 times
Reputation: 1174
It's incredible how people think the President (Republican or Democrat) controls the price of gas. Get off it already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,240 posts, read 2,771,470 times
Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But somehow, the world has seen a magical increase in demand even though the world hasnt exited that very same economic crisis..
The demand is coming from emerging economies in China, Brazil and India for the most part. You see, they have this thing called the Middle Class that's growing there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,240 posts, read 2,771,470 times
Reputation: 1174
Bush gets credit for $1.50 gas which he did absolutely nothing to get it to that price, but Obama is responsible for gas prices we have today? Yeah, ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,403,704 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
The demand is coming from emerging economies in China, Brazil and India for the most part. You see, they have this thing called the Middle Class that's growing there.
Yes I know, which is why I criticized Obama for lying to the american public about how Presidents are responsible for the price and about how he was going to help drop the price by going after speculators.

I attacked that theory to no end here and was criticized left and right by left wing kooks who said Obama was right, that I didnt know what the hell I was talking about, but now those left wing kooks are making excuses for the prices not dropping...

For example
Market Speculators Drive Up the Price of Oil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Duluth, Minnesota, USA
7,653 posts, read 15,301,899 times
Reputation: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
So, hows all that hope and change working out for you? When I filled my gas tank this evening I noticed in Seattle, regular 89 octane gas at my local Shell station is going for $4.20/gal. I thought gas prices were suppose to go down after Labor Day!!!! Not here anyway. To fill my Dodge Caravan, it cost me $84.00. Now, when Bush was President, 89 octane regular gas was $1.50/gal. To fill my gas tank it cost around $30.00. To make matters worse, with Comrade Barrack Houssain bin O'bummer, the average annual income decreased by over $2,000, with food prices going through the ceiling, the highest in U.S. History. With Pres. Bush, unemployment was hitting around 5%, with O'bummer, it's almost 9% without counting all the millions that have stopped looking for work. More people are dependent and are on foodstamps then anytime in history.
So, I ask you again, how is all the hope and change working out for you?
Or, should that tried old slogan of his be: 'For Real Hope and Real Change, It's Jesus Christ and NOT Comrade Barrack Houssain bin O'bomma'.
Although I am no supporter of Pres. Obama, I feel making a connection between the price of gas or commodities and the current president in office is rather rash. We are not a command economy; the free market, world events, etc. have as much to do with the economic situation and prices as does the president. The president cannot magically implement a policy and know that prosperity will be the result.

Interestingly, Bush was also in office when gas prices peaked here (at $4.059 / gallon).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
13,940 posts, read 10,891,448 times
Reputation: 12702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
So, hows all that hope and change working out for you? When I filled my gas tank this evening I noticed in Seattle, regular 89 octane gas at my local Shell station is going for $4.20/gal. I thought gas prices were suppose to go down after Labor Day!!!! Not here anyway. To fill my Dodge Caravan, it cost me $84.00. Now, when Bush was President, 89 octane regular gas was $1.50/gal. To fill my gas tank it cost around $30.00. To make matters worse, with Comrade Barrack Houssain bin O'bummer, the average annual income decreased by over $2,000, with food prices going through the ceiling, the highest in U.S. History. With Pres. Bush, unemployment was hitting around 5%, with O'bummer, it's almost 9% without counting all the millions that have stopped looking for work. More people are dependent and are on foodstamps then anytime in history.
So, I ask you again, how is all the hope and change working out for you?
Or, should that tried old slogan of his be: 'For Real Hope and Real Change, It's Jesus Christ and NOT Comrade Barrack Houssain bin O'bomma'.
It's working out fine for me.

President Obama has nothing to do with the gas prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 11:40 PM
 
26,324 posts, read 18,938,357 times
Reputation: 14094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Original post gets the Michael Moore Award for accuracy.
In honor of mickey mooron, we should substitute a package of bacon as a prize instead of a gold sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:00 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top