U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 AM

200 posts, read 138,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
That's the nature of the internet I'm afraid. You have to take my word for it or dismiss me as a liar. No skin off my nose either way.

There was no conversation. The woman and her bicycle were in a blind spot behind parked vehicles. The true distance - my best guess anyway - was around 15-25 yards. We weren't even close.

Yes, I could have and should have slowed down a little more at the yield line. No question there. But her reaction was comical. I've been on the other side of careless driver mistakes hundreds of times and don't react the way the MLSers react. I know people make mistakes and cut them lots of slack. But for the MLS, it's a moral outrage that I was talking on my cell phone, and it's a moral outrage that I failed to remember there's potentially an entitled low-carbon-footprint bicyclist behind every parked vehicle.
How do you know it's moral outrage. Isn't it possible you scared you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 AM

12,568 posts, read 13,980,086 times
"...mannish, short haircut..."

Oh, no. Man, if she was a real True Liberal she would have judo-chopped you into the middle of next week, and shoved your cell up your you-know-what....all without getting off her bicycle.

She was probably just some ol' garden variety woman you scared with your carelessness. She could have even been on her way to church.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:17 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,970,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
So from a visual appraisal you made a judgment on someones religious and political views, leanings and standpoint? Impressive.
This thread is so amusing coming from a judgemental finger wagging poster whose other posts are an exercise in self righteousness and archaic ideas. But maybe he has a direct link to people's minds from a divinely granted gift ? He breaks the law and the "mannish" woman is at fault. Love it.

Heck we all know the "types" don't we ? Those people who care about their environment, and social issues and get involved . How dare they ? Their evil and presumptuous nature knows no bounds. And "mannish" ? Well the little Lady should know her place and role and wear pleated skirts and white blouse so we can be assured she is not trying to usurp proper males.

So much better to preach from a pulpit and wag the finger at those who do rather than those who talk rot.

I have had a few encounters with rude cyclists but their take on the environment or the way they looked was never an issue with me.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:56 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,538,194 times
Quote:

Yes, I could have and should have slowed down a little more at the yield line. No question there. But her reaction was comical. I've been on the other side of careless driver mistakes hundreds of times and don't react the way the MLSers react. I know people make mistakes and cut them lots of slack. But for the MLS, it's a moral outrage that I was talking on my cell phone, and it's a moral outrage that I failed to remember there's potentially an entitled low-carbon-footprint bicyclist behind every parked vehicle.
And you were morally outraged that a woman with a mannish haircut wagged her finger at you.

Other moral outrages:

The ending of Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Calling it jumbo shrimp
The designated hitter rule
Coke Zero
Justin Bieber's hair

I suggest you send a sternly worded letter to your representative in Congress immediately and express your outrage. Be sure to mention her mannish haircut. The future of our country is at stake. Then maybe you should lie down because I imagine the pressure on you being subjected to this horrible event has been just enormous.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:05 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,002,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
At what point of the discussion did the lady make her political and religious affiliations and thoughts known to you?
She had "mannish" hair, clearly she was a Democrat, a lesbian Democrat or worse... a Catholic Nun!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 AM

15,474 posts, read 17,634,375 times
What a pompous twit. You should have hit her frail unarmored body with your 4,000 pounds of steel while you were having an important conversation, and, if she had a breath left in her body, she should have thanked you for it.

I don't like being scolded by condescending liberals any more than anyone else, but I do think they have the right not to be killed by inattentive drivers.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 AM

22,389 posts, read 11,525,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Other moral outrages:

The ending of Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Yes, funniest movie of all-time with a totally unsatisfying ending.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 AM

5,666 posts, read 4,358,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
She had "mannish" hair, clearly she was a Democrat, a lesbian Democrat or worse... a Catholic Nun!
Ohhhhhh.... Could you please tell me which of the two images might most closely resemble WesternPilgrim's view of what would be the ultimate liberal insult in bike form?

Last edited by Baldrick; 09-17-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 09:45 AM

10,005 posts, read 8,993,200 times
Quote:
Thanks, Randomstudent. I assume that you are even more outraged at the sight of drivers munching on cheeseburgers than at drivers talking on cell phones. And I assume that you don't drink soda, coffee, or water while driving, either, as that appears to be even more dangerous than drunk driving at 0.08 BAC. If so, kudos for attempting consistency.
I tend not to drink soda because I don't think it is particularly healthy and I rarely have coffee. I also tend not to drink water while driving except when at a stop light because it is distracting. Its called personal responsibility.

If you want to do dangerous things on the road that are legal that is your business, but it is telling about your lack of personal responsibility when blame other people for the driving mistakes you make when you do so.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:47 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,797,502 times
I don't eat or drink when I'm driving, and my phone goes in the back seat on mute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies