U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM

10,322 posts, read 11,247,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $16,000,000,000,000+ View Post
The total debt the wild spending idiots in Washington accumulated on my behalf now totals $136,260. The same goes for every household in the country. While I don't remember requesting them to put money on my credit card, the bill is there. I'm tired of having this weight on my shoulders. I'd like to pay it off. How do I go about paying off my balance and canceling the card?
Good question. Let's hold off until you tell us how you're going to go about paying off your debt to your ancestors for giving you all the benefits of this great country and defending you against our enemies over more than two centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,138,026 times
Quote:
The total debt the wild spending idiots in Washington accumulated on my behalf now totals $136,260. The same goes for every household in the country. While I don't remember requesting them to put money on my credit card, the bill is there. I'm tired of having this weight on my shoulders. I'd like to pay it off. How do I go about paying off my balance and canceling the card?
But it didn't stop you from enjoying all the stuff that the money spent on.

So how do you pay off your balance, first by paying the amount of taxes that buys all that stuff... you know like clean air, clean water, medical research, safe food, consumer and workplace safety, educating your children or the children of others who will wait on you, or work for you.

And before you start arguing that you don't get or want that stuff, I suggest reading this month's edition of:

Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM

3,269 posts, read 3,012,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You've received services from that debt. So we are still going to have to pay for the services received.
A bloated military-industrial complex, entitlement and welfare benefits I didn't qualify for even when unemployed, and interest on the debt - which together constitute over 80% of government spending - hardly qualify as services received.

That being said, yes, I and everyone in this thread who pays taxes will have to pay for those things - but just because the government can impose its will, not because of any particular services received.

edit as to post above: ~20% isn't 0% - that slice of the federal government is well worth having - roads, schools, police, currency, consumer regulation, etc. are all Very Good Things. However just because we all benefit from paying for schools doesn't mean we all benefit from paying many times as much on welfare and misadventures in foreign wars and military procurement corruption.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 AM

628 posts, read 828,881 times
Isn't there still a line on the tax form where you can donate money to pay down the Federal debt? You could try that.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 AM

6,396 posts, read 4,415,088 times
Quote:
Very Carefully?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 AM

9,665 posts, read 8,673,232 times
If you don't want to deal with the debt, move to another country and adjust to a more humble lifestyle. You won't have everything that America might have, but you'll probably have access to food, water, shelter. You'd still be able to work a job and be able to have some comfort. Not all countries have such a high military/intelligence profile, nor do they need it. You'd be surprised how many countries out there are at peace time and aren't spending so much money fighting terrorists because the terrorists aren't hunting them. Not to mention there are plenty of countries which don't spend much on things like welfare.

Sure there will be stuff that you'll have downgrade on, things such as housing size, low density living, wages, or convenience but living will still be tolerable and you'd still be able to have a happy life, while at the same time not worrying whether or not your government is spending out of control.

I don't know how bad it would get elsewhere and in America if the American economy fails, but people aren't just going to perish because the economy got bad, many did survive the great depression by being self reliant and frugal.

Either way it's not that bad living in other countries, if you think that is one of your options due to the debt of this government.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:08 AM

2,532 posts, read 1,897,205 times
Who are you going to pay it to.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 AM

9,665 posts, read 8,673,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyHandjobs View Post
I agree in that Americans are very materialistic. You HAVE to have the McMansion ! You HAVE to have the luxury automobile!!
It s a joke and the keeping up with the jones' crowd is a miserable group of people.
They could care less about friendship, family, culture, and society.
You don't "HAVE TO" anything besides the basic needs for survival.
Americans want to have the McMansion and want the luxury automobile.

These wants are prioritized over financial health or over their friends and family.

The average american simply doesn't think about their actions very much, they act on impulse, which might not result in conditions that they would like to have the most.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:20 AM

2,945 posts, read 3,011,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
stolen from the natives and without roads~ police~firefighters~military

Apperently your vision of America~ just leave and leave our fine country alone!

ensure you leave behind everything your country already gave you~ including your education~what little of it you have
Ohh you are telling me there was no police, no firefighters and no military before big government?

What about the independent war? War of 1812?? Are they only in my head only? The school is lying to me all these years and they are really just fairy tails?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,358,727 times
Quote:
You pay by NOT voting Republican. The GOP is responsible for 75% of that debt. Starting with Reagan, every Republican Administration has saddled America with a huge national deficit. The only surplus ever enjoyed in our history was produced by a Democratic administration. Obama has already done more to reduce the national debt than bush did in his entire 8 years in office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or