U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 AM

3,843 posts, read 3,797,918 times

Advertisements

I love the Onion!!

Didn't Chuck Norris say something about 1000 years of darkness?

Obama: 'Help Us Destroy Jesus And Start A New Age Of Liberal Darkness' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

“My fellow Americans and godless infidels, I command you to join me as we cast an endless pall of far-left evil across the hills and valleys of our nation!” Obama bellowed from the stage, as thousands in attendance moaned in compliance and gyrated their hips and groins in a lascivious dance. “Together, as a barbarian people forged by the wicked flames of irreligiosity and united by visions of a liberal dystopia, we will rise up as one to scorch the earth with boundless amorality.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 AM

10,641 posts, read 6,037,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I love the Onion!!

Obama: 'Help Us Destroy Jesus And Start A New Age Of Liberal Darkness' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

“My fellow Americans and godless infidels, I command you to join me as we cast an endless pall of far-left evil across the hills and valleys of our nation!” Obama bellowed from the stage, as thousands in attendance moaned in compliance and gyrated their hips and groins in a lascivious dance. “Together, as a barbarian people forged by the wicked flames of irreligiosity and united by visions of a liberal dystopia, we will rise up as one to scorch the earth with boundless amorality.”
Oh, man, now you've done it. I know of at least a few right wingers here on C-D who continually fall for these satire pieces. No doubt several of them will start quoting this as "fact" in other threads all over the site. Of course, these are the same posters who think Chuck Norris is a credible source for ANYTHING, so that tells you all you need to know about them.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 AM

10,282 posts, read 11,174,268 times
Quote:
I love the Onion!!

Are you aware that The Onion is a humor publication and that this article is a satire on the unhinged beliefs of the extreme right wing?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Are you aware that The Onion is a humor publication and that this article is a satire on the unhinged beliefs of the extreme right wing?
Well aware. Are you aware that I was waiting, with baited breath, for someone to come here and A. think this was serious, and B. think I, or anyone rational, could think this was serious.

Thank you for satisfying me so early on.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,371,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oh, man, now you've done it. I know of at least a few right wingers here on C-D who continually fall for these satire pieces. No doubt several of them will start quoting this as "fact" in other threads all over the site. Of course, these are the same posters who think Chuck Norris is a credible source for ANYTHING, so that tells you all you need to know about them.
You mean like lefties believe Palin said she can see Russia from her house?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You mean like lefties believe Palin said she can see Russia from her house?
That one always amuses me, too stupid to know she never said that, it was actually Tina Fey on SNL who said it.

Palin on her insight into Russian Politics - YouTube

"Yes. Russia and Alaska are divided by the Bering Strait, which is about 55 miles at its narrowest point. In the middle of the Bering Strait are two small, sparsely populated islands: Big Diomede, which sits in Russian territory, and Little Diomede, which is part of the United States. At their closest, these two islands are a little less than two and a half miles apart, which means that, on a clear day, you can definitely see one from the other. The Diomede Islands are often blanketed by persistent fog, which makes visibility difficult. On a clear day, though, a person standing at sea level can see a little less than three miles across the ocean. You can see farther if you go higher—at the highest altitude on Little Diomede (919 feet), you can see for about 37 miles. (Between mid-December and mid-June, when the water between the two islands freezes, an intrepid explorer can just walk from one to the other.)"

"You can also see Russia from other points in Alaska. According to a New York Times article written in the waning years of the Cold War (when the Alaska-Siberia border was known as the "Ice Curtain"), if you stand on high ground on the tip of St. Lawrence Island—a larger Alaskan island in the Bering Sea, southwest of the Diomedes—you can see the Russian mainland, about 37 miles away. The same article claims that you can see Russia from the Tin City Air Force facility at Cape Prince of Wales, which is the westernmost point of the mainland Americas.The station chief at Tin City confirms that, for roughly half the year, you can see Siberian mountain ranges from the highest part of the facility."

Can you really see Russia from Alaska? - Slate Magazine

But this was meant to be facetious, not a serious debate.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 AM

46,054 posts, read 29,429,799 times
I thought Chuck Norris was gonna round house kick the camera after saying that. I do believe that man can officially check the box "lost it."

Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 AM

19,634 posts, read 12,398,417 times
Quote:
I love the Onion!!

HAHAHAHA...these guys are great...

You might scare the RWNJs, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies