Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,418 times

Advertisements

Ironic, these are the same sorts of people who say that others are trying to squash their opinions by bringing race into a discussion. You don't end a discussion by saying someone is "pulling the race card" either.

Started this thread because I pointed out that in the service industry in Manhattan there tends to be a lot of look-ism and the less diverse a staff is, the more money there is to be made in that bar/restaurant/lounge/nightclub. That's just a fact. The only place I know that has a majority minority waitstaff in Manhattan is TGI Friday's, and everyone knows no one makes any money there. Also if you are black and have natural hair, you can kiss a lot of opportunity to make money in the industry goodbye.

Saying race has something to do with anything isn't "pulling the race card". I know that's how ignorant people like to squash discussion about truths that make them uncomfortable but try harder.

Of course there are people who seem to think race is a factor in everything, but just by looking at the internet the biggest abuse of the "race card" is simply overuse of the expression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,684,227 times
Maybe there are attitude issues that pervades certain ethnic cultures that dont lend themselves well for face to face customer service?

Lose the attitude, be prepared to kiss ass or suck **** and you'll make a crap load of money and tips in the service industry.

Being easy on the eyes is a plus as well.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,328 times
Interesting. I hate when people call any dissent towards minorities "racist".

We see it here constantly. Anyone who disagrees with Obama is a racist. We don't dislike the man because of his politics, we dislike him because he's black. That's the narrative from the leftists here, each and every one of them.

I'll stop accusing them of playing the race card when they stop playing it.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:43 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,940 times
Way way wah

Quit using the race card. Most people tip on how well service is and price of meal. Lose the attitude first and foremost and lose the victimhood crap.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Maybe there are attitude issues that pervades certain ethnic cultures that dont lend themselves well for face to face customer service?
Nonsense on two levels. Firstly there are a ton of black people in customer service. I'm talking about the hospitality industry. Secondly, you're trying to say that the reason you won't see a ton of minorities working at places where there's money to be made in bars/lounges/nightclubs is because they all have attitudes???

Point made. Case rested.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
. Most people tip on how well service is and price of meal.
This has zippo to do with what I'm talking about, your reading comprehension skills need a good dusting.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Way way wah

Quit using the race card. Most people tip on how well service is and price of meal. Lose the attitude first and foremost and lose the victimhood crap.

This, exactly!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:51 AM

I have two jobs in the service industry. At one point I had to drop the third. Why? Because the only places I make money are the places I'm the only black person who works there. The more diverse a waitstaff the less money they're making. It's just a fact. The more money there is to be made, the more the hiring manager will have a preference for petite, female and white.

And here someone had the nerve to comment on how I wear my hair and how it's "wrong for my race". I wear my hair so I can keep a job in this industry. I'm not going to get a good paying job in this industry in this town with natural hair.

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Ironic, these are the same sorts of people who say that others are trying to squash their opinions by bringing race into a discussion. You don't end a discussion by saying someone is "pulling the race card" either.

Started this thread because I pointed out that in the service industry in Manhattan there tends to be a lot of look-ism and the less diverse a staff is, the more money there is to be made in that bar/restaurant/lounge/nightclub. That's just a fact. The only place I know that has a majority minority waitstaff in Manhattan is TGI Friday's, and everyone knows no one makes any money there. Also if you are black and have natural hair, you can kiss a lot of opportunity to make money in the industry goodbye.

Saying race has something to do with anything isn't "pulling the race card". I know that's how ignorant people like to squash discussion about truths that make them uncomfortable but try harder.

Of course there are people who seem to think race is a factor in everything, but just by looking at the internet the biggest abuse of the "race card" is simply overuse of the expression.

Where exactly are you getting your facts from?

29,407 posts, read 21,998,309 times
I'm sure a class action lawsuit will be coming suing all restraunts for not hiring natural haired minorities because they make more money by not hiring them. Any statistics to back up your theory or just your eating habits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies