Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:28 AM

3,528 posts, read 3,731,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
This thread is not about you or me.

And what you're saying makes no sense. The clientele at EVERYWHERE in Manhattan is majority white including at TGI Friday's. Period. But that's besides the point. Are you saying that white people in a metropolitan area would take affront to having a diverse wait staff or they can only handle being served by an all white staff? Ludicrous and offensive to white Americans.
Honestly, as someone who does not live in Manhattan, it was my understanding that Manhattan (New York in general) was one of the world's most international cities, so this is a new concept to me.

Are you in support of the fact that it is okay to say "a black business?" I hear that a lot. We need more funding for "black businesses." Or, as I've read in articles, "What is Mitt Romney going to do for black people?" It doesn't bother me to have a Pakistani restaurant, Asian-based beauty parlor that caters to women, or a movie with an all-black cast. It's just not okay for white people to do that. That's the issue with "pulling the race card," and people are sick of it. At some point, you have to "citizen-up" and either accept your lot, or make an effort to do more. You can still work to change and improve things in society, but to blame others is not helpful in the long run.

It's something that I've said on C-D before, but you are mentioning TGI Friday's as the only diverse place you referenced, although they don't make as much money there. For all of the negativity that big business receives, they are the leaders in hiring minorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

I'll be in Manhattan next week, I travel often. Lousy service is generally why people don't receive decent tips.
You need to go back to school for people who cannot read too good.

This thread is not about tipping. At all. If you had actually read this thread this is about the gazillionth time it's been reiterated. I have zero problem making 18-20% of my sales. At my job they record the percentages you make.

It's about the discrimination in hiring practices. Many girls with natural hair would make great tips, if they had the opportunity to get hired at places they'd make money.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:34 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Ironic, these are the same sorts of people who say that others are trying to squash their opinions by bringing race into a discussion. You don't end a discussion by saying someone is "pulling the race card" either.

Started this thread because I pointed out that in the service industry in Manhattan there tends to be a lot of look-ism and the less diverse a staff is, the more money there is to be made in that bar/restaurant/lounge/nightclub. That's just a fact. The only place I know that has a majority minority waitstaff in Manhattan is TGI Friday's, and everyone knows no one makes any money there. Also if you are black and have natural hair, you can kiss a lot of opportunity to make money in the industry goodbye.

Saying race has something to do with anything isn't "pulling the race card". I know that's how ignorant people like to squash discussion about truths that make them uncomfortable but try harder.

Of course there are people who seem to think race is a factor in everything, but just by looking at the internet the biggest abuse of the "race card" is simply overuse of the expression.
Why are you pulling the race card?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Of course there are people who seem to think race is a factor in everything, but just by looking at the internet the biggest abuse of the "race card" is simply overuse of the expression.
How should one express a dislike for the action of using race as an excuse for everything?

You dislike people saying "pulling the race card"; I dislike people using race to quantify every breath they take.

Last edited by steven_h; 09-07-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post

It's something that I've said on C-D before, but you are mentioning TGI Friday's as the only diverse place you referenced, although they don't make as much money there. For all of the negativity that big business receives, they are the leaders in hiring minorities.
You can replace TGI Friday's with any place that actually makes an effort towards diversity in the restaurant world. I laud them for that, because the restaurant industry is still very behind...but that doesn't mean I'm crazy enough to work there

I've actually planned to drop my resume at certain venues, walked in, saw the staff was diverse, and walked out. That's sad.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM

3,528 posts, read 3,731,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Okay. There may be truth to your contention that managers and owners like to hire folks who they consider nice looking.

I am in marketing and we constantly search for images of people of color to represent the diversity our companies believe matches their demographic. We rarely use images that have a majority of caucasians in them.

I think managers and owners tend to select wait staff that they feel represents the clientele they are trying to attract.
You've been in the business for 20 years. What year did this start to change? Just curious.

Quote:
You can replace TGI Friday's with any place that actually makes an effort towards diversity in the restaurant world. I laud them for that, because the restaurant industry is still very behind...but that doesn't mean I'm crazy enough to work there

I've actually planned to drop my resume at certain venues, walked in, saw the staff was diverse, and walked out. That's sad.
Possibly walked out on future opportunities, into management?

Old 09-07-2012, 11:37 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
A crappy personality 99.9% of the time is behind why someone earns lousy tips.
And bad service. My wife and I whom are both white ate out this weekend and this Hispanic waitress even though she seemed to speak English well totally screwed up our order. One of the regular waitresses came over because we eat there often and apologized for her and said she was new. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the new waitress crying a bit. I felt sorry for her and left her a larger tip than I usually do. As she apologized as we were leaving I just said don't worry about it you will do better next time.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

You dislike people saying "pulling the race card"; I dislike people using race to quantify every breath they take.
I dislike both, I just realize that people like you would realize that saying race has nothing to do with anything is just as retarded as saying that race has something to do with everything. Both equidistant ends on the retard scale.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Maybe people would stop using the expression pulling the race card if other people would quit pulling the race card?
Talk about illegal immigration and you are accused of being anti-brown skinned people.
Point out that the vast makority of illegals come from south of the border and you are accused of being anti-hispanic.
Point out that if blacks want to improve their situation then they need to start by looking within and you are a racist.
Didn't vote for Obama you must be a racist.
Disagree with Obama? racist.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:41 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
After looking over your pictures for the last 20 minutes, I have concluded that you shouldn't have any problem getting good tips, natural hair or not. I have also concluded that, regardless of your actually ability to perform your job, that you would still probably get tipped decently anyway.

Anyway, I haven't seen or noticed this trend to be based on race. Now, I don't know what it is exactly that your service job entails could you elaborate on that. Also, if the job field you are in focuses on looks and is high end, then maybe the patrons prefer a certain look and the establishment is obliged accommodate them. Does it make them racist? I don't think so. Discriminating, yes. But not racist. For example if I get a massage (a completely legal one at a spa), and I get a choice between a man or a woman, I'm going to pick a woman over the man regardless of how brutish she looks.

But outside of this particular subject, yes the phrase "pulling the race card" is highly abused. Surprisingly, it more abused than actually pulling the race card.
Nope, it's the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies