Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:57 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times

Advertisements

Many of the anti-choice crowd believe that life begins at conception and not at birth. Let's say we take this premise as true - which brings up a few questions for me.

Does that mean that the child acquires citizenship at conception? After all, if life begins at conception rather than birth, shouldn't the "child" then be bestowed with all the normal rights that we currently bestow at birth?

Is citizenship bestowed based on the place of conception? Currently, some nations grant citizenship based on the location of the birth. If you are born in the US, then you are a US citizen. Since life now beings at conception, is citizenship a matter of the place of conception? Take my own daughter: I am a EU citizen, my wife is a US citizen, my daughter was born in Costa Rica. Consequently, my daughter has three citizenships (and passports): EU, US, and Costa Rican. However, she was conceived in Nicaragua - does that mean that she would also be entitled to a Nicaraguan passport?

If so, how do you prove that she was actually conceived in Nicaragua?

After the birth of a child, I can apply for a passport for the kid. In order to do so, I submit a passport photo - which is kind of pointless because the passport is valid for a number of years and frankly, by the time my kid is three years old, she doesn't look anything like she did at the age of three months. Alas, passports, by law, need to have a photo in them.

When I now apply for a passport for my unborn child, is is sufficient (or necessary) to submit a picture of the ultrasound?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Life beginning at conception is a pretty dumb idea

So is the idea of life beginning at birth

Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
You mean there are still people who believe in legal documentation. Geeze, what kind of liberal are you?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Of course an individual human life begins at conception. That does not mean you can't kill it. What does politics have to do with biology?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:04 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Life begins at 60! (or, at least, so I am hoping as I draw ever nearer)

Old 09-07-2012, 10:05 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Of course an individual human life begins at conception. That does not mean you can't kill it.
A single cell is a human life?

My god, earth's population just on my body is like 50 trillion.

Last edited by filihok; 09-07-2012 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: added the word 'is'

Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
The ultrasound photo should do it. Also, don't forget to file for a tax deduction after you pee on the stick and find out you're pregnant. And why do we celebrate birthdays instead of conception days...if life truly does start at conception? Call Hallmark. We need Happy Conception Day cards.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Many of the anti-choice crowd believe that life begins at conception and not at birth. Let's say we take this premise as true - which brings up a few questions for me.

Does that mean that the child acquires citizenship at conception? After all, if life begins at conception rather than birth, shouldn't the "child" then be bestowed with all the normal rights that we currently bestow at birth?

Is citizenship bestowed based on the place of conception? Currently, some nations grant citizenship based on the location of the birth. If you are born in the US, then you are a US citizen. Since life now beings at conception, is citizenship a matter of the place of conception? Take my own daughter: I am a EU citizen, my wife is a US citizen, my daughter was born in Costa Rica. Consequently, my daughter has three citizenships (and passports): EU, US, and Costa Rican. However, she was conceived in Nicaragua - does that mean that she would also be entitled to a Nicaraguan passport?

If so, how do you prove that she was actually conceived in Nicaragua?

After the birth of a child, I can apply for a passport for the kid. In order to do so, I submit a passport photo - which is kind of pointless because the passport is valid for a number of years and frankly, by the time my kid is three years old, she doesn't look anything like she did at the age of three months. Alas, passports, by law, need to have a photo in them.

When I now apply for a passport for my unborn child, is is sufficient (or necessary) to submit a picture of the ultrasound?
So are you saying that legal citizenship determines whether or not the fetus should be considered human life? Right to life isn't given by citizenship, it's given by our Creator per our founding documents and is one of the inalienable rights given to all human kind.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
A single cell is a human life?

My god, earth's population just on my body like 50 trillion.
It won't end up being a chicken.

Yes, it is the first stage of a developing human being. Basic 8th grade biology.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb Life begins at conception

Here's another logical/intellectual pitfall for this claim...

If you insist on life beginning at conception, then your all-knowing, all-powerful diety is the world's leading abortionist.

By far...

It is estimated that up to half of all fertilized eggs die and are lost (aborted) spontaneously, usually before the woman knows she is pregnant. Among those women who know they are pregnant, the miscarriage rate is about 15-20%. Most miscarriages occur during the first 7 weeks of pregnancy.

Miscarriage: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies