U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 AM

26,629 posts, read 11,160,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
How about a little rebranding?

Something like "Pro-Prebirth©" because it seems that about the only part of life that they seem to give a damn about is that period between conception and birth.
It's not about caring, it's about control. We own you and we get to turn off the switch.

If one believes they can take the life of another when their life is not threatened then life looses value. We don't own each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 12:26 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,188,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I have no idea whether you're trying to stop me from choosing what I or anyone else wants to do. If you support mandatory seat belt laws, forced purchase of health insurance, anti-discrimination laws, no smoking in public [and some private] places, or hundreds of other restrictions, you're trying to stop someone from choosing.
Yes - if "pro-life" is a misnomer because of "pro-life" people's stances on issues other than abortion, then "pro-choice" is as well.

To be fair, everyone is "anti-choice" on some things.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 PM

5,037 posts, read 4,347,846 times
I find it disturbing and despicable to see people using "choice" and "my body" to argue for killing and the denial of a chance. These people never talk about the lives they are denying. They never talk about what if it had been them.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM

13,792 posts, read 14,606,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Except for rape yes.

If you let a man put his ding dong in your ho ho and neither of you are protected then ultimately it rests with the woman as she is the one that gets pregnant. That's the Pro-Abortionists argument: her body her choice the man has nothing to say about it, it's all her responsibility.
how old are you? can't use the words sex?

Quote:
Sorry you lose. Responsibilty happens before conception. After conception its all about damage control.
taking responsibility is subjective. many people think abortion is the responsible thing to do.

Quote:
Who stated anything about rape. Only you. Dont be intellectually dishonest. If you read that post then you read the one I post right before it that addressed your issue of rape. I'm not describing the less that 5% of women who get pregnant and need to abort for medical life issues. I am strictly speaking about abortions used as birth control which is about 90% of all abortions performed in the US give or take a few percentage points. THAT is a personal responsibility issue plain and simple.
your objections to abortion is subjective. should we all live my your moral values?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I find it disturbing and despicable to see people using "choice" and "my body" to argue for killing and the denial of a chance. These people never talk about the lives they are denying. They never talk about what if it had been them.
the whys of an abortion are private, doesn't matter if you agree or not. how a woman feels about her choice is hers alone. none of your business. the "life" taken is potential life again subjective to it's potential. not your business unless it is your choice to make

Old 09-09-2012, 02:05 PM

11,349 posts, read 8,386,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
This endless confrontation regarding abortion that will never be resolved to anyone's satisfaction.

Why don't we citizens of the USA define when it's ok to kill children? At what age is it not ok to kill kids?

We kill plenty in war and call it collateral damage. We let them starve in 3rd. world countries every day. In my state people bitc- all the time about poor Mexican women coming to Houston for medical care. Shall we let the babies die if the moms aren't citizens?

When will the church spend it's fortune to alleviate suffering? The nuns who were tending to the least of these got told to sit down and shut up. I heard one compare their notice from Rome as a hostile takeover.

Can we just make a list of when and at what age it is ok to let kids die.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,020,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
An unborn child is not a child, it is a fetus - you know a clump of cells. For it to be a child it would have to be developed to the stage it could survive if delivered, albeit prematurely. I am not suggesting that abortions should be allowed up to just before natural birth would take place - the time frame etc. is up to medical professionals.

Regardless a woman in front of me always has the right to choose what to do with her body, regardless of what I think of her choice. What's next forcing pregnant women to eat only healthy food, not drink or smoke? After all they can also impact fetal development.
I appreciate your attempt but you have not addressed my questions, merely shot them down with the old clump of cells scenerio which is very inappropriate. Consider this, a quadrapalegic cannot take care of themselves yet thay are afforded human status and allowed rights, and I mean no disrespect to the handicaped.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,673,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
How about a little rebranding?

Something like "Pro-Prebirth©" because it seems that about the only part of life that they seem to give a damn about is that period between conception and birth.
Where do people get this from? Do you think pro-lifers go around killing people AFTER they're born? I'm pro-life at all stages. I don't think I have the right to take another person's life. It's not mine to take. It's theirs.

The focus is on the period between conception and birth because that's the time period when it's legal to kill humans. Once born, the law protects them.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
An unborn child is not a child, it is a fetus - you know a clump of cells. For it to be a child it would have to be developed to the stage it could survive if delivered, albeit prematurely. I am not suggesting that abortions should be allowed up to just before natural birth would take place - the time frame etc. is up to medical professionals.

Regardless a woman in front of me always has the right to choose what to do with her body, regardless of what I think of her choice. What's next forcing pregnant women to eat only healthy food, not drink or smoke? After all they can also impact fetal development.
If your mother had chosen to destroy the clump of cells that once was you, would you be here? Or would you have been destroyed.

Embryo and fetus are just stages of human development. Every one of us was once and embryo and a fetus. The only difference between us then and us now is time, oxygen and nutrition. Given time, oxygen and food that clump of cells will become a person. If only food, water and oxygen are needed for growth, that is life. If that life becomes a human in time, it is a human. It's just a human in its most vulnerable form.

What are we if we kill our own race when it is most vulnerable just because it is vulnerable?

Pregnancy is not a permanent condition. It's a self correcting condition. Wait 9 months and you'll no longer be pregnant. You don't even have to keep the baby.

Seriously, if a human life isn't worth 9 months of inconvenience , what is it worth?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not about caring, it's about control. We own you and we get to turn off the switch.

If one believes they can take the life of another when their life is not threatened then life looses value. We don't own each other.
Either life has value or it doesn't. To say it is ok to kill just because one is vulnerable and weak and needs someone else to survive is to go down a slippery slope.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:55 PM

5,280 posts, read 3,487,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If your mother had chosen to destroy the clump of cells that once was you, would you be here? Or would you have been destroyed.

Embryo and fetus are just stages of human development. Every one of us was once and embryo and a fetus. The only difference between us then and us now is time, oxygen and nutrition. Given time, oxygen and food that clump of cells will become a person. If only food, water and oxygen are needed for growth, that is life. If that life becomes a human in time, it is a human. It's just a human in its most vulnerable form.

What are we if we kill our own race when it is most vulnerable just because it is vulnerable?

Pregnancy is not a permanent condition. It's a self correcting condition. Wait 9 months and you'll no longer be pregnant. You don't even have to keep the baby.

Seriously, if a human life isn't worth 9 months of inconvenience , what is it worth?
Since the chap the other day was not up for the challenge, are you willing to logically extend your position that "potentiality" of personhood should confer similar or equal rights to that of those already born? You do recognize that once you open the box of potentiality, we must go back prior to conception, correct? I mean, surely you recognize that the process of creating "potential" human beings started before conception, correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies