Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,740,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Simple question for the right wingers here.

Why is the Right so adamantly afraid that Obama will legalize weed, when alcohol and smoking are incalculably more dangerous and still legal?

How is the War on Drugs any different from Prohibition?

The question you should be asking is why lefties (presumably you) continue to restrict smoking and drinking, yet support easy access to pot...while people like me don't give a fig what people are drinking or blowing on their own time.

Allow me: the lefties are the control freaks. In other words, don't be screaming "I gotta have my weed!! in front of me; I won't stop you. Yeesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 12:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,526,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Because we have two bad things doesn't mean we need an even worse third one.
If you are starting a movement to stop smoking and alcohol, let us know.h
Why is marijuana worse to use than alcohol and tobacco? Have you smoked a lot of marijuana as well as smoked and drank a lot, so you know quite well from first hand experience?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

However, if that is what you want- go for it. Pot is a very dirty drug and poses many of the same risks that cigarette smoking poses to the population.
Who do you know who died from lung cancer caused by smoking pot every day? The worst ailment that can happen to people who smoke pot is they come down with bronchitis. This is a much easier illness to treat than lung cancer brought on my smoking tobacco.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
Americans Consume 80 Percent Of the World's Painkillers - Business Insider

lots of corrupt doctors out there doping up the population.. pot is safer than this crap that most people are getting addicted to..
But a lot of people think pain killers are much safer to use than marijuana, because pain killers are legal and prescribed by doctors.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:47 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,912,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post
It's about the money for conservative Republican politicians, sure.

For their sheep, it's about abject stupidity. Low IQ's. Nothing more.
The one thing that is correct is that it is ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. Where you are misinformed is that it isn't just CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN POLITICIANS. We have had a number of Democrat presidents including this one who had a democrat congress. Was anything changed? It is still against federal law to have, buy or sell marijuana. Democrats like money too. Prohibition of marijuana is no different than the prohibition of alcohol was. It's the animal politics that keeps it illegal and it doesn't have a political party.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:59 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,853,571 times
Read up on the tremendous role that Tobacco has played throughout history and you may better understand it. In fact, this country owes it's very existence to the tobacco plant.

Likewise, read up on the history of racism in this country to understand why drugs like marijuana are illegal. Race played a big role in that.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:03 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,433,845 times
IMO, when we work the bugs out of legalized alcohol we can move on to legalizing the next drug. Until then, one legal drug is one too many. The fact we have been unable to deal with the issues of legal alcohol is enough to let us know that we don't need to be legalizing anything else. Legalizing alcohol did not work neither will legalizing anything else.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:15 AM

37,754 posts, read 40,844,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Instead of asking this question and getting an incomplete answer, why not do the research yourself? Then you will not only know the answer, you'll have the sources of the answer, so you can judge bias.
"That whiff of pot that drifts your way at a rock concert or outdoor event could damage your heart and blood vessels as much as secondhand cigarette smoke does, preliminary research suggests. Blood vessel function in laboratory rats dropped by 70 percent after a half-hour of exposure to secondhand marijuana smoke -- similar to results found with secondhand tobacco smoke, researchers from the University of California, San Francisco reported Sunday. "Smoke is smoke. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke impair blood vessel function similarly," said study senior author Matthew Springer, a cardiovascular researcher and associate professor of medicine in the university's cardiology division. 'People should avoid both, and governments who are protecting people against secondhand smoke exposure should include marijuana in those rules.'"

​Hazards of secondhand marijuana smoke - CBS News

I live in an apartment. In every apartment building I've ever lived in, the smell of cigarette smoke comes through the walls. Driving smokers indoors does me no good. Like I said, I don't care if you eat it.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:40 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,853,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"That whiff of pot that drifts your way at a rock concert or outdoor event could damage your heart and blood vessels as much as secondhand cigarette smoke does, preliminary research suggests. Blood vessel function in laboratory rats dropped by 70 percent after a half-hour of exposure to secondhand marijuana smoke -- similar to results found with secondhand tobacco smoke, researchers from the University of California, San Francisco reported Sunday. "Smoke is smoke. Both tobacco and marijuana smoke impair blood vessel function similarly," said study senior author Matthew Springer, a cardiovascular researcher and associate professor of medicine in the university's cardiology division. 'People should avoid both, and governments who are protecting people against secondhand smoke exposure should include marijuana in those rules.'"

​Hazards of secondhand marijuana smoke - CBS News

I live in an apartment. In every apartment building I've ever lived in, the smell of cigarette smoke comes through the walls. Driving smokers indoors does me no good. Like I said, I don't care if you eat it.
Pack of lies if ever there were one.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 AM

20,261 posts, read 14,495,305 times
Actually I disagree with you on one point there, WhipperSnapper... The odors (if not the actual SMOKE that can potentially cause whatever harm it may or may not cause), the FUNK of tobacco or pot smoke does permeate walls, halls, etc in apartment buildings.

I don't know that it's a hazard, and I don't blindly believe any study until I get the lowdown on who paid for the research, BUT as a nuisance and an unwanted smell...yeah. Sure.

And pungent odors outdoors are a nuisance to neighbors and passers by perhaps.

I'm a smoker and a supporter of legal weed, but I'm not inconsiderate. I do think that this particular problem should be tackled. I don't complain about the "50 feet from the entrance" rules, I would be supportive of the idea of air purifiers being sold to clean smoke polluted air so that non smokers need not breathe it.

Of course on that same note there are many air pollutants that humanity generates that I feel we should be working to reduce and/or eliminate.

I think the shift towards vaping (tobacco/pot) and edibles (pot) is all to the good. Maybe as more states legalize, and more production can happen, we get some nice regulated best practices in the manufacture of edibles, oils, and other products, and some economy of scale, this will only increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies