Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,171,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Maybe one day, you'll realize that the mere status of being rich is not condemned by the Left, but rather the unwillingness to accept social responsibility and reciprocate some of that wealth to society.
How much did Romney give to charity when he gave his entire inherited fortune to charity? Surely you leaners know that number. I do wonder if any of those listed in that list have ever given so much to charity. I seriously doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,815,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How much did Romney give to charity when he gave his entire inherited fortune to charity? Surely you leaners know that number. I do wonder if any of those listed in that list have ever given so much to charity. I seriously doubt it.
It does not count unless you give it to government.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:32 PM

387 posts, read 1,043,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Really? How many prominent wealthy conservatives do you know outside of movies and television shows? Is it their attitude (of a person you never met nor spoke with), or is it your attitude towards them based upon your and their politics?
You don't know me or my politics.

I am basing my observations on what has been stated by prominent conservative politicians and pundits. Some of the most contemptuous language toward the poor and middle class I have ever heard. I do not know what has infected the Republican party but it's not the one I used to know. There is a widespread meme that the poor are that way because they are lazy. However, I have known many poor people in my life and all of them had jobs, sometimes more than one, and took pride in hard work. The only person I know that has been on government benefits for half his life is my own father, who ironically drinks the Fox news koolaid and sits around bitching about all the people sucking on the government tit.

There is absolutely no recognition by prominent conservatives that the large majority of the poor DO work. Many of them, despite having jobs, still need government aid because their employers, while making billions at the top, do not pay a living wage. Walmart is a prime example.

It is much easier to demonize the poor than to actually recognize the problem and try to do something about it.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,138,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
You get your ass handed to you, then try to turn it around and make it look like that was your intent? What are you, 9 years old?
Excellent display of liberal intelligence....

Do you REALLY believe people don't post here just to see what reaction they will get from the usual group on both sides who foam at the mouth at anything that hints at being derogatory to their side?

Get real....

Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 PM

387 posts, read 1,043,311 times
Quote:
Silly. Do you really believe that B.S.? Where's the proof? Just because Romney said he did that doesn't make it true.

Do you know how much he inherited? Do you know what charity he gave it to? How can you be so blind as to take a man's word for something when he refuses to release his tax returns?

Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,277,255 times
Quote:
Doesn't count when you give it to your church to build more buildings and to do more recruiting into the faith.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM

15,913 posts, read 20,138,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
Silly. Do you really believe that B.S.? Where's the proof? Just because Romney said he did that doesn't make it true.

Do you know how much he inherited? Do you know what charity he gave it to? How can you be so blind as to take a man's word for something when he refuses to release his tax returns?
Please do some research before putting your foot in your mouth.....

An Inside Look At The Millions Mitt Romney Has Given Away - Forbes

Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 PM

645 posts, read 986,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
That's because you, like other silly conservatives, don't realize that liberals don't begrudge monetary success. The people you listed support higher tax rates on their own social class. "The 1%" is also a mindset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Maybe one day, you'll realize that the mere status of being rich is not condemned by the Left, but rather the unwillingness to accept social responsibility and reciprocate some of that wealth to society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
It's really all about attitude. Prominent wealthy conservatives seem to have a "I've got mine, screw the rest of you" attitude. It manifests as contempt for the poor and even middle class.
Hello, good folks. May I present to you, Exhibit A...Ms. Nancy Pelosi. Selfless warrior for the masses. A shining example of social responsibility and reciprocity. There's no "I've got mine, screw the rest of you" attitude here. I'm certain she and her husband gave all the proceeds of their rather serendipitous stock trades to the poor and needy.

New details on Visa's attempt to influence Pelosi - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Of course, it's obvious that Ms. Pelosi is a total aberration amongst the sea of entirely charitable, ethical, and socially responsible Democrats/Liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies