U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 03:06 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,660,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do we have to AGREE with and/or applaud her to be considered "adult?"
Yes.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:07 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,621,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Well, I just contributed $100 to PP earmarked for abortion services in the screen name of the OP.
Is your nose growing???

Old 09-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
AWESOME!

I can't go for a hundred, but by golly, what a wonderful idea!

Monday is pay day and I can most certainly donate something.

Did you do that on-line?

What a wonderful idea! For anybody who can even donate $5.00 or $10.00, in the OP's screen name, are you in?

Then she can "cry" and "not eat" for all the fetuses that are being aborted......in her name.
If you knew how sick this really sounds you may not have typed it!!!

Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Well, it is kind of hard to take you people seriously

Quote:
How are people not being adult about this? I think the thread is relatively civilized (esp for an abortion topic), but I've only read about 4-5 pages thus far. Do we have to AGREE with and/or applaud her to be considered "adult?"

Some of the comments from "adults" borderline elementary school You are speaking to a teenager....

Old 09-08-2012, 03:23 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,660,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
If you knew how sick this really sounds you may not have typed it!!!
The fact that you chose to comment on what I posted (calling it "sick"), but chose to not comment on the following two posts speaks volumes about your character:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Most unwanted fetuses will end up voting Democrat if allowed to live. I say chop up as many as you can before they get out of the womb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Not a bad suggestion, at all. We surely don't need too many more of that kind of people.
Pretty selective about your outrage, I would say.

Conservative, thy name is HYPOCRITE.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:28 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,915,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is it possible that many of those women could afford to keep the baby and raise it? Now watch out when you say no because too many of them are professional women who sure can do that. If so many of that kind can take care of their kids surely those who take the easy out can make it.
It is possible, but certainly not the norm.

Quote:
My first wife was one of those who had an abortion in the back alley, second floor place in 1960 and she never did fully recover from what she considered murder. She had just started to college and would never have finished if she had to support a baby from a one nighter. I was always glad she did had the abortion because I never would have met her when teaching in the same school, 4 years later. Poor woman is now 70 years old and still not able to accept what she did. I suppose she is the only one that ever turned out like that, though.
No, she's not the only one I'm sure - but she is also not representative of ALL women who have abortions, since I could tell five+ stories for your one, where the woman recovered just fine physically and emotionally. I can also tell you about my mother's college roommate, who almost died from a botched back-alley abortion... she's the main reason my mother is pro-choice, as the vision of her roommate bleeding almost to death scarred her more than any pro-life "dead baby" propaganda photos.

Regardless, our story swapping means little in the debate over legal abortions. Some people regret not going to college, so should we make it mandatory for all Americans? Some people also regret marrying young, so again should we make that a law (no marrying before 25ish?)? People should be free to make these choices themselves, and hopefully they will consider the potential consequences before doing anything.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-08-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 03:31 PM

628 posts, read 825,571 times
Women's reactions to having an abortion vary from deep guilt to profound relief (and everywhere in between) and these reactions probably are directly related to whether the woman has a moral or emotional problem with abortion or not in the first place.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM

489 posts, read 528,777 times
Quote:
Maybe I confused you with another poster, but I specifically remember a post saying "for a white, healthy, non-addicted baby." If that wasn't you, I do apologize - but my comments are relevant to those who feel this way.

No, it was me, but it was taken out of context. What I said was that most people are wanting a white, healthy infant, and so those are the ones who are adopted first. Minorities and special needs infants are a bit harder to place, but still almost always do get placed. Someone then accused me of only wanting a white healthy child. So, I wrote another post saying that race did not matter to us, and we would consider the special needs that I thought I could handle and afford.

I would LOVE to, but I doubt they'd approve a 35yo single woman with a full-time job, who lives in a 1-bedroom apartment and barely earns enough to make rent.

If and when I am in a more stable position, I will certainly be looking into adopting an older child (particularly minority) in foster care. My mother used to volunteer at a group home around here, and was applying to foster one child before health concerns stood in her way... I was inspired by her work with them, which is when I started thinking about doing that myself in time.

That is awesome that your mom volunteered with foster kids. I had a bunch of volunteers that I oversaw at one time, and I worked with the adolescent foster population for many years. Many of those kids do well and will bloom if given a stable home.....i saw it many times . Also, we did have single foster moms, and even single women who adopted. You might be surprise at what the State will approve. You would get a stipend that would help you provide for a young person living with you. One situation that i can think of turned out amazingly well. I have kept in contact with the young lady who was adopted, and she is now successfully raising little ones, and is married to a good man. I applaud you for wanting to do this important work, and I hope you do get to adopt someday!

Yes, thanks. But my comments weren't only about you specifically, although I was using you as an example... they were more general in nature, and still apply to the VAST majority of potential adopters who only want a "perfect" white baby. Do you have any stats on how many older, non-white, non-healthy children are currently awaiting homes? I could look it up, if you don't have any sources on hand.
I don't, but I can tell you that I have been on a lot of Adoption message boards, and from what I have been able to gather ( and also from my time working in group homes), if a child is "adoptable" , meaning that parental rights have been severed ( that's a whole other thread!!) and not so behaviorally challenged that he/ she can not function well in a regular home environment, they can many times be placed, and even adopted. Many who are in group homes/ mental health facilities till they age out are 1. Still legally bound to dead beat and criminal parents, and so are not eligible to be adopted, or 2. They are emotionally disturbed and behaviorally a risk to themselves and others, and so need something more like a group home environment, where they can be monitored more closely. The sad truth is that by the time a child hits adolescence, it gets tougher and tougher to acclimate to being a part of another family. That's why I don't believe in giving abusive, criminal parents, or mentally ill parents, etc. , chance after chance, for so many years, until the child's life is ruined.

There are still older kids who will thrive in a home environment, and so, If I could, I would encourage you to not be discouraged by the stats, and be open to possibly parenting one of these kids! I wish you all the best!

Last edited by CAHomeschoolMom; 09-08-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM

679 posts, read 568,624 times
If you act like a religious lunatic, expect to be treated as one.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
The fact that you chose to comment on what I posted (calling it "sick"), but chose to not comment on the following two posts speaks volumes about your character:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I have to wonder how much of your x-wive's guilt comes from the constant drumbeat of people like the OP and yourself getting into other people's personal business and lady parts and declaring them "murderers". If, after all these years, she still can't accept what she did and forgive herself, then she needed some professional help years ago....back when you two were still married. Did you see that she got some?

Quote:
That is true, and generally I do respect the OP for her convictions & maturity... but like ANY teenager, she still has a lot to learn.

HMMM,these following posts were no where near sick!!! Wayland Women was speaking to Roy........and Gizmo really didn't say anything sick...........

Your post speaks volumes of what you think of unborn babies and still not seeing how sick your post was............Every women has the right to have an abortion, but every women should know unprotected sex causes babies. In this day and age we should have less pregnancies, which would lead to less abortions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies