U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 07:51 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,531,101 times

Advertisements

Gay Veteran talks to Mitt Romney - ABC News - YouTube

Two initial thoughts:

1. ZOMG Romney is so awkward. I actually feel really awful for him in moments like these. God, it is going to be so painful if he is elected.

2. At least his latest programming update didn't malfunction and he was straight with the guy. No hedging or wavering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 AM

8,151 posts, read 5,584,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post

Gay Veteran talks to Mitt Romney - ABC News - YouTube

Two initial thoughts:

1. ZOMG Romney is so awkward. I actually feel really awful for him in moments like these. God, it is going to be so painful if he is elected.

2. At least his latest programming update didn't malfunction and he was straight with the guy. No hedging or wavering.
The big tent party

Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 AM

9,243 posts, read 23,368,281 times
I saw no awkwardness whatsoever in Romney. He stated his views and the other guy didn't like it. He's entitled to not like the answer he got, but I would also say to that man that nowhere in the constitution does it say anything about gay marriage rights or even things about gay lifestyles. That man is old enough to know that not everyone will agree with him, nor should they be forced to.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 AM

1,347 posts, read 919,586 times
That was a very respectful exchange. They disagreed on the issue and went their ways. Obviously the man was very angry so I give him props for maintaining his level of civility. He needs to understand though that Romney gave him his answer, they disagreed, and someone running for president doesn't have time to sit around all day and talk philosophically about the issues with one voter.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,700,807 times
This video is old....

Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 AM

22,608 posts, read 16,120,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I saw no awkwardness whatsoever in Romney. He stated his views and the other guy didn't like it. He's entitled to not like the answer he got, but I would also say to that man that nowhere in the constitution does it say anything about gay marriage rights or even things about gay lifestyles. That man is old enough to know that not everyone will agree with him, nor should they be forced to.
Does it say anything about any kind of marriage? Don't think so.
I do recall something about the pursuit of happiness though.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:01 AM

21,603 posts, read 11,032,632 times
Romney didn't skirt it or bob or weave it. Wow. This gay man is bold and hateful at the end. Romney is clear on where he stands.. unlike Obama who moves all over the place on the issues including marriage.. Obama has no core of principles. At least with Romney he is clear on his platform. God Bless Mitt Romney.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 AM

29,272 posts, read 39,516,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Yes it does:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws".

Every court of significance that has heard gay marriage cases has ruled in favor of gay marriage, because it finds that there is no compelling public purpose to deny the privilege of marriage and equality under law to persons of the same sex. The Supreme Court will so rule in the coming year or so and this issue will be put to rest (about as much as abortion, I suppose).

Old 09-08-2012, 09:16 AM

9,243 posts, read 23,368,281 times
Equal protection of the laws.... So civil unions that would cover legal issues such as estates and benefits don't count? It still doesn't say "marriage" and that there should be a law for it. I can see how it can be open to interpretation by the sitting government though. That also applies to gun ownership, Miranda rights, vsearch and seizures, unusual punishments, land and property ownership.....

Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 AM

12,359 posts, read 7,700,345 times
Thank you for sharing that. What the guy said after Romney left the table was powerful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Romney didn't skirt it or bob or weave it. Wow. This gay man is bold and hateful at the end. Romney is clear on where he stands.. unlike Obama who moves all over the place on the issues including marriage.. Obama has no core of principles. At least with Romney he is clear on his platform. God Bless Mitt Romney.
What was so "hateful" and "bold"? The man was very respectful of Mitt when he was talking to him and afterward he expressed his true feelings about Mitt's answer. What was he suppose to do, lie and say he was pleased with Mitt's stand on gay marriage when it affects every aspect of his life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or