U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:07 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,159 posts, read 34,680,382 times
Reputation: 16292

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I was thinking about this today. I have never met a really upbeat, positive, happy go luck atheist. Almost every one that I have encountered is doom and gloom, extremely cynical and generally miserable. Has anyone ever met a really happy atheist? If so, tell me about him/her. Thanks
I'm a very joyful and positive person. If I am cynical at times, it's because I know human nature. Such as with 7 billion people already on this planet, it obviously would be for the best to make everyone pull together to try for negative population growth. But no, most people are selfish and will insist on producing babies that the planet doesn't need.

But still, I am a very happy person in regards to the quality of MY life. I don't have children, I am in good health, I have the love of my bf and pets. I love driving my manual transmission car and collecting antiques. I am really good at my job and also really good at finding antiques. Today the weather is beautiful as I sit in my house by a river. What's to be sad about??

 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:08 PM
 
3,402 posts, read 4,318,199 times
Reputation: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And for an example of joyful atheists..

I just got back from a week long adventure therapy retreat for young adult cancer survivors ranging in ages from 21 to 39. We talked a lot about spirituality during the trip, and most of us were atheists or agnostics. The one Christian kept telling us that if we had believed in Jesus, we wouldn't have had so many struggles. It was rude and uncalled for. The rest of us had a blast. We had nicknames throughout the camp - one woman referred to herself as "Nips" because her nipples were removed during a double mastectomy in her early 30s. Another woman called herself "Button" because her self-described perfect bellybutton was removed during an emergency c-section and surgery when it was discovered that she had advanced ovarian cancer during the 3rd trimester of her pregnancy.

But last week, I called one of the guys who was on the trip to wish him a happy 22nd birthday. He is an above-the-knee amputee who has been fighting cancer since he was 16. Flaming atheist the entire time, mind you. He told me during this phone call that his cancer has returned for the 6th time. Without missing a beat, he told me, "The good news is, my doctors said this can only happen 3 more times" (referring to the 3 limbs he has left to amputate). Within moments he was planning a surfing trip with me for the people on our program.

That's true joy and love of life.
Iv' often thought atheists maybe enjoy life more because to them it is all there is without certainty of whats next.
 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,854,418 times
Reputation: 11319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I have heard atheists say this before and it makes absolutely no sense. You accuse religious people of making unprovable claims yet you defend your own claims that are equally unprovable and hold yourselves up as "logical"

I realize all atheists are not like this (thankfully). But this militant/superior attitude makes me mad. And yes the militant religious folks also make me equally mad.
If you say something exists, it's incumbent upon you to prove it.
The mental hospitals are filled with schizophrenics who believe in imaginary creatures.

Show me a god that you insist exists.
If it were proven, I could go along with it.
Until then, keep your hallucinations to yourself.
 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,905 posts, read 31,799,432 times
Reputation: 12644
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Me neither.

Think about it -- for the atheists, there's no meaning in life, nothing matters. To them all life is just some weird accident, it means nothing. They will die and be buried or cremated and that's all. There is nothing really to live for in the first place. There is nothing that matters, no ultimate Truth. They view themselves as nothing more than some globs of molecules that happen to be able to move around until they can't.
Good grief! You obviously know nothing about atheists do you....I guess according to you I may as well dig a hole, crawl in, then pull it in after me...Your statements have made my list of most ignorant posts....You need to get out more, and actually get to know and atheist or two.
 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,350,468 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Good grief! You obviously know nothing about atheists do you....I guess according to you I may as well dig a hole, crawl in, then pull it in after me...Your statements have made my list of most ignorant posts....You need to get out more, and actually get to know and atheist or two.
The arrogance of faith
 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Camberville
12,058 posts, read 16,795,827 times
Reputation: 19827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Iv' often thought atheists maybe enjoy life more because to them it is all there is without certainty of whats next.
I would argue it's because there is a whole lot more to live for when you are and atheist or agnostic. You get this life - that's it. You don't get heaven or another chance in another life, you have this one. You have just a tiny lifetime to make your mark and improve the world around you. When you follow most of the major faiths, there is no inherent reason to improve other than a text telling you that you should.
 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,809,480 times
Reputation: 6637
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is nothing really to live for in the first place.
There's everything to live for. Our brief existence in the universe.

It's some religious that have nothing to live for. They only wish to die. They only wish for everyone to die. They actively hope for the destruction of the world and all of it's inhabitants.

A bunch of sick ****s
 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,905 posts, read 31,799,432 times
Reputation: 12644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
You believe that there is no God. You can not prove your belief. You are a man of great faith. Don't run from your faith, embrace it.
Is not collecting stamps a hobby....It amazes me that you just don't get something my four year old grand daughter would understand.
 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 PM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,302,156 times
Reputation: 3221
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I've met a few. They don't have the financial burden of supporting the religion business. One less bill makes everyone happy. The happiest people I've met who consume religion have been Buddhists.
This I absolutely agree with
 
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Earth
24,639 posts, read 24,854,418 times
Reputation: 11319
I took the train to Nuremberg today and had a wonderful time.
I guess I must now believe in some god thing because I had fun.
Not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top