U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:20 PM

16,630 posts, read 14,098,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I have heard atheists say this before and it makes absolutely no sense. You accuse religious people of making unprovable claims yet you defend your own claims that are equally unprovable and hold yourselves up as "logical"

I realize all atheists are not like this (thankfully). But this militant/superior attitude makes me mad. And yes the militant religious folks also make me equally mad.
Except I didn't make a claim.

I don't claim god doesn't exist.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:23 PM

8,561 posts, read 5,455,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'll tell you what. Your personal attack is a violation of the TOS. I'll give you five minutes to delete it. If you don't I will report it to a mod. I will not tolerate your unprovoked hate. Your call.
Said the "joyful" Christian.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:23 PM

30,893 posts, read 31,793,503 times
Quote:
I have heard atheists say this before and it makes absolutely no sense. You accuse religious people of making unprovable claims yet you defend your own claims that are equally unprovable and hold yourselves up as "logical"

I realize all atheists are not like this (thankfully). But this militant/superior attitude makes me mad. And yes the militant religious folks also make me equally mad.
What claims does an atheist make other than non belief in god, and show me an atheist who says this claim is provable....Myself and every other atheist I know has never even attempted to prove the unprovable...It is not logical or possible.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,347,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Except I didn't make a claim.

I don't claim god doesn't exist.
Actually, most atheists really don't give a flying one. We don't believe, end of story. There is no big intellectual or logical construct .... it is what it is.

It is unfortunate that so many religious people have a real problem with this. Why, for example, did the OP feel the need to start a thread insinuating that atheists were unhappy? Why does she care? How does it affect her life? Why do christians have this deep down need to denigrate others? It seems to go against everything they claim to believe in.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:27 PM

6,968 posts, read 5,426,879 times
Quote:

Before attempting to prove that a god does not exist, that god must first be defined/described/explained, which puts the burden of proof on the person proclaiming the existence of god. The default position re all gods is that there aren't any.
Quote:
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”
Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,719,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Think about it -- for the atheists, there's no meaning in life, nothing matters. To them all life is just some weird accident, it means nothing.
False.

You assume that those of us who don't rely on the hope that some magical wonderful events will happen after they die have no meaning in life and that nothing matters, that is incorrect. My wife matters to me. My cat matters to me. The Phoenix Suns matter to me. Our retirement savings matter to me. Cold beer matters to me. I have some boudin sausage defrosting in the fridge, that is currently high on the "matters" list and it is directly related to the cold beer. List is almost endless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They view themselves as nothing more than some globs of molecules that happen to be able to move around until they can't.
True.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 PM

15,723 posts, read 9,656,089 times
I really don't get these threads. Is the OP trying to make themselves feel superior? "Oh, I have Jesus, and you don't, therefore you must be miserable". Meanwhile the OP loves to start ridicule threads of anyone who doesn't agree with her (Liberals, atheists, gays, self-reliant women, etc.). Not very Christian in my opinion.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 PM

6,968 posts, read 5,426,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Actually, most atheists really don't give a flying one. We don't believe, end of story. There is no big intellectual or logical construct .... it is what it is.

It is unfortunate that so many religious people have a real problem with this. Why, for example, did the OP feel the need to start a thread insinuating that atheists were unhappy? Why does she care? How does it affect her life? Why do christians have this deep down need to denigrate others? It seems to go against everything they claim to believe in.
This is true.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:34 PM

26,529 posts, read 25,041,265 times
Quote:
If I say that you have the mind of a Muslim terrorist, can you prove that you don't? No, you can't. So then using your logic, it must be true.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:37 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,347,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If I say that you have the mind of a Muslim terrorist, can you prove that you don't? No, you can't. So then using your logic, it must be true.
Ha ... good point. That means that all christians must be terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies